The Student Room Group

significance of the existence of L’Action française in the interwar years?

What was the significance of the existence and activities of L’Action française in the interwar years?

Just need a few bullet points, not a lot of detail.

Completely clueless.
Reply 1
Hi !
L'Action Française was a antisemitic, xenophobic and royalist newspaper at the head of which was Charles Maurras. It's famous for its implication in the "Affaire Dreyfys" (1894)
During the "Entre-deux Guerres", it developped its audience mainly with anti-feministic points of view, as well as support of the various facist regimes.
The publication and succes that this newspaper recieved shows that during that period, there were still many people in France who had racist, and extremely right-winged, POVs.
Hope that this helps.
If I may ask, what is it for ?
Reply 2
Original post by Mayanne
Hi !
L'Action Française was a antisemitic, xenophobic and royalist newspaper at the head of which was Charles Maurras. It's famous for its implication in the "Affaire Dreyfys" (1894)
During the "Entre-deux Guerres", it developped its audience mainly with anti-feministic points of view, as well as support of the various facist regimes.
The publication and succes that this newspaper recieved shows that during that period, there were still many people in France who had racist, and extremely right-winged, POVs.
Hope that this helps.

Thanks, some good points for me to research in more detail!!
It is for a presentation. I know more of Spanish history, not really French. But it is a module I am taking this semester.
Reply 3
Original post by xirles1995
Thanks, some good points for me to research in more detail!!
It is for a presentation. I know more of Spanish history, not really French. But it is a module I am taking this semester.

You're welcome. It's funny you should ask that, I had a test about this today !
Which uni are you at ?
Reply 4
Original post by Mayanne
Hi !
Hope that this helps.

Sorry, I made a mistake. "Action Française" was very much "nationnaliste" (I have no idea who you say that in English"), and so, extremey anti-germanic, because they thought nazi germany was a threat to France, but they didn't actually have a problem with the nazi doctrine. In fact they supported Hitler's antisemitic point of view
Reply 5
Original post by Mayanne
Sorry, I made a mistake. "Action Française" was very much "nationnaliste" (I have no idea who you say that in English"), and so, extremey anti-germanic, because they thought nazi germany was a threat to France, but they didn't actually have a problem with the nazi doctrine. In fact they supported Hitler's antisemitic point of view

Thanks! Queens!
Would you say there are any links between the Action Francaise and the intellectual life? For example, humanism, dadaism, iconoclasm?
Reply 6
Original post by xirles1995
Thanks! Queens!
Would you say there are any links between the Action Francaise and the intellectual life? For example, humanism, dadaism, iconoclasm?

Honestly, I have no idea. The only reason I know about the "Action Française" is because I'm studying the Affaire Dreyfus in History class.
Sorry :redface:

Quick Reply