The Student Room Group

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andy98
£30000?? That's a long night

Posted from TSR Mobile

I started drinking at about 11am
Left the bar at 3am.

Don't forget there was champagne, lobster, oysters and truffles to pump up the majority of that bill! I didn't intentionally start drinking at 11 though - I ordered a "Virgin Mojito" (a mojito without alcohol) but they just brought me a regular one. So I figured, oh what the hell, why not. It's hardly a porter!
(edited 9 years ago)
There are some things in my life which would probably cause people to think I have well-off parents, but together they earn below the national average.

Being an only child is socially maladjusting but it has its perks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Idc what class/sex/race you are, don't be a dick

Resenting the rich is sort of understandable though, is it not? I'm not saying it's acceptable to dismiss people based on things they don't choose, and I know not every rich person is like the horrendous git who I had to live with in my first year of uni, but with things like having an education paid for you, trust funds, and living in a house with your own pool, I think it's a pretty natural reaction really...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JamesTheCool
Resenting the rich is sort of understandable though, is it not? I'm not saying it's acceptable to hate people based on things they don't choose, and I know not every rich person is like the horrendous flatmate I had in first year, but with things like private education, trust funds and being raised in a million pound home with your own ****ing pool, I think it's a pretty natural reaction really...

I don't think so, but I guess everyone is different. I've been very poor my entire life but I've never resented someone for having more than me, I've only resented people for how they behave and treat others.
Original post by SophieSmall
I don't think so, but I guess everyone is different. I've been very poor my entire life but I've never resented someone for having more than me, I've only resented people for how they behave and treat others.

True, but coming from a rich family does commonly lead to becoming an annoying rah...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JamesTheCool
True, but coming from a rich family very often does lead to being a horrendous rah...

Maybe it does, but I'd rather find out to see if they're a **** person than automatically assume they are and resent them in the basis of their income,
2002 - The original Xbox had come out with a price of £450. This was in March. 3 weeks later I came home to find the console, numerous games and a Steering Wheel in the living room. Must have equated to around £750.

I never noticed back then but I look back and think "Christ, we used to be ridiculously well off"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XMaramena
Left the bar at 3am.

Don't forget there was champagne, lobster, oysters and truffles to pump up the majority of that bill! I didn't intentionally start drinking at 11 though - I ordered a "Virgin Mojito" (a mojito without alcohol) but they just brought me a regular one. So I figured, oh what the hell, why not. It's hardly a porter!

Not meaning to sound jealous, but I could have a lot more fun than that for £30,000. That's a lot of Thorpe park tickets. :colone:
Dad would never give me money when going out. I thought we were poor, but now realised he was a tight asian dad!
Original post by Octohedral
Not meaning to sound jealous, but I could have a lot more fun than that for £30,000. That's a lot of Thorpe park tickets. :colone:

It is! Would have been much more awesome!

The best night of my life in my time there was my 18th birthday - It probably cost about £600. Cigars, poker, good drinks, a chef on the barbie, all sitting out in the garden by the sea, best night ever. In experience terms, much better than that night at Barasti - even if I did have sex for the first time!

Bear in mind, money wasn't really much of an object in those days.
Reply 510
Original post by Octohedral

Get a Merlin Card.

I just saved you £29,831.
when a girl in my form class says she doesnt have dinner at home and her main meal is the free meal she gets at school:frown:
Going to uni in England was definitely an eye-opener for me.

One of the first examples was a friend vehemently insisting that it would be impossible to live on 23k a year (in a discussion about career options). He then refused to believe me when I told him the UK median salary.
Original post by medbh4805
Going to uni in England was definitely an eye-opener for me.

One of the first examples was a friend vehemently insisting that it would be impossible to live on 23k a year (in a discussion about career options). He then refused to believe me when I told him the UK median salary.

Lol living on 23k without any dependants is a piece of piss :tongue:
Original post by SophieSmall
Lol living on 23k without any dependants is a piece of piss :tongue:

Well, the subtext was 'not if you want kids and an upper-middle-class lifestyle in London' :rolleyes: The frustration was that there was just an inability or unwillingness to consider how people outside of their social set (i.e. most of the country) live their lives, and that generally it isn't actually terrible. It was just incomprehensible to him. Another gem (from someone else) was 'everyone in London has a Polish cleaner'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by medbh4805
Well, the subtext was 'not if you want kids and an upper-middle-class lifestyle in London' :rolleyes: The frustration was that there was just an inability or unwillingness to consider how people outside of their social set (i.e. most of the country) live their lives. It was just incomprehensible to him. Another gem (from someone else) was 'everyone in London has a Polish cleaner'.

The ignorance of some people does astound me.
Reply 516
Moving around through different families houses every few weeks because we didn't have any money for a place.

When my grand father made my eldest sister her pushchair out of wood.

When we didn't get to eat for a couple of days every week for a few weeks when I was below 10.

When I missed my 6th and 7th birthday out.

Most of my clothes before the age of 10 was second hand from my cousins.

We had 5 channels up until year 5 of school.

Never had a games console growing up like everyone else :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
I am grateful that i was never in a situation where I had to worry about food. But my parents have had up and downs with their income.

"Poor" moments: when parents werent doing so well and we couldnt afford anything apart from food.
When i had to stop going to my music lesson.

Rich moments: when dad found a new car he liked and bought it the next day....
Original post by XMaramena
Left the bar at 3am.

Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 519
Food or heating.

I have not had any new clothes since I was 16 - that was almost three years ago.

There is often nothing to eat for lunch (perhaps a tin of baked beans. The whole tin.)

I cannot disentangle 'value for money' from 'preference' in my decision to buy things. My preference is what is value for money!

I have never been further from London than Brighton when I was 4, and have never been on holiday since.

Quick Reply

Latest