The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ggmu!
Why? Because she isn't white? It may convenient for others to take that attitude because they don't want to integrate or feel British in the first place.

I know the lady, she's British and she was born here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because she's Indian. Just because your born somewhere doesn't mean that you are from that origin. The idea she is British is ludicrous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7661
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Because she's Indian. Just because your born somewhere doesn't mean that you are from that origin. The idea she is British is ludicrous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you really believe only white people can be British?
Original post by Ggmu!
So you really believe only white people can be British?

I believe that only British people can be British. I don't consider an Englishman born in Ghana Ghanaian, and neither does he, and neither do the populous there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7663
I believe that only British people can be British. I don't consider an Englishman born in Ghana Ghanaian, and neither does he, and neither do the populous there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many generations do people need to be in a foreign country for them to be considered 'one of them'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
How many generations do people need to be in a foreign country for them to be considered 'one of them'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's hard to say, I guess it depends on the people to an extent. I think it's fair to say certainly not first generation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7665
It's hard to say, I guess it depends on the people to an extent. I think it's fair to say certainly not first generation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All a bit random and plucked out of thin air for my liking. I'll leave it as she's British. She's even married to a white Englishman, don't know how much more British she can be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
All a bit random and plucked out of thin air for my liking. I'll leave it as she's British. She's even married to a white Englishman, don't know how much more British she can be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

... So marrying an Englishman makes your British? I think I want to be Nigerian, guess I'll marry a Nigerian lady then :laugh: I don't think anyone would argue she is British and I'm quite confused that you do to be honest.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2976847

Made a thread about it by the way, everyone please vote and express opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7667
... So marrying an Englishman makes your British? I think I want to be Nigerian, guess I'll marry a Nigerian lady then :laugh: I don't think anyone would argue she is British and I'm quite confused that you do to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see no consistency in what you say, and I don't believe that you have to be white to be British, that's done old school thinking I thought people generally didn't accept.

What about all the non white Olympians or non white soldiers in our army, are they not British?

I think you're putting it on in regards to your community. I know a lot of Pakistanis proudly say they aren't British but this really doesn't apply to other Asians, or at least not Indians.

I didn't say marrying a white guy makes her British but I don't see what else she can do lol. She hardly considers herself Indian but she considers herself British, and that's what matters. We can't define ourselves on the whims of racist nationalists.

And finally, are you British?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
I see no consistency in what you say, and I don't believe that you have to be white to be British, that's done old school thinking I thought people generally didn't accept.

What about all the non white Olympians or non white soldiers in our army, are they not British?

I think you're putting it on in regards to your community. I know a lot of Pakistanis proudly say they aren't British but this really doesn't apply to other Asians, or at least not Indians.

I didn't say marrying a white guy makes her British but I don't see what else she can do lol. She hardly considers herself Indian but she considers herself British, and that's what matters. We can't define ourselves on the whims of racist nationalists.

And finally, are you British?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not necessarily old school thinking. While I agree with some of what you are saying, I don't think she had the right to brand others immigrants or complain about an influx when she is herself of that background. Non white Olympians are not British no, how the **** can Mo Farah been considered a British athlete when he was born in Africa ffs. End of the day every ethnic person knows they're not British, and they're either in denial or deluded. I think you know that deep down too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7669
It's not necessarily old school thinking. While I agree with some of what you are saying, I don't think she had the right to brand others immigrants or complain about an influx when she is herself of that background. Non white Olympians are not British no, how the **** can Mo Farah been considered a British athlete when he was born in Africa ffs. End of the day every ethnic person knows they're not British, and they're either in denial or deluded. I think you know that deep down too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now I'm convinced you're projecting, because this is trademark Pakistani lol. Just because you don't want to feel British, doesn't mean others can't. That's all, I don't know why this is so complex for you lol. Britain is a country well known for having immigration for centuries.

She has every right, that's a stupid reason. It's about logistics and not some silly ideals. If the infrastructure isn't there for useless spongers like that Somali woman, what is going to happen? They're going to be an unnecessary burden this country can't deal with. You shouldn't reduce it to skin colour, how can anyone ever have a debate if you think only white people are allowed to have it? So anyone who isn't white should just sit in the corner and be quiet?

Once again, don't project your community onto others. There are non white MP's and Lords, are they British?

You sound like the guy 'Africa for Africans, Asia for Asians, Europe for Europeans!' l

Posted from TSR Mobile
^ lol at the post above. What do you guys think, do you constitute Indians/Pakistani's/ethnics as British simply because they live here? I don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Now I'm convinced you're projecting, because this is trademark Pakistani lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I'm projecting, but yet you proceed to do the exact same thing a matter of words later....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7672
So I'm projecting, but yet you proceed to do the exact same thing a matter of words later....

Posted from TSR Mobile

How?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"This is trademark Pakistani"- clear prejudice :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7674
"This is trademark Pakistani"- clear prejudice :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you deny that? Yet to have a Pakistani friend who says he's proud to be British, and I definitely have more than one or two.

That wasn't projecting either though, and I still think my point stands. Just because your community are like that, doesn't mean other immigrant communities have been. As I said, there are non white Lords, how are they not British? How is Karan Billamoria not British? How is Doreen Lawrence not British?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
So you deny that? Yet to have a Pakistani friend who says he's proud to be British, and I definitely have more than one or two.

So your more than 2 Pakistani friends now speak for a population of millions in the UK.... Ok.
Original post by Ggmu!
That wasn't projecting either though, and I still think my point stands. Just because your community are like that, doesn't mean other immigrant communities have been. As I said, there are non white Lords, how are they not British? How is Karan Billamoria not British? How is Doreen Lawrence not British?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like how you missed out Baroness Warsi.

They're not British because they don't originate from here, your ethnicity isn't determined by where you live. Nationality wise they are "British (insert real country they're from)" and even that's only for political purposes. Of course they can stand for British values and represent Britain on the world stage, but they're not British.

Posted from TSR Mobile
^ lol at the post above. What do you guys think, do you constitute Indians/Pakistani's/ethnics as British simply because they live here? I don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's some many ways to interpret that.

If they were born in Britain? Yes
If they moved here at a very early age? Yes
If they moved here in their teens? No
If their parents are British? Yes
If they moved here as an adult? No

To use your example of Mo Farah, he moved to England as a child and has a British parent. So i'd class him as British.
Original post by sr90
There's some many ways to interpret that.

If they were born in Britain? Yes
If they moved here at a very early age? Yes
If they moved here in their teens? No
If their parents are British? Yes
If they moved here as an adult? No

To use your example of Mo Farah, he moved to England as a child and has a British parent. So i'd class him as British.

Hmm interesting views. I would disagree though. I think that immigrants can contribute a lot to society, fully integrate and hold British values but they're not British. Though I don't know why they would classify themselves as British, they should be proud of their origins in the same way I would like say an Englishman born in Africa to be proud of his roots and classify himself as British.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To buy a Macbook Air, would it be better to get it directly from the Apple store or just get it from PC World, its the same price at either places its just a matter of where to purchase it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you lots always use Nigeria as an example lmao.

Latest