The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Fed doesn't like Novak so I expect him to be play well tomorrow like he does most of the time against Novak. And unlike Stan, Novak won't be ripping every groundstoke so Fed will have more time to set up his killer forehand.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can't wait for tomorrow! So relieved Fed managed to nab that right at the end.
By far the best match of the tournament.
Fed needs to slice more if he is to win tomorrow. His topspin BH is awful.
Finally a proper match befitting of the tournament!

(oh and 14/14 :wink: )
Original post by hskjlclcn
Finally a proper match befitting of the tournament!

(oh and 14/14 :wink: )

What's your prediction for the final

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stan served at what around 40% first serves and Federer didn't punish him how?! Great fighting skills showed from Federer to steal the win and it was a steal as Stan should've really wrapped the match up. I'm sure Federer will feel energised by all the MPs he saved and will hopefully improve for tomorrow because if he plays the same way against Djokovic let's just say the final won't be a patch on this match
I hate how Fed always plays the second SF. It has happened way too often this season for my liking. He is a 33 year guy. He needs more time to recover than his younger rivals. It's not rocket science.
Original post by Badshah
I hate how Fed always plays the second SF. It has happened way too often this season for my liking. He is a 33 year guy. He needs more time to recover than his younger rivals. It's not rocket science.

Organisers don't need to set schedules just to accommodate Federer or anyone else for that matter. If he's even reached the semis that's proof that he's fit enough, he doesn't need preferential treatment to get him to the end of tournament's, he's doing fine on his own
Original post by lizzy95
Organisers don't need to set schedules just to accommodate Federer or anyone else for that matter. If he's even reached the semis that's proof that he's fit enough, he doesn't need preferential treatment to get him to the end of tournament's, he's doing fine on his own

Would pos rep if I could. This is without mentioning the years of unspoken preference for Federer on tournament schedules.
Original post by Sirocco11
Would pos rep if I could. This is without mentioning the years of unspoken preference for Federer on tournament schedules.

I guess being a 17 time GS winner and a commercial juggernaut comes with certain perks then. In any case can't wait for this final would've been great to see it in Flushing Meadows but this is the best end to the season we could hope for. Although I'm a Novak fan may the best man win, I hope it's another stunning match :smile:
Original post by lizzy95

But it has happened far to often this season. He should occasionally play the first SF as well. I don't remember him playing the first SF in any of the big tournaments in which he reached the final this season but I guess you are right. He is fit enough to play this kind of schedule.
Original post by lizzy95

With the final being tomorrow though, I think it would make sense to have the semifinals more close together in time, so someone doesn't end up playing very late the night before. It's unfair regardless of who gets the late match - although I guess things like this are a pretty common occurrence with sports scheduling.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
With the final being tomorrow though, I think it would make sense to have the semifinals more close together in time, so someone doesn't end up playing very late the night before. It's unfair regardless of who gets the late match - although I guess things like this are a pretty common occurrence with sports scheduling.

I also don't understand why the final starts at 6, I think it should remain at 8 or if anything change till 8:30 or 9. Fed will probably go to bed at 4am so he will be shattered given he gets up around 10ish. Novak also had more time to get over his match both physically and mentally. Fed just managed to pull of an incredible victory yet as soon as he wakes up he has to refresh.
Alternatively the final could be Monday like US or just have the semi finals earlier like around 12pm and 2pm.
Original post by Rkai01
I also don't understand why the final starts at 6, I think it should remain at 8 or if anything change till 8:30 or 9. Fed will probably go to bed at 4am so he will be shattered given he gets up around 10ish. Novak also had more time to get over his match both physically and mentally. Fed just managed to pull of an incredible victory yet as soon as he wakes up he has to refresh.
Alternatively the final could be Monday like US or just have the semi finals earlier like around 12pm and 2pm.

Appreciate Federer played a long match but it would be stupid to have a Monday finish like the US Open. They're still best of 3 set matches so there's no reason why they should push it back, compared to the possibility of playing two 5 set matches back to back. It's the same conditions for Masters semi-finals to final in that they have a day turnaround (sometimes similar to the WTF the US swing Masters tournaments have late night sessions) to recover.

Again, we shouldn't make exceptional cases, for Federer, or any other player.
Original post by Sirocco11
Appreciate Federer played a long match but it would be stupid to have a Monday finish like the US Open. They're still best of 3 set matches so there's no reason why they should push it back, compared to the possibility of playing two 5 set matches back to back. It's the same conditions for Masters semi-finals to final in that they have a day turnaround (sometimes similar to the WTF the US swing Masters tournaments have late night sessions) to recover.

Again, we shouldn't make exceptional cases, for Federer, or any other player.

It's nothing to do with making an exceptional case for Federer - whoever plays a late match the day before a final is presumably going to be disadvantaged. You'd think they could make the final later the next day.

That's not making an "exceptional case" for anyone, it would be trying to make the scheduling consistently fairer for all the players.
Lets be honest, complaints about scheduling are only being made because it's Federer, it was Murray no one would bat an eyelid.
Original post by samir12
Lets be honest, complaints about scheduling are only being made because it's Federer, it was Murray no one would bat an eyelid.

I can't remember Federer playing the first SF this year. He has always played the second SF. There should be a balance. It's quite unfair how his younger rivals who also happen to be better athletes than him always get more time to mentally and physically recover for the final.
Original post by Badshah
I can't remember Federer playing the first SF this year. He has always played the second SF. There should be a balance. It's quite unfair how his younger rivals who also happen to be better athletes than him always get more time to mentally and physically recover for the final.

He had a full day off between Murray and Warwrinka.

I'm a Federer fan in this match but there's nothing wrong the scheduling and in a physical game like tennis, it's something he knows he has to counter.
Rumours that Federer is going to pull out of the final...

Quick Reply

Latest