The Student Room Group

Geography vs English A Level

Which one is harder? Which has a larger workload? Which do you enjoy more? Which do you think would go best with bcm? And general advantages and disadvantages of taking them? The board for both subjects is Edexcel by the way. Thank you :smile:
Is this for English literature or English language. If it is English literature i'd say it depends on what you enjoy more, fact based writing or being creative. I personally prefer English lit
I would imagine that English Literature (if that is what you mean by English) is probably harder, though it depends on your opinion and what your strengths are. Despite this, I know that I am going to take English over Geography as I feel that English gives you a chance to be more creative, like Crystalz mentioned above, whereas Geography heavily involves remembering and recalling facts. If you are confident in remembering several case studies, like at GCSE, and feel that Geography interests you, then go with that, however, if you prefer studying texts, then go with English.

Both are great subjects and I am certain you will thrive in whichever one you choose :smile:
Reply 3
I do both English literature and language, as well as geography. Between English literature and language, I prefer lit. This is because there's a lot more reading and with language you have to remember theories which I don't like that much. Geography is what I want to do at university, so I prefer it over both of the English subjects. I would say that geography has the highest workload of all of the subjects, because it's remembering case studies and you have both the human and physical sides to learn (I personally find that the human side is easy and don't count most of it as new learning). In lit you have to remember quotes and do lots of reading, so if you don't like to read or are a slow reader maybe language would be better.
Original post by izzyll
I do both English literature and language, as well as geography. Between English literature and language, I prefer lit. This is because there's a lot more reading and with language you have to remember theories which I don't like that much. Geography is what I want to do at university, so I prefer it over both of the English subjects. I would say that geography has the highest workload of all of the subjects, because it's remembering case studies and you have both the human and physical sides to learn (I personally find that the human side is easy and don't count most of it as new learning). In lit you have to remember quotes and do lots of reading, so if you don't like to read or are a slow reader maybe language would be better.

are you doing aqa for geog
Reply 5
Original post by sophiamarni
are you doing aqa for geog

No our exam board for geography is edexcel, but for English I think it's AQA :smile:
Original post by izzyll
No our exam board for geography is edexcel, but for English I think it's AQA :smile:

what topics are you covering :smile: in geog
Reply 7
I'm in A2 now and were doing biodiversity, water security, the development gap, the technological fix, superpowers and energy security

Quick Reply

Latest