The Student Room Group

Maths Module Difficulty

I am just curious to see what people think about the difficulty of each of the maths modules and I am interested to see what order other people rank them. This isn't for any specific purpose I just want peoples opinions on the maths modules they are taking. It doesn't need to be both maths and further maths just as many maths modules as you're doing/have done.

Mine is (from easiest to hardest):
C1,
D1,
S1,
M1,
C2,
S2,
FP1,
C3,
C4,
FP4,
FP3,
FP2

Edit: Also write your exam board since they differ. My exam board is AQA.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by crayolaguy
I am just curious to see what people think about the difficulty of each of the maths modules and I am interested to see what order other people rank them. This isn't for any specific purpose I just want peoples opinions on the maths modules they are taking. It doesn't need to be both maths and further maths just as many maths modules as you're doing/have done.

Mine is (from easiest to hardest):
C1,
D1,
S1,
M1,
C2,
S2,
FP1,
C3,
C4,
FP4,
FP3,
FP2

Does'n that depend on the board?
You are including FP4 which suggests that you are referring to AQA
Out of the modules I've done so far...

C1
D1
S1
C2
M1
C4
M2
FP1
C3
FP2

This is for Edexcel.
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
Does'n that depend on the board?
You are including FP4 which suggests that you are referring to AQA

That's true I forgot to mention that I'll edit it. But yes I am on AQA for all of them.
Reply 4
That's true I forgot to mention that I'll edit it. But yes I am on AQA for all of them.

makes sense

:smile:
I'm currently doing maths and further maths as.
From easiest to hardest in descending order.
C1
C2
FP1
M1
M2
S1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Chlorophile
Out of the modules I've done so far...

C1
D1
S1
C2
M1
C4
M2
FP1
C3
FP2

This is for Edexcel.

Hmmm.. interesting choices. You find C4 really easy? also I'd why do you think M1 is more difficult than C2?
Out of the ones I've done, also for AQA

C1
D1
S1
C2
M1
C3
S2
FP1
D2
M2
C4
FP2
Reply 8
Original post by Joshthemathmo
I'm currently doing maths and further maths as.
From easiest to hardest in descending order.
C1
C2
FP1
M1
M2
S1

Posted from TSR Mobile

You must hate stats 1 haha.
Reply 9
Difficult to categorise them all. Personally, I found C1-C4, FP1-FP2, M1-M2, S1-S2 and D1-D2 all of a similar difficulty and M3-M5 noticeably more of a challenge (on Edexcel).
Reply 10
Original post by Noble.
Difficult to categorise them all. Personally, I found C1-C4, FP1-FP2, M1-M2, S1-S2 and D1-D2 all of a similar difficulty and M3-M5 noticeably more of a challenge (on Edexcel).

I'd somewhat agree with that I think that all the AS modules are all similar in difficulty and all the A2 modules are similar in difficulty but there is a noticable difference between AS and A2. but yeah, I stayed away from mechanics as I'm only doing M1 as i've heard they're very difficult.
C1 (edxcel)
C2 (edx)
D1 (mei)
S1 (edx)
Fp1 (MeI)
NM (mei)

These are all I have done so far
C1
S1
C2
S2
FP1
M1
C3
D1
C4

Edexcel - Was tempted to put D1 as the worst as I hate it but I think C4 gets the edge
Reply 13
I'd somewhat agree with that I think that all the AS modules are all similar in difficulty and all the A2 modules are similar in difficulty but there is a noticable difference between AS and A2. but yeah, I stayed away from mechanics as I'm only doing M1 as i've heard they're very difficult.

I didn't really notice a jump from AS to A2. Lots of people stay away from the mechanics, but for anyone wanting to studying maths/physics/engineering at university they should be a pre-requisite (I knew a fair few people applying for physics/engineering who avoided the mechanics modules, and didn't quite understand the mentality...)
Reply 14
Original post by Noble.
I didn't really notice a jump from AS to A2. Lots of people stay away from the mechanics, but for anyone wanting to studying maths/physics/engineering at university they should be a pre-requisite (I knew a fair few people applying for physics/engineering who avoided the mechanics modules, and didn't quite understand the mentality...)

I'm planning on doing maths at university. The reason I avoided them is because I wanted to do all the further pures so they didn't really fit, I also wanted to do all 3 AS applied modules meaning I had a choice between S2 and M2 and I just picked S2... Though looking back M2 may have been a better option.
Reply 15
Original post by TajwarC
C1
S1
C2
S2
FP1
M1
C3
D1
C4

Edexcel - Was tempted to put D1 as the worst as I hate it but I think C4 gets the edge

damn, I didn't like D1 through the whole year because I couldn't ever be bothered with it. Then weeks before the exam I actually learned what was happening and liked it.
Hmmm.. interesting choices. You find C4 really easy? also I'd why do you think M1 is more difficult than C2?

Yeah, I did find C4 pretty easy, definitely in comparison to C3. I think M1 is probably similar-ish in difficulty to C2 but the exams can be more unpredictable.
Original post by Noble.

You're saying that FP2 is of similar difficulty to C1?
Reply 18
Original post by Chlorophile
You're saying that FP2 is of similar difficulty to C1?

No, just that I didn't find it anymore difficult learning FP2 (which would be a year later) than when learning C1.
Original post by Noble.
No, just that I didn't find it anymore difficult learning FP2 (which would be a year later) than when learning C1.

Personally, I think M1 and FP2 have been the biggest challenges for me. M1 because the whole idea of modelling was completely new for me and FP2 because the amount of content and the conceptual difficulty of those concepts seems to eclipse anything I've seen in any of the other maths modules I've done so far.

Quick Reply

Latest