The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C7jnr
Not to sound arrogant or anything, but how likely are you to get an offer for a place if you have decent enough application and do economics and economic history at lse?

what division, what bank do you want an offer from, what extra currics have you done since starting lse, what is your cv like, what is your cover letter likes. Just a few of the variables, its literally impossible to say what is a decent app unless you know you fulfil the above very well
Original post by welcometoib
what division, what bank do you want an offer from, what extra currics have you done since starting lse, what is your cv like, what is your cover letter likes. Just a few of the variables, its literally impossible to say what is a decent app unless you know you fulfil the above very well

fair enough, but how often do people recon these places handed out? would it be easy or hard to get an offer for say the average applicant here?
Original post by C7jnr
fair enough, but how often do people recon these places handed out? would it be easy or hard to get an offer for say the average applicant here?

i dont understand the first q sorry, and its extremely tough to get a sw for an average applicant
Random Q: What sort of course would be seen as stronger for IBanking, finance related out of a degree in Maths, Economics, Stats & Finance, Econ & Maths/Econometrics?
Original post by Rkai01
Random Q: What sort of course would be seen as stronger for IBanking, finance related out of a degree in Maths, Economics, Stats & Finance, Econ & Maths/Econometrics?

Depends for which area of the bank, for more quantitative roles you would obviously need a mathematical degree, but say for IBD any degree is fine
Hi everyone, do we apply to the insight week if we're a language student with a year abroad? I know it's normally your second year in a four year course but it seems strange that we're then expected to apply for internships in our year abroad where going through the assessment centre/interview stage will be a real logistical challenge. Any idea whether it's worth just applying now and then seeing what happens later?
Original post by Blargh1
Hi everyone, do we apply to the insight week if we're a language student with a year abroad? I know it's normally your second year in a four year course but it seems strange that we're then expected to apply for internships in our year abroad where going through the assessment centre/interview stage will be a real logistical challenge. Any idea whether it's worth just applying now and then seeing what happens later?

If you are due to graduate in 2018, you will be rejected automatically.

There are planes, for interviews. It will be a determinent of your motivation for banking, if you will.
Original post by Anonynous
If you are due to graduate in 2018, you will be rejected automatically.

There are planes, for interviews. It will be a determinent of your motivation for banking, if you will.

ahaha yes because it's entirely reasonable to expect someone to have the funds and time to take multiple trips to and from China in order to attend a very highly competitive selection process, if you will.
Original post by Blargh1
ahaha yes because it's entirely reasonable to expect someone to have the funds and time to take multiple trips to and from China in order to attend a very highly competitive selection process, if you will.

Depends how bad you want it.
Original post by Blargh1

The bank pays for it so don't worry about that. And you can do the first few rounds on the phone/over Skype. They'd only request you fly over if you were at the final round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends how bad you want it.

So funds are irrelevant? If we "want it" hard enough will we fly ourselves over, if you will?
Original post by will2348
The bank pays for it so don't worry about that. And you can do the first few rounds on the phone/over Skype. They'd only request you fly over if you were at the final round.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it still sounds tough to organise but I suppose it means I can apply with more experience next year at least. Thanks for the info.
Original post by Blargh1
So funds are irrelevant? If we "want it" hard enough will we fly ourselves over, if you will?

he is only trying to help you, don't shoot him down. As will said they do everything Skype or phone until its an ac. And the only banks which do acs, barring rbs, are the big ones, so yes you would go over if db or jpm or gs wanted you to right?
Is it too late to apply for SWs at this moment?

Also how much does a SW help you get an internship at the same ib?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vorsah
Is it too late to apply for SWs at this moment?

Also how much does a SW help you get an internship at the same ib?

Yes.

No, I'm joking it's fine because I think only one bank has started interviewing (BAML I think?) however the vast majority will be reviewing apps soon so I would get on it now.

If you do well, you could secure a summer internship through a fast track to their assessment centres so SWs really are the golden ticket.
Original post by President M.E.
Yes.

No, I'm joking it's fine because I think only one bank has started interviewing (BAML I think?) however the vast majority will be reviewing apps soon so I would get on it now.

If you do well, you could secure a summer internship through a fast track to their assessment centres so SWs really are the golden ticket.

Thanks

I don't have the standard AAB grades at A-level, I have bcc in Maths, fm and chem, should i still apply?

Im thinking of retaking 2 exams in the summer so I could potentially end up with A*BC
Original post by Vorsah
Thanks

I don't have the standard AAB grades at A-level, I have bcc in Maths, fm and chem, should i still apply?

Im thinking of retaking 2 exams in the summer so I could potentially end up with A*BC

Give it a go, but don't be too disheartened if you don't get anything because SWs are incredibly competitive
Original post by Vorsah
Thanks

Don't waste your time with applications. You'll get rejected as most, if not all, require at least 320-340 UCAS minimum.
Don't waste your time with applications. You'll get rejected as most, if not all, require at least 320-340 UCAS minimum.

Do you suggest I retake to get 320-340 points and then apply next year?

Have been rejected by any yet?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vorsah
Do you suggest I retake to get 320-340 points and then apply next year?

Have been rejected by any yet?

Yes, rejected by 5

Latest

Trending

Trending