The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

What is the University of Chester like?

Socially and in general how does the City and University actually work? Is it busy, socially active? Are the lecturers and facilities good?
Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by CalT8
Socially and in general how does the City and University actually work? Is it busy, socially active? Are the lecturers and facilities good?
Thanks.

Hey, I'm a fresher at Chester this year and I love it here!
The city is really nice, there's plenty of things to do, it's not to busy and the people are really friendly. There is loooads of sports and societies to join and each one usually does a social night on Wednesdays, so I would says it's quite socially active here.
As for the lecturers, the ones I have are nice and usually funny (but of course it gets boring at times!) and the facilities are good here too.
Chester is definitely worth considering, hope this helps :smile:
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by @myJane
Hey, I'm a fresher at Chester this year and I love it here!
The city is really nice, there's plenty of things to do, it's not to busy and the people are really friendly. There is loooads of sports and societies to join and each one usually does a social night on Wednesdays, so I would says it's quite socially active here.
As for the lecturers, the ones I have are nice and usually funny (but of course it gets boring at times!) and the facilities are good here too.
Chester is definitely worth considering, hope this helps :smile:

That's very helpful, thanks for your reply.
I am a second year student and for me it depends on what level you're looking for the social aspect. It is nothing like a night out in Liverpool or Manchester, you will soon be bored with Rosies (nightclub). However if you want to go to a uni where there is some ok night light but a lot of academic support and guidance then Chester is really good. The library is okay, quite busy during the day but good during the evening/ night. Overall I love this uni, if I want decent night life I get the train down to Liverpool.. Social side also depends what halls you're in!
Reply 4
Original post by CalT8
Thanks.

In freshers it is very busy and once the term begins it is a bit quieter although still very sociable. It gets busy on Wednesdays (cheap drinks night too) for sports and societies, and Friday SU nights. There are a couple of clubs and the bars a good! There is always something going on at the SU - karaoke, comedy nights, pool, acoustic nights, fancy dress! It's a lovely city and has loads of unique shops with a lot of history. There are clubs for academic departments too so you get to meet your classmates you don't meet in lectures. It depends on which department/lecturers you get; it varies on subject. They help you out with employability training: work shadowing and volenteering etc.
Reply 5
Does a anyone know of any feminist groups or societies? I haven't heard mention of any, or even an LGBT group, which I'm finding really strange (being from Manchester where there's a really cosmopolitan vibe). I'm due to start Sept '15 and if there isn't one by the time I start, I may well start my own. Is that encouraged?
Original post by rjsaxon
Does a anyone know of any feminist groups or societies? I haven't heard mention of any, or even an LGBT group, which I'm finding really strange (being from Manchester where there's a really cosmopolitan vibe). I'm due to start Sept '15 and if there isn't one by the time I start, I may well start my own. Is that encouraged?

There is a LGBT society, there's more information on Chester Students' Union website http://www.chestersu.com/chester-pride-lgbt/. If you would like more details about societies contact the Students' Union [email protected]. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by rjsaxon

There is an LGBT society, but I know that you can actually start off your own, so long as you get 15 members, i think that's the number, don't hold me to that, but I believe this year the UKIP society, for example, didn't get enough members so it couldn't run, so so long as there is support for the society there shouldn't be a problem. I actually have a friend who is planning on starting a pizza society, so yeah, definitely encouraged!
Glad to here that there is a LGBT society. That does make the university more appealing as a whole
Original post by rmcsharry
There is an LGBT society, but I know that you can actually start off your own, so long as you get 15 members, i think that's the number, don't hold me to that, but I believe this year the UKIP society, for example, didn't get enough members so it couldn't run, so so long as there is support for the society there shouldn't be a problem. I actually have a friend who is planning on starting a pizza society, so yeah, definitely encouraged!

That would be amazing. I would definitely join a pizza appreciation society
Original post by University of Chester
There is a LGBT society, there's more information on Chester Students' Union website http://www.chestersu.com/chester-pride-lgbt/. If you would like more details about societies contact the Students' Union [email protected]. Hope that helps :smile:

Hearing that there is an LGBT+ society is very good as this makes your university seem a lot more appealing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending