The Student Room Group

How much will insurance go up by after an accident?

Had an accident yesterday. At the time, it was both mine and the other driver's fault but technically, according to the insurer, I'm at fault (which I fully accept).

I've had my full driving license since July 2013 and until yesterday had a no claims bonus of 2 years, so my insurance premium was very reasonable. (£685 for the past year)

However, now I've had the accident, will my premium go up to £1300 (I'm roughly guessing this is average for a new driver with no claims) or significantly higher? Does anyone have experience in this?

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM - for cheap car insurance

Check Endsleigh - they do student car insurance with significant discounts
If that doesn't work for you, try searching:
confused.com
gocompare.com
www.moneysupermarket.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by SleepingLion3
Had an accident yesterday. At the time, it was both mine and the other driver's fault but technically, according to the insurer, I'm at fault (which I fully accept).

I've had my full driving license since July 2013 and until yesterday had a no claims bonus of 2 years, so my insurance premium was very reasonable. (£685 for the past year)

However, now I've had the accident, will my premium go up to £1300 (I'm roughly guessing this is average for a new driver with no claims) or significantly higher? Does anyone have experience in this?

edited I am not an expert
(edited 9 years ago)
The best way to find out is to go to your insurers website, start a new quote and input all of your details etc as they are now, but remove your no claims (as this will now obviously go to 0 years) and then put in you've had an accident and get quote. Will you give you a rough estimate that'll be more reliable than any of our guesses :-)
Original post by TenOfThem
You will probably lose a year's no-claims so things will increase but not significantly higher

Though I am not an expert

No. It's not just about losing the no claims bonus - the fact that one has had a crash means they're statistically more likely to crash again.

Could go up a lot more than expected, could hardly go up. Depends obligated factors, none of which we can answer.

The OP needs to find this out from the insurers directly.
Thanks everyone for your answers. Yes I know the lack of no claims bonus isn't the issue, but the fact I've now had an accident.

I intend to get a quote from them once everything has been sorted out.
I just didn't want to start getting quotes from websites yet, purely because the majority end up taking your phone number and bugging you to buy their insurance.

Really, I just wondered if anyone had had a similar experience and have a rough idea whether the premium would rocket.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine went up by £930....

Well it was £641 more but I had £290 excess

My insurance should have been say £500 this year, but because I claimed, it destroys your no claims bonus :frown: So I paid £1141(ish) and £290 on top.

As a percentage, my insurance shot up almost 300%

The world of insurance is just...wonderful
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SleepingLion3
Thanks everyone for your answers. Yes I know the lack of no claims bonus isn't the issue, but the fact I've now had an accident.

I intend to get a quote from them once everything has been sorted out.
I just didn't want to start getting quotes from websites yet, purely because the majority end up taking your phone number and bugging you to buy their insurance.

Really, I just wondered if anyone had had a similar experience and have a rough idea whether the premium would rocket.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, it varies wildly and everyone is different. Theres no hard and fast rule as to how much it goes up. It depends on a number of factors, such as your age, where you live, how long you have had your licence, which insurance company you are with etc etc etc.
According to No Claims Bonus you are likely to lose both years no claims that you have earned so I suspect it will be close to what you paid in your first year.
I had a non fault claim. My insurance went up 20% this was a figure quoted by my insurance company at the time. This is a non fault. so it must be horrific for a fault claim.
Reply 9
Original post by de_monies
Mine went up by £930....

Well it was £641 more but I had £290 excess

My insurance should have been say £500 this year, but because I claimed, it destroys your no claims bonus :frown: So I paid £1141(ish) and £290 on top.

As a percentage, my insurance shot up almost 300%

The world of insurance is just...wonderful

would it have been cheaper to pay for the damage yourself and keep your no claims bonus looking back at it?
Original post by Walkaah
would it have been cheaper to pay for the damage yourself and keep your no claims bonus looking back at it?

Apparently the damage cost £900 as well so it evens out I guess?
Original post by Sam Walters
I had a non fault claim. My insurance went up 20% this was a figure quoted by my insurance company at the time. This is a non fault. so it must be horrific for a fault claim.

At the time of renewal, they go on an assumed "at fault" status, so yeah mine went up almost 300%
Apparently the damage cost £900 as well so it evens out I guess?

gooooooooooooood morning madame!
I put my details in compare websites and also put in that I had a at fault accident, my premium went up by about £500, from paying £1100 to like £1500/1600
At the time of renewal, they go on an assumed "at fault" status, so yeah mine went up almost 300%

Nah mine was a clear cut thing really. I wasnt at fault. She admitted she was at fault. Still cost me money though.
Earlier this month this woman hit my car at the back. I was inside my car and it was securely parked on the car. The woman took responsibility for the accident and her insurance gave me a ring and asked me to go to their garages. After my car was booked in to go for repair, 3 days later some other old man driver hit me again at exactly the same place in Tesco whilst trying to park next to me and he didn't stop at all and went in to park somewhere else. But lucky enough some other people saw him and made an announcement in Tesco with my car reg for me to go outside. I waited for this driver who hit me to finish his shopping and he took responsibility as well. He said he was gonna put a note on my car but I didn't think so. The whole situation was complicated because both drivers hit me on the same place. I told the woman's insurance what had happened and they just decided to fix my car since the 2nd driver didn't do much more damage anyway. The garage had my car for 2 weeks and they gave me a 2013 nice courtesy car to use. The whole cost for the claim was around 1200 and I didn't pay for anything. I renewed my insurance 3 weeks after both accidents and it didn't affect my premiums at all because it wasn't my fault
Thanks for the reply but not very relevant because the accident I had was theoretically my fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending