The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Romula
I have the exact same thing for Higher English. Look, how about this. If you decide on one and then want to switch, they might not let you because of timetabling. So ask to sign up for all five, and they'll timetable that; and then after a couple of weeks you can drop one, and have a normal timetable. Doing that gives you both options.

I would definitely do that, but unfortunately my school only had timetables based on 4 subjects so I actually cannot do 5 :frown: it's my own fault for being so indecisive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Martie08
So, in classic exam board style, AQA have taken all of the History past papers off the website when I have mocks next week! Brilliant!

Mortified... I can't find any of them can you? I need them to learn how to answer questions e.g. on Vietnam- we've never done a question on it yet. Help!!
Original post by Nomes24
Mortified... I can't find any of them can you? I need them to learn how to answer questions e.g. on Vietnam- we've never done a question on it yet. Help!!

I've only found ones up to 2010 on extreme papers and the like, otherwise no :/ Try contacting your teacher, as they presumably will have access to them on e-AQA.
Original post by tryrevise
I would definitely do that, but unfortunately my school only had timetables based on 4 subjects so I actually cannot do 5 :frown: it's my own fault for being so indecisive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, that sucks...

Well, of course it's up to you, but it sounds to me like you want to do English is that you want to prove to everyone how good you are at it at A Level (no offence intended; I have the exact same thing) but that's a dangerous reason to take a subject further. I did Latin GCSE because I was the best in my class in Year 9, and now I'm staring blankly at Virgil passages like everybody else. I'd do Spanish, because you don't know for sure whether you'll enjoy either subject, but you know Spanish is useful. But if you really like Eng Lit, go for it. It's two years of your life, after all 😊
Original post by Black Rose
Have y'all applied to sixth forms/colleges yet?

I've applied to a few - my school's sixth form and a couple of others. Feeling a little apprehensive over my subject choices, though.
Hey this is my first post so sorry if I do something wrong!!

I'm Liv, and I am 16.

I have taken Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Additional FSMQ Maths, Geography, Spanish, French, Drama, ICT (full course) and RS (full course).

I am deciding what sixth form to go to; whether to do A levels or the IB so if anyone has any advice /opinions then I would appreciate it. Either way I will probably be moving from my current school.

I think my A levels would be, English Lit and Lang, Spanish, Geography and Philosophy / Media Studies. If I did the IB I would do, English (HL), Maths (SL), Geography (HL), Philosophy (HL) Spanish (SL) and Chemistry (SL) (not decided on these yet...

Idek what my interests are except for going out which is slightly worrying... I do silver DofE if that counts:wink:
Original post by Romula
Hey! I'm in y11, but I'm doing IB next year (SL Eng Lit and Spanish). For what it's worth, I would do Spanish just because it's more useful in later life to have a working knowledge of the language, and Eng Lit is a LOT of essays... but they're both respected subjects, so you could easily do both.

Good luck with everything!

What subjects are you thinking of doing for the IB? (sorry if you've already answered this).

I can't choose whether to do the IB or not as I love the idea of all the subjects; but looking at UNI's you seem to need a very high score... and although I would be able, I am very unmotivated and disorganised. Are you staying at your current school to do the IB?
Original post by Peachy23
Haha oh right! My lessons end at 3:35 so it's pretty good but I get home at about 4:30 :frown: I don't know why but I've always wanted to go to a boarding school :tongue: just seems cool, don't judge me!

Jealous. :frown:
:smile: The concept sounds cooler than it actually is :rolleyes:.
I don't board but the thought of spending 24/7 with my friends is urgh. I need me-time. Though I guess it makes for really strong friendships and if you ever need something, there will be someone around to help. :biggrin:
Original post by Martie08
I feel your pain.
I have my physics mock on friday on P1+2 and I've not even finished P1 :frown:

Same here :frown: My Physics mock is on Wednesday, but luckily it is only P2 so I am last minute cramming
Original post by olivialeicester
What subjects are you thinking of doing for the IB? (sorry if you've already answered this).

I can't choose whether to do the IB or not as I love the idea of all the subjects; but looking at UNI's you seem to need a very high score... and although I would be able, I am very unmotivated and disorganised. Are you staying at your current school to do the IB?

Hey! Yeah, I'm staying at my school to do the IB... we get quite high scores, and I love my school, and all my friends are there, so I didn't really see the point in moving.
Re IB vs A Levels: I'm doing Higher Maths, Physics and History, and Standard English Literature, Spanish B and Economics. For me the choice was easy- I'm also doing FSMQ Maths, so I have a good foundation, and I really love Maths and Physics, but also I adore History, and I'm really interested in Economics, and I want to study a language... From the look of your subject choices, IB seems like a good choice for you, and Standard Maths will be so much easier with FSMQ Maths under your belt. It will also show that you're well-rounded. Regarding university qualifications- if you want to go to a top university, they're going to want high scores no matter what you do, and you're going to have to be organised regardless of whether you do IB or A Levels, so your choice of pathway (as they call it in my school) probably won't make much of a difference.

One piece of advice though: do not do Media Studies A Level. Both of my parents work in journalism, and they look down on Media Studies graduates. Philosophy is much more respected- do that if you have to choose between them.

Good luck- please feel free to ask if you have more questions!
Same here :frown: My Physics mock is on Wednesday, but luckily it is only P2 so I am last minute cramming

Oh same! Not Physics mock though, just topic test... Electricity has put so many of my friends off choosing Physics in the Sixth Form :frown:
Original post by Romula
Hey! Yeah, I'm staying at my school to do the IB... we get quite high scores, and I love my school, and all my friends are there, so I didn't really see the point in moving.
Re IB vs A Levels: I'm doing Higher Maths, Physics and History, and Standard English Literature, Spanish B and Economics. For me the choice was easy- I'm also doing FSMQ Maths, so I have a good foundation, and I really love Maths and Physics, but also I adore History, and I'm really interested in Economics, and I want to study a language... From the look of your subject choices, IB seems like a good choice for you, and Standard Maths will be so much easier with FSMQ Maths under your belt. It will also show that you're well-rounded. Regarding university qualifications- if you want to go to a top university, they're going to want high scores no matter what you do, and you're going to have to be organised regardless of whether you do IB or A Levels, so your choice of pathway (as they call it in my school) probably won't make much of a difference.

One piece of advice though: do not do Media Studies A Level. Both of my parents work in journalism, and they look down on Media Studies graduates. Philosophy is much more respected- do that if you have to choose between them.

Good luck- please feel free to ask if you have more questions!

Ahh okay. I would have to move to a different school to do IB; but I think I would like to change and my current school is equally far away! By any chance do you go to school in Kent?

WOW, your IB subjects sound very challenging but great all the same. Thank you very much for your advice - I think I have decided on IB now:wink:

Thanks for the insight on Media Studies. If i'm honest, I was looking at it to be a bit of a doss subject which probably wasn't the best idea to start with ... I agree that philosophy seems to have a lot more credibility.
Original post by Romula
Oh same! Not Physics mock though, just topic test... Electricity has put so many of my friends off choosing Physics in the Sixth Form :frown:

Yes, electricity is quite tedious... got to love two lessons dedicated to plugs:wink: And ahhh very few are considering sciences at my school, except the budding scientists who take all 3 and maths! (A-levels)
Ahh okay. I would have to move to a different school to do IB; but I think I would like to change and my current school is equally far away! By any chance do you go to school in Kent?

WOW, your IB subjects sound very challenging but great all the same. Thank you very much for your advice - I think I have decided on IB now:wink:

Thanks for the insight on Media Studies. If i'm honest, I was looking at it to be a bit of a doss subject which probably wasn't the best idea to start with ... I agree that philosophy seems to have a lot more credibility.

Ah no, I'm a Londoner I'm afraid :redface:... Yeah, I know I've probably chosen the three hardest HLs to do (bar the arts), but I love them so much, I'm so happy with them :smile:
I think the IB will be really good for you- but since I'm obviously biased, maybe you should talk to someone slightly more objective before you make any final decisions... :smile: The only real difference between A Levels and IB in your case though is that you study maths and chemistry with IB, which isn't really gonna hurt uni-application-wise... And your Highers are perfectly respectable whilst being manageable, so you know, win-win... The other thing is that you will only have to take exams at the end of two years, instead of having to do an AS in Spanish in Y12.

Do you have any idea what you might want to study at uni? That's another thing to bear in mind.
Original post by turn-to-page394
Jealous. :frown:
:smile: The concept sounds cooler than it actually is :rolleyes:.
I don't board but the thought of spending 24/7 with my friends is urgh. I need me-time. Though I guess it makes for really strong friendships and if you ever need something, there will be someone around to help. :biggrin:

I guess that's true :smile: I would hate spending all that time with my friends too tbh!
Is anyone here good at Spanish? I just need to see if I've written a sentence right :tongue:
Original post by Peachy23
Is anyone here good at Spanish? I just need to see if I've written a sentence right :tongue:

Spanish GCSE, predicted A*, go ahead 😊
I'm new to this thread! Hello fellow prisoners.
Original post by gortz1o1
I'm new to this thread! Hello fellow prisoners.

Welcome to the asylum.

What are your subjects then? (This year and next year.)
Original post by Romula
Welcome to the asylum.

What are your subjects then? (This year and next year.)

At GCSE I'm doing
Maths
French
English (Lit+Lang)
Drama
History
Business Studies (WORST DECISION OF MY LIFE)
Triple science aka hell
RE

A levels I've chosen
Biology
Chemistry
English Lit
Music Technology

what about you?

Latest