The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alicerose2
I think it was more than half at Imperial! It was ok though because they sort of expected it and there was things organised for parents when we had our interviews going on. I am taking my dad with me to Southampton on Wednesday because otherwise I have no way of getting down there.

Neither of my parents can come with me to Southampton ):
Original post by Chlorophile
Neither of my parents can come with me to Southampton ):

Oh no didums. Are you getting the train down there then? From where I am it is an awful journey, there are like 4 or 5 changes!
Oh no didums. Are you getting the train down there then? From where I am it is an awful journey, there are like 4 or 5 changes!

Yes I am. No changes for me though, fortunately!
Yes I am. No changes for me though, fortunately!

Hopefully I will see you there then! I have no idea what to expect considering Imperial was so different to expectations!
Hopefully I will see you there then! I have no idea what to expect considering Imperial was so different to expectations!

I'm expecting something informal. I'm not going into overdrive for the whole "prepare a presentation" thing, I can roll off quite a lot about my EPQ anyway so I'll just make sure I know what I'm talking about and I'll bring a copy of the EPQ in too. What're you planning to do for your presentation?
Got my first offer (!) - conditional for Geology and Palaeobiology (ABB)
I don't consider it being a firm option- even when it is in top 20, and in 10's for Geology- I am not really liking the area, and the fact it is not a Russell Group Uni...
For the interviews. Do they ask you any technical questions (such as- Your favorite igneous rock formation? How and where is it formed?) or is it more casual?
I'm expecting something informal. I'm not going into overdrive for the whole "prepare a presentation" thing, I can roll off quite a lot about my EPQ anyway so I'll just make sure I know what I'm talking about and I'll bring a copy of the EPQ in too. What're you planning to do for your presentation?

I think I'm going to do Halley's Hollow Earth Theory . I sort of want to do geoneutrinos but I haven't had enough time to do in depth research and the questions would be super hard ( I don't want to set myself up to fail!) what did you do your EPQ on?
I think I'm going to do Halley's Hollow Earth Theory . I sort of want to do geoneutrinos but I haven't had enough time to do in depth research and the questions would be super hard ( I don't want to set myself up to fail!) what did you do your EPQ on?

I'd never heard of that theory before, I'll definitely have to look it up! Was it an actual scientific theory or just a prevailing view?

My EPQ title is "Have we entered the Anthropocene?. Fascinating question! Did you do an EPQ?
All the theories are exciting- but did anyone hear about quite idiotic, but stunning theory? The Cellular Earth? (That actually all universe is clad inside the globe, and we live on its "skin?" Germans even tried to spy using this theory, their results were not conclusive. Wonder why. But then, imagine how space travel would cut the locomotion costs!
Reply 209
I'd never heard of that theory before, I'll definitely have to look it up! Was it an actual scientific theory or just a prevailing view?

FFS, it's been the preserve of science fiction for probably 200 years or more. That other poster might as well go into an interview and talk about the vulcanology of Middle Earth.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Clip
FFS, it's been the preserve of science fiction for probably 200 years or more.

Thanks for your helpful comment!

Original post by Citipati
All the theories are exciting- but did anyone hear about quite idiotic, but stunning theory? The Cellular Earth? (That actually all universe is clad inside the globe, and we live on its "skin?" Germans even tried to spy using this theory, their results were not conclusive. Wonder why. But then, imagine how space travel would cut the locomotion costs!

That's very interesting although I'd be very curious to understand the thought process leading to the generation of that hypothesis...
Reply 211

That's very interesting although I'd be very curious to understand the thought process leading to the generation of that hypothesis...

I think some people here need a wake-up call.

Do loads of work on your A-levels, and then get called to interview - only to ruin it with gibberish. It would be like going into a medicine interview and talking about healing crystals and phrenology.

As it proves out many scientists actually believed that and even tried to come up with series of experiments backing up their conclusions! Even when looking stunning, and working well as a world to set in a science fiction story, too many questions pop up too quickly: where's the central gravity point, what energy keeps planets within in a stable state (and if not, why do they manage to move?), what happens when you break its crust?
(The evolution of this odd theory (and hollow earth): https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/hollow/morrow.htm
Original post by Clip
I think some people here need a wake-up call.

Do loads of work on your A-levels, and then get called to interview - only to ruin it with gibberish. It would be like going into a medicine interview and talking about healing crystals and phrenology.

What on earth are you on about? I was asking if this was a hypothesis generated through the scientific method (given the context several centuries ago) or whether it was a mystical or theological argument. I never implied that it was a scientifically valid idea... And I don't know why you're being so aggressive, like you want to be pissed off.
Reply 214
What on earth are you on about? I was asking if this was a hypothesis generated through the scientific method (given the context several centuries ago) or whether it was a mystical or theological argument. I never implied that it was a scientifically valid idea... And I don't know why you're being so aggressive, like you want to be pissed off.

There you go again - jumping to every conclusion you can, and throwing in some internet psychoanalysis to boot.

Nowhere have I said that you think it's scientifically valid - it's the other poster who does. I was replying to you because you sarcastically noted how "helpful" the post was.

I'm not pissed off. You've just invented that because you like the way it sounds.
Original post by Clip
There you go again - jumping to every conclusion you can, and throwing in some internet psychoanalysis to boot.

Nowhere have I said that you think it's scientifically valid - it's the other poster who does. I was replying to you because you sarcastically noted how "helpful" the post was.

I'm not pissed off. You've just invented that because you like the way it sounds.

It's helpful because it's an interesting idea that I didn't know about before. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to be allowed to express interest in things without other people being rude to me? And the other poster didn't say they thought it was scientifically valid, they thought it'd be an interesting and unique thing to discuss at interview.
It's helpful because it's an interesting idea that I didn't know about before. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to be allowed to express interest in things without other people being rude to me? And the other poster didn't say they thought it was scientifically valid, they thought it'd be an interesting and unique thing to discuss at interview.

Hello there! Original poster here!

I think the angle that I was going from is the development of ideas. Sure, it is not considered viable today, but it goes to show an understanding of the scientific thought process. Halley observed something ( the fact that there was magnetic variation) and tried to explain this. This was then proved wrong, sure, But so were many things. Much of newtonian physics does not apply on a quantum level, on to the most up to date physics research, but we don't go kicking newton in the balls. Even Wegener ( we must bring him up in a Geology thread because he is a pretty cool dude) wasn't spot on with his theory of plate tectonics, but the theory evolved and made way to new discoveries.

what they are looking for in a n interview is the ability to think and enthusiasm, not a brilliant understanding of university level concepts- thats what you are going to uni to learn!

hope this cleared some things up :333

I think the angle that I was going from is the development of ideas. Sure, it is not considered viable today, but it goes to show an understanding of the scientific thought process. Halley observed something ( the fact that there was magnetic variation) and tried to explain this. This was then proved wrong, sure, But so were many things. Much of newtonian physics does not apply on a quantum level, on to the most up to date physics research, but we don't go kicking newton in the balls. Even Wegener ( we must bring him up in a Geology thread because he is a pretty cool dude) wasn't spot on with his theory of plate tectonics, but the theory evolved and made way to new discoveries.

what they are looking for in a n interview is the ability to think and enthusiasm, not a brilliant understanding of university level concepts- thats what you are going to uni to learn!

Absolutely, I completely understood where you were coming from! It's a shame Clip didn't. On top of the things you've mentioned, they're going to want something unique. I think you can say with fairly high confidence that nobody will have discussed that hypothesis with them before!
(edited 9 years ago)
Absolutely, I completely understood where you were coming from! It's a change Clip didn't. On top of the things you've mentioned, they're going to want something unique. I think you can say with fairly high confidence that nobody will have discussed that hypothesis with them before!

Ooops, sorry did I reply to the wrong place ( my bad! I'm not sure I really know what I am doing on this website, probably not doing much to prove to that other guy my point that I know what I am on about but ah well)

I agree 100%. Part of geology means studying how we used to think the Earth worked. Any physicist that doesn't know about the plum-pudding model is clearly doing something wrong. The fact you're able to grasp difficult concepts and analyse them is what they're looking for. I'd recommend reading Supercontinent by Ted Nield. He describes the various theories of lost super-continents that "sunk" to explain the distribution of fossils (Lemuria, Atlantis and Mu are 3 that I remember from the top of my head).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending