The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aersh8
Yeah, bio natsci at john's :smile: what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chem Eng via NatSci at Christ's... there are like 250 applicants there this year, compared with the last 4 years where there were like 150ish :lol:
Original post by Bude8
Chem Eng via NatSci at Christ's... there are like 250 applicants there this year, compared with the last 4 years where there were like 150ish :lol:

Pretty sure that's the admissions tutor's fault but it shouldn't affect your chances of getting into Cambridge (probably through the pool though)

What uni did you put above cam if you say you aren't keen on going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Pretty sure that's the admissions tutor's fault but it shouldn't affect your chances of getting into Cambridge (probably through the pool though)

What uni did you put above cam if you say you aren't keen on going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just amazed by the sudden spike in applicants there this year :lol: CHRIST'S HYPEEEE

Bath

A pre-interview rejection for me would be SO nice right now :lol:
Original post by Bude8
I'm just amazed by the sudden spike in applicants there this year :lol: CHRIST'S HYPEEEE

Bath

A pre-interview rejection for me would be SO nice right now :lol:

I'm not sure whether you are being sarcastic or simply want to avoid the stress

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
I'm not sure whether you are being sarcastic or simply want to avoid the stress

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really get stressed, and I wasn't being sarcastic, but it's more to avoid the extra work and reading I'd need to do :lol:
Original post by Bude8
I don't really get stressed, and I wasn't being sarcastic, but it's more to avoid the extra work and reading I'd need to do :lol:

Yeah I've pretty much given up on that. They want to see whether I have potential and if I'm pleasant to teach, not how much I know at the moment, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Yeah I've pretty much given up on that. They want to see whether I have potential and if I'm pleasant to teach, not how much I know at the moment, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, anyone can rote learn really - I've heard them complain about people that are so stubborn and not willing to apply some ideas they're taught at interviews; continuously regurgitating information etc

But reading is more a sign of interest, which is kind of important
Original post by Bude8
Yup, anyone can rote learn really - I've heard them complain about people that are so stubborn and not willing to apply some ideas they're taught at interviews; continuously regurgitating information etc

But reading is more a sign of interest, which is kind of important

True! But forcing yourself to read will make you hate the subject (eg doing homework when you don't feel like it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
True! But forcing yourself to read will make you hate the subject (eg doing homework when you don't feel like it)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, not necessarily but I know what you mean. I've only mentioned one book, and I'm sure it's one that every other Phys NatSci applicant will have read (since it's by Cambridge professors, 'Why Chemical Reactions Happen'). Tbh I've only read the first 3 chapters or so, it's actually quite a bit hard to understand at some places.
Original post by Bude8
Well, not necessarily but I know what you mean. I've only mentioned one book, and I'm sure it's one that every other Phys NatSci applicant will have read (since it's by Cambridge professors, 'Why Chemical Reactions Happen'). Tbh I've only read the first 3 chapters or so, it's actually quite a bit hard to understand at some places.

I've read it too, although I hadn't mentioned it since I read it after sending my application. It is really good imo except for all the orbital discussion which is pretty much more than half the book :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
So apparently there are things that are true but you can't prove they're true... Interesting stuff.
Reply 3391
I would like to know,
I completed 3 AL last year,
but I wanted to retake 2 this year.
Can I cash-in 3 AL again?
or do I need to at least re-sit one paper of my 3rd AL?
Original post by Suzue
I would like to know,
I completed 3 AL last year,
but I wanted to retake 2 this year.
Can I cash-in 3 AL again?
or do I need to at least re-sit one paper of my 3rd AL?

Nah it's fine, as they're cashed in individually. I'll be doing the same probably :smile:
Reply 3393
Original post by furryface12
Nah it's fine, as they're cashed in individually. I'll be doing the same probably :smile:

So I can cash in again the same AL subject this year without re-sitting, even though I have cashed in once?
Original post by Suzue
So I can cash in again the same AL subject this year without re-sitting, even though I have cashed in once?

I guess so, although I don't know why you would want to? Just cash in the ones you have resat as they're the only ones the results might change? The only exception might be in maths or further maths where the modules might switch round.
Reply 3395
Original post by furryface12
I guess so, although I don't know why you would want to? Just cash in the ones you have resat as they're the only ones the results might change? The only exception might be in maths or further maths where the modules might switch round.

I need to have 3ALs in one certificate for my school(They don't care if I resat, but they want my certificate and better result), but I just want to improve the results of 2ALs.
Original post by Bude8
So apparently there are things that are true but you can't prove they're true... Interesting stuff.

Are these mathsy things or are there any that I'd understand? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vionar
Are these mathsy things or are there any that I'd understand? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, godel's theorem (if that's what op is talking about) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Suzue
I need to have 3ALs in one certificate for my school(They don't care if I resat, but they want my certificate and better result), but I just want to improve the results of 2ALs.

Ok, think you'd still be allowed but it might be best to check with your school/exam board/someone else on here too as I'm not 100% sure!
Original post by aersh8
Yeah, godel's theorem (if that's what op is talking about) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's that? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest