The Student Room Group

What do deamanination and detoxification both do???

IGCSE Human Biology Help.
Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2
??????????
Original post by elmosandy

Moved to Biology section, however you might want to try and expand a little on your question as that might be the reason no one has answered yet. :smile:
Reply 4

Deamination is removal of an amine group from from a molecule, normally amino acids in biology. Lots of important reasons for that. You'll have to expand on what you mean by detoxification (other than it is ridding toxins from some system) and what it is about deamination you need to know.
Reply 5
Original post by Physical
Deamination is removal of an amine group from from a molecule, normally amino acids in biology. Lots of important reasons for that. You'll have to expand on what you mean by detoxification (other than it is ridding toxins from some system) and what it is about deamination you need to know.

Why they're connected and what's the difference???

Deamination is the removal of an amine group from a molecule with an amine group.
Detoxification is the metabolism of a toxic compound to a non-toxic compound, or the excretion of a toxic compound. Can you see how these two processes are fundamentally different?

Thinking about what you know about metabolism and digestion, can you think of any cases where there'd be a link between deamination and detoxification? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Depending what level you're at (A levels, undergrad, etc?), most likely wants you to know that when nitrogen containing compounds (normally amino acids) are broken down in the body, the nitrogen metabolite (normally in the form of ammonia -ammonium at physiological pH) is toxic and so needs to be excreted.

The urea cycle deals with this by coupling deamination of amino acids with formation of urea, a nitrogen containing compound that is less toxic than free ammonia. The urea can be more 'safely' excreted from the cell/body.

(the urea cycle also has transamination events, that transfer amine groups to keto acids for use in other metabolic pathways, but I'm guessing from your question your not needing to know that sport of stuff).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Physical
Depending what level you're at (A levels, undergrad, etc?), most likely wants you to know that when nitrogen containing compounds (normally amino acids) are broken down in the body, the nitrogen metabolite (normally in the form of ammonia -ammonium at physiological pH) is toxic and so needs to be excreted.

The urea cycle deals with this by coupling deamination of amino acids with formation of urea, a nitrogen containing compound that is less toxic than free ammonia. The urea can be more 'safely' excreted from the cell/body.

(the urea cycle also has transamination events, that transfer amine groups to keto acids for use in other metabolic pathways, but I'm guessing from your question your not needing to know that sport of stuff).

Woah man, i'm only at IGCSE.

Yeah I don't need to know all that I think just why they're different and how are they connected
Reply 9
Woah man, i'm only at IGCSE.

Yeah I don't need to know all that I think just why they're different and how are they connected

What is the wording of the question you are trying to answer?

The answer above my answer that you quoted sums up the two in a simple way.

Deamination = amine group (R-NH2) removed from a molecule (the molecule being represented as R in the previous brackets)

(molecule)-NH2 -- deamination--> (molecules) + NH3

Detoxification = neutralisation and/or excretion of toxic substances from a cell/body

Ammonia (a toxic substance) -- detoxification --> urea (a less toxic substance that can be excreted)

Connection: deamination of the nutrients, amino acids, results in free ammonia (NH3) - ammonia is a toxic substance to a cell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending