The Student Room Group

Hate Citizen Advice Bureau

Hi,

I went to my Citizen Advice Bureau and wasted 3 hours of my life.

I left home at about 8 and got there about 8:30 only to find that there was a long queue waiting ahead of me. So I decided to be patient and wait.

Once I was inside, I was told to fill in a form. However, since I was representing my mother and she was already on their system I did not have to fill out the whole form. I just had to fill in her first name and surname and tick that she was already registered.

To my suprise, they told me that I had to fill out the whole form, so in my defense I told her that I did not have to. It clearly says on the form, please fill in your first name if you are already registered with us. I asked the woman if she could read English, because she looked about 20 was clearly a college student. She spoke very fluent English when she gave the form to me. She was so rude and told me to fill in the form or to leave, so I decided to fill in the form.

After filling out the form, I was invited inside to speak to an adviser about my representatives problem. I told them that the representative was unable to come due to their poor health, but I was only to find that this scumbag adviser simply telling me that the representative had to be there. I was in such a bad mood that I actually argued with her. She quickly gave up knowing that I knew very good English and was clearly educated unlike the majority of the people in the building.

Thing is, this place is about 30 minutes from my area and to be honest, the area is diverse. It has a lot of immigrants from Asia, Europe and Africa, and I don't want to sound rude or cause offence, but they can't speak English properly yet alone have manners or respect. This was probably a reason why this bureau were so rude and poorly managed.

Thats not the end. I had to go back to the bureau with my representative only to find that we are not allowed back in. The woman said that I was under 18, and that I had to be over 18 to come in. Like WTF, this European let me in 2 hours ago without a fuss, and now she says I'm underage. I'm obviously in my 20's, I have a lot of facial hair etc. I even showed her my ID.

Today has been a reality check of life. I have learnt today that the Citizen Advice Bureau are useless and so rude and that maybe I may have to move elsewhere.
With regard to confidentiality and discussing someone's case without them present, they are right that in that situation they could do nothing. Your mother however can over-ride this by authorising your name to speak on her behalf. But only she can do this, not the staff or volunteers at CAB. It is comforting that they do take it seriously, otherwise I'm sure not many people would have faith in their service if another person could discuss their account
without authorisation.
Reply 2
Original post by brightonlad89
With regard to confidentiality and discussing someone's case without them present, they are right that in that situation they could do nothing. Your mother however can over-ride this by authorising your name to speak on her behalf. But only she can do this, not the staff or volunteers at CAB. It is comforting that they do take it seriously, otherwise I'm sure not many people would have faith in their service if another person could discuss their account
without authorisation.

She's my mother. Why would I lie?

She was very unwell to come.
Sounds like you were unreasonable.

Often people giving advice/confidential information will only deal with the person to whom the information relates (think doctors, lawyers, advice workers etc). It's all very well you saying that you represent your mother... but anyone could rock up to the CAB and say the same.

It isn't unheard of for people to fall out (think ex spouses etc) and for one party to go around trying to dig up information on the other.

Get your mother to arrange for the CAB to take a written authority that you have permission to act on her behalf.
Original post by clubber
She's my mother. Why would I lie?

She was very unwell to come.

Really doesn't matter. The fact is, you are not her, and only she and she alone is authorised to allow another individual to discuss her account. CAB can do nothing about this.

It's standard confidentiality and is there for good reason. You never know an individual's circumstances and who they want to divulge information to. And unfortunately unless your mother had stated otherwise, it is assumed that she has not permitted you access.
Original post by clubber
Hi,

I went to my Citizen Advice Bureau and wasted 3 hours of my life.

I left home at about 8 and got there about 8:30 only to find that there was a long queue waiting ahead of me. So I decided to be patient and wait.

Once I was inside, I was told to fill in a form. However, since I was representing my mother and she was already on their system I did not have to fill out the whole form. I just had to fill in her first name and surname and tick that she was already registered.

To my suprise, they told me that I had to fill out the whole form, so in my defense I told her that I did not have to. It clearly says on the form, please fill in your first name if you are already registered with us. I asked the woman if she could read English, because she looked about 20 was clearly a college student. She spoke very fluent English when she gave the form to me. She was so rude and told me to fill in the form or to leave, so I decided to fill in the form.

After filling out the form, I was invited inside to speak to an adviser about my representatives problem. I told them that the representative was unable to come due to their poor health, but I was only to find that this scumbag adviser simply telling me that the representative had to be there. I was in such a bad mood that I actually argued with her. She quickly gave up knowing that I knew very good English and was clearly educated unlike the majority of the people in the building.

Thing is, this place is about 30 minutes from my area and to be honest, the area is diverse. It has a lot of immigrants from Asia, Europe and Africa, and I don't want to sound rude or cause offence, but they can't speak English properly yet alone have manners or respect. This was probably a reason why this bureau were so rude and poorly managed.

Thats not the end. I had to go back to the bureau with my representative only to find that we are not allowed back in. The woman said that I was under 18, and that I had to be over 18 to come in. Like WTF, this European let me in 2 hours ago without a fuss, and now she says I'm underage. I'm obviously in my 20's, I have a lot of facial hair etc. I even showed her my ID.

Today has been a reality check of life. I have learnt today that the Citizen Advice Bureau are useless and so rude and that maybe I may have to move elsewhere.

I have just recently started working at the citizens advice and confidentiality is one of the things that we are big on. There are many many cases and conflict can arise. As regards to your situation, as others have said...your mother needs to give a written form of authorization otherwise we could be in trouble for breaching her confidentiality with you even though you are her daughter.

We have no way of knowing that you are who you claim you are.
My personal experience of CAB was also pretty negative. I needed a bit of help filling in a divorce application (hope I don't get kicked out of here for being old enough to do that). Spouse had been vaguely threatening to go after my money, so I just wanted to be sure I wasn't scoring any own goals on my application form. The adviser declared that the spouse would definitely push the money claim (he couldn't have known that of course), and that I needed a solicitor. He warned me against bad lawyers who would charge huge fees, and directed me to a lawyer of his choice. Well, I got a couple of my several questions answered by the lawyer's assistant for free, but he also quickly got rid of me, and all the firm would offer me was to take over the whole case for £600. "That's a lot," I said, "How much for just one more brief session to go over that form, and then I'll take it from there myself?" Solicitor refused that option point blank. All I wanted was free or cheap guidance on filling in that form. I'd made that clear from the start. But both the CAB guy and the solicitor tried to impose their own agenda. My suspicion is that the adviser tried to scaremonger me into buying into the costly services of his crony, which I didn't need. So I decided to trudge on alone and do the job myself, with the aid of the Web and my own brain. I could yet turn out to be wrong, but all the signs are that the spouse has backed down from the money demands. The process is slightly tricky here and there, but by no means impossible. And of course lawyers don't offer any warranty on their services. The adviser just didn't listen to me. They seemed to be trying to get shut of me ASAP from the moment I arrived. Try them if you wish, but don't be surprised if you get nowhere without thumping the table a bit, and even that might not get you the service they purport to offer. But, my experiences might not be typical.
Yeah and the CAB needs to ask before taking data and tell us how it will be used. When I went in this did not happen and the bloke kept asking me questions. It felt like he needed to know more than I did when in fact I had dropped in to ask YOU some flipping questions. He didnt ask my permission to record my data nor tell me what he was going to do with it. So confidentiality isn't a strong point with the CAB is it?
Original post by Coffeegirl
I have just recently started working at the citizens advice and confidentiality is one of the things that we are big on. There are many many cases and conflict can arise. As regards to your situation, as others have said...your mother needs to give a written form of authorization otherwise we could be in trouble for breaching her confidentiality with you even though you are her daughter.

We have no way of knowing that you are who you claim you are.

Yeah and the CAB needs to ask before taking data and tell us how it will be used. When I went in this did not happen and the bloke kept asking me questions. It felt like he needed to know more than I did when in fact I had dropped in to ask YOU some flipping questions. He didnt ask my permission to record my data nor tell me what he was going to do with it. So confidentiality isn't a strong point with the CAB is it?
Original post by toughdiamond
My personal experience of CAB was also pretty negative. I needed a bit of help filling in a divorce application (hope I don't get kicked out of here for being old enough to do that). Spouse had been vaguely threatening to go after my money, so I just wanted to be sure I wasn't scoring any own goals on my application form. The adviser declared that the spouse would definitely push the money claim (he couldn't have known that of course), and that I needed a solicitor. He warned me against bad lawyers who would charge huge fees, and directed me to a lawyer of his choice. Well, I got a couple of my several questions answered by the lawyer's assistant for free, but he also quickly got rid of me, and all the firm would offer me was to take over the whole case for £600. "That's a lot," I said, "How much for just one more brief session to go over that form, and then I'll take it from there myself?" Solicitor refused that option point blank. All I wanted was free or cheap guidance on filling in that form. I'd made that clear from the start. But both the CAB guy and the solicitor tried to impose their own agenda. My suspicion is that the adviser tried to scaremonger me into buying into the costly services of his crony, which I didn't need. So I decided to trudge on alone and do the job myself, with the aid of the Web and my own brain. I could yet turn out to be wrong, but all the signs are that the spouse has backed down from the money demands. The process is slightly tricky here and there, but by no means impossible. And of course lawyers don't offer any warranty on their services. The adviser just didn't listen to me. They seemed to be trying to get shut of me ASAP from the moment I arrived. Try them if you wish, but don't be surprised if you get nowhere without thumping the table a bit, and even that might not get you the service they purport to offer. But, my experiences might not be typical.

The CAB does have its own agenda, lots of so called 'charities' are up to no good we all know that now, so why not the CAB. They want people who know nothing about how best to be treated and they take them over. Thats their job, if you have an any intelligence yourself you wont get on with them. They are control freaks. I dealt with my own stuff so far. They said I had a case set up before I even knew it. I asked them to destroy all the data they had and to send me a copy before they did so. It is my data and they just want it to balloon themselves up. They asked my previous occupation and did I draw down my pension and all sorts of private info before I had even decided to sign them up. They presume they know best and that everyone else wants them. I was told I was 'very lucky' in a very patronising way that I had been given an appointment within a week. I just laughed. It is funny isn't it, you give some dumbo some power and they get caught up and up their own bum.
It didnt used to be like that not years ago, I was respected and helped through a bankruptcy in 2009 by a lovely woman and it all turned out good for me. I wouldn't go back again now. Ewwwwwwww creeepyyyyy people. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending