The Student Room Group

2015 ucas offers for btec applicants

Hey everyone!

As the title indicates, this thread is for current BTEC students applying to university. There has not been many, if any, threads created for BTEC applicants. With the rise in popularity of the BTEC qualification being an alternative route in to university, I think it'll be great to see that part of the TSR come out, even if it is a minority. Being a student studying towards a BTEC qualification, I'm keen to see where others have applied to and where they receive offers from.

The layout of your post should be as follows:

Current qualification:
Prediction grades:
University course choice(s):
University options & entry requirements:
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Any offers/expecting offers?:

An example of this will be the layout filled out in my case:

Current qualification: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering
Prediction grades: D*D*D*
University course choice(s): BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering
1) University of Bath (D*D*D*)
2) University of Bristol (DDD)
3) University of Leeds (D*DD)
4) University of Sheffield (DDD)
5) Aston University (D*D*D)

Any offers/expecting offers?: No offers as of yet, hoping for at least 2/5.

Update 22/11/14: Received offers from the University of Leeds and Aston University, still awaiting decisions to be made from the remaining 3 universities.

Update 04/12/13: Received an offer from the University of Bath. Awaiting for a decision from the remaining 2 universities.

Update: 08/08/15: Didn't really follow this through but to provide an update, I received all five offers with my firm and insurance being Bristol and Bath. Achieving D*D*D*, I have got an unconditional offer from both my firm and insurance, so will be studying at the University of Bristol from September!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by iRaii
Hey everyone!

As the title indicates, this thread is for current BTEC students applying to university. There has not been many, if any, threads created for BTEC applicants. With the rise in popularity of the BTEC qualification being an alternative route in to university, I think it'll be great to see that part of the TSR come out, even if it is a minority. Being a student studying towards a BTEC qualification, I'm keen to see where others have applied to and where they receive offers from.

The layout of your post should be as follows:

Current qualification:
Prediction grades:
University course choice(s):
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

An example of this will be the layout filled out in my case:

Current qualification: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering
1) University of Bath (D*D*D*)
2) University of Bristol (DDD)
3) University of Leeds (D*DD)
4) University of Sheffield (DDD)
5) Aston University (D*D*D)

Any offers/expecting offers?: No offers as of yet, hoping for at least 2/5.

Sorry, but just a question from a curious student, what would you say about you experience of btec's. Are they hard?
Reply 2
Original post by jaquele
Sorry, but just a question from a curious student, what would you say about you experience of btec's. Are they hard?

I would personally say that it has its own set of challenges. What I mean by that is, it's not as academically rigorous as A-levels, however can be practically challenging. I know that in my case, I enjoy learning the theory at a mediocre level and then applying it into practice, however I now want to learn the theory at a greater depth whilst still applying that knowledge into practice, therefore university/higher education is my next step.

Now the argument is, university is academically rigorous and only A-level/IB (for 16-19 y/o) applicants should be only allowed entry due it best preparing students for higher education. I agree with that to the extent that it depends on the BTEC studied. In my case it is for engineering, therefore holds more weight in its relevance towards my higher education study. To make slightly more sense in what I've just said, for an A-level applicant in any engineering discipline, they will have to adapt during the first year in applying there vast knowledge in to practice. For a BTEC applicant in any engineering discipline, they will have to adapt during the first year in gaining the knowledge required (math especially) and to develop the necessary academic rigor as required.

Apologies for the elongated reply, but to answer your question, they both require different mindsets, whilst both also set different challenges, therefore it depends on the type of learner studying the qualification to determine whether it's hard or not for them. In my case, no; in another persons case it may be, so yes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by iRaii
I would personally say that it has its own set of challenges. What I mean by that is, it's not as academically rigorous as A-levels, however can be practically challenging. I know that in my case, I enjoy learning the theory at a mediocre level and then applying it into practice, however I now want to learn the theory at a greater depth whilst still applying that knowledge into practice, therefore university/higher education is my next step.

Now the argument is, university is academically rigorous and only A-level/IB (for 16-19 y/o) applicants should be only allowed entry due it best preparing students for higher education. I agree with that to the extent that it depends on the BTEC studied. In my case it is for engineering, therefore holds more weight in its relevance towards my higher education study. To make slightly more sense in what I've just said, for an A-level applicant in any engineering discipline, they will have to adapt during the first year in applying there vast knowledge in to practice. For a BTEC applicant in any engineering discipline, they will have to adapt during the first year in gaining the knowledge required (math especially) and to develop the necessary academic rigor as required.

Apologies for the elongated reply, but to answer your question, they both require different mindsets, whilst both also set different challenges, therefore it depends on the type of learner studying the qualification to determine whether it's hard or not for them. In my case, no; in another persons case it may be, so yes.

its ok. I do better with exam based courses as i tend to put myself in a better mindset in an exam. I slack off when doing coursework most of the time lol. Thanks i would rate the post but i have reached my limit lol
Reply 4
Original post by jaquele
its ok. I do better with exam based courses as i tend to put myself in a better mindset in an exam. I slack off when doing coursework most of the time lol. Thanks i would rate the post but i have reached my limit lol

It's no problem!

That would probably be a good example of you being that type of learner. A BTEC qualification would require constant work throughout the year which count towards the final grade, where as for A-levels, the final grade counts from the set of exams taken in May/June. The big difference would be that, for a BTEC, missing one deadline would not majorly hinder your final grade since you may be able to extend that deadline, for A-levels, your final grade mostly consists of your performance in the exams, which now can only be taken at the end of the year since January exams have been ridden of, therefore placing more pressure on the learner.
Reply 5
Original post by iRaii
It's no problem!

That would probably be a good example of you being that type of learner. A BTEC qualification would require constant work throughout the year which count towards the final grade, where as for A-levels, the final grade counts from the set of exams taken in May/June. The big difference would be that, for a BTEC, missing one deadline would not majorly hinder your final grade since you may be able to extend that deadline, for A-levels, your final grade mostly consists of your performance in the exams, which now can only be taken at the end of the year since January exams have been ridden of, therefore placing more pressure on the learner.

yea. A levels are not for everyone. Honestly i don't see why btec's are not credited as much as a levels. Its a style of learning that suits different people.
Reply 6
Original post by jaquele
yea. A levels are not for everyone. Honestly i don't see why btec's are not credited as much as a levels. Its a style of learning that suits different people.

Quite right! Most universities regard them both on a par in terms of UCAS points, although A-levels are the preferred qualification.
Reply 7
Original post by iRaii
Quite right! Most universities regard them both on a par in terms of UCAS points, although A-levels are the preferred qualification.

i think it is only more credible because exams tend to be more vigorous that coursework and you can generally use more recurses when writing up assignments, while exams you are given a pen and you are expected to present you knowledge on the spot, but still it is a different type, you learn the same amount of knowledge.
Reply 8
Original post by jaquele
i think it is only more credible because exams tend to be more vigorous that coursework and you can generally use more recurses when writing up assignments, while exams you are given a pen and you are expected to present you knowledge on the spot, but still it is a different type, you learn the same amount of knowledge.

Well exactly. The main reason why most BTEC applicants will get interviewed before offered a place is so that the university can see whether the student is suitable but more importantly has understood the knowledge they have gained as opposed to not understanding and not learning. No 2 BTEC students who have achieved 'DDD' lets say are the same.
Reply 9
Original post by iRaii
Well exactly. The main reason why most BTEC applicants will get interviewed before offered a place is so that the university can see whether the student is suitable but more importantly has understood the knowledge they have gained as opposed to not understanding and not learning. No 2 BTEC students who have achieved 'DDD' lets say are the same.

the education system in england is a bit messed up anyway. In most of my a level classes all we do is talk about study skills and i debate whether i am actually going to retain any of the information after a few years. smh!!! And having a target of A*AA makes it even worse. I don't learn, i procrastinate and revise lol
Reply 10
bump
Reply 11
Current qualification: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business
Prediction grades: D*DD
University course choice(s): International business with a year in industry or year aboard
1) University of Liverpool (D*DD)
2) Chester University(DMM) Conditional Offer
3) Manchester Met University (DMM) Conditional Offer
4) University of Kent (DDD or DDM)
5) Salford University (300 UCAS Points) Conditional Offer

I am hoping to receive 4/5 offers. I am hoping to get a offer from The University of Liverpool
Current qualification: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Predicted grades: D*D*D*

1) Nottingham University (DDD)
2) Liverpool University (D*DD)
3) Aston University (DDD)
4) Manchester University (DDD)
5) Lancaster University (DDM)

I'm really want to get into Nottingham. I've applied to do an engineering foundation year there, which will hopefully prepare me for maths and physics stuff in the actual degree. Although the other uni's also offer a FD, Nottingham is one of the few that actually teach at the itself university and not some random college nearby.

I'm also hoping to get into Lancaster (despite being a top uni it has the lowest grade requirements) but I'm worried that my GCSE in maths might hinder my application (I only got a C when they require a B). I'm going to contact them and see if they would be willing to offer me a place on the condition I re-sit the Maths GCSE and get a B or high.
Hello everyone!

My application so far:

Current qualification: BTEC extended diploma in IT
Predicted grades: D*D*D*
University course choice: Computer Science
1) University of Nottingham (rejected)
2) Newcastle University (DDD - applicant day/interview)
3) University of Leeds (D*DD - yet to respond)
4) Lancaster University (offer!: DDD/DDM)
5) Aston University (offer!: D*DD)

Received my rejection from Nottingham today, it was my top choice but I was half expecting a rejection really so i'm not too bothered!

I really liked all of my 5 choices and would be really happy to go to any of them - although after Nottingham I guess the top spot will be between Newcastle (assuming I get an offer) and Lancaster - they are very different universities but both very good. I'm just not sure where I'd prefer to spend the next few years of my life yet!

Anyway are there any other BTEC applicants going for Computer Science? It would be interesting seeing how others are faring or people in a similar position to myself :smile:
I am currently doing btec science, btec law and philosophy and ethics.
predicted- D,D*,A respectively
applying to study law at:
lancaster
liverpool
birmingham
Leicester
chester
fingers crossed 😑

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by steelman1000
I am currently doing btec science, btec law and philosophy and ethics.
predicted- D,D*,A respectively
applying to study law at:
lancaster
liverpool
birmingham
Leicester
chester
fingers crossed ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

have you done your LNAT?
Original post by rkhan57
have you done your LNAT?

no am sending my application off this week 😣

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by steelman1000
no am sending my application off this week ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am applying to Birmingham to study law too! :smile:
Original post by rkhan57
I am applying to Birmingham to study law too! :smile:

great!! what are your subjects and predicted grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Current qualification: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care
University course choice(s): Paramedic Practice/Science
1)University Of East Anglia DDD
2)University Of Hertfordshire DMM
3)University of Northampton DDM
4)University of West England (Bristol) DDM
5)University of Brighton DDM

Interview invite from UEA and Brighton so far :smile: