The Student Room Group

Have you ever received a back-handed compliment?

--

Scroll to see replies

What do you mean by "back-handed" ?
Original post by coolerthanbeans
What do you mean by "back-handed" ?

It's a compliment which is also insulting.
I knew someone who seemed to speak only in back-handed compliments. Fortunately I don't know them anymore.
Reply 4
Not that I can remember, but my sister has. Someone said to her 'you could be pretty'.
Would "you're good at flopping" count? If so, then yes.
Original post by iammeyouareyou
--

Have you?
Not been said to me but 'you're pretty for (insert race).'
Someone once told me I'm 'really good looking in a weird, freaky way'. Well, it's unusual I suppose!
Reply 9
I think any guy that has ever received the dreaded "aww, you're a really great friend", can say yes.
Reply 10
yeah

then i gave them the backhand and i haven't had any since
**** Yes..
Called Pikachu. -__-
"You'd be really pretty if you lost weight"

:angry:
"You're pretty too...in your own way"
Original post by hellodave5
Have you?

I don't think I have. That's why I asked if anyone else had.

One of my cousins was told that her sister is really pretty and that she, herself, is even prettier but doesn't look as good because she is overweight and should lose some weight in order to look better.
Don't worry... It's good to be different :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
''When my brother saw you for the first time in 4 years he thought you were anorexic." And "you look emaciated!" I'm 5'2. I was 135lbs at the time. Still fat (body fat percentage was 26%) but my cousins who hadn't seen me in a long time went crazy. My highest weight was about 190lbs. That's what they were used to. Now I'm at 125lbs and because they don't know how to deal with the shock I get back handed compliments all the time. Same from my aunts and friends, but they're worse because they're envious.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
It's a compliment which is also insulting.

you're quite intelligent for a woman
That I look better with my glasses on. I still took it as a compliment rather than an insult but its just weird that some people think I look better with some metal on my face as opposed to looking natural lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Precious Illusions
Someone once told me I'm 'really good looking in a weird, freaky way'. Well, it's unusual I suppose!

Heh, I don't think that's a back-handed compliment. Looking at your picture you certainly do have a "quirky" look. Past a baseline level of attractiveness determined by supply and demand, the more uniqueness (personality or looks) the better

Quick Reply

Latest