The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham 2015 Entry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAmEchelon
The uni has 14 bars? Or is that just the city centre?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They call it ''Campus 14'' as it has 14 bars on one campus, one per hall, but possibly more now. Notts is a brilliant uni to go to in all aspects. You only really know how good it is after visiting other universities. I don't think any can compete with University Park campus tbh, Oxbridge aside.
(edited 9 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
They call it ''Campus 14'' as it has 14 bars on one campus, one per hall, but possibly more now. Notts is a brilliant uni to go to in all aspects. You only really know how good it is after visiting other universities. I don't think any can compete with University Park campus tbh, Oxbridge aside.

Doesn't uni park campus only have catered accommodation?

What makes the uni better than like Birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doesn't uni park campus only have catered accommodation?

What makes the uni better than like Birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The halls on main campus are catered, but the food is good, and they give seconds.

Nottingham has a slightly better rep than Birmingham generally with employers, but in most subjects they are in even. Having seen both campuses, Nottingham's campus is gigantic and very green, like a huge golf course, with a large lake, and halls scattered in each corner. There also seems plenty of places to hang about on campus, aside from halls. The teaching buildings are also modern and well nice. The layout of the place is really good. There are self catered halls in Broadgate park.

Birmingham's campus is rather odd in it's layout, and whilst the main buildings and clock tower are impressive, the campus otherwise looks quite ugly and under invested. And not very green or spacious, or any places to hang out.
Got an unconditional for music! :biggrin:
The halls on main campus are catered, but the food is good, and they give seconds.

Nottingham has a slightly better rep than Birmingham generally with employers, but in most subjects they are in even. Having seen both campuses, Nottingham's campus is gigantic and very green, like a huge golf course, with a large lake, and halls scattered in each corner. There also seems plenty of places to hang about on campus, aside from halls. The teaching buildings are also modern and well nice. The layout of the place is really good. There are self catered halls in Broadgate park.

Birmingham's campus is rather odd in it's layout, and whilst the main buildings and clock tower are impressive, the campus otherwise looks quite ugly and under invested. And not very green or spacious, or any places to hang out.

I loved Birmingham's campus! I thought it had the right about of green to buildings, it also has a lake! I can't give comparisons to the two as I've never been to Nottingham. Although greenry doesn't bother me much, I visited Keele(full of green) and wasn't too keen

What's the self-catered like? How far is it from everywhere? I'm too much of a fussy eater to be catered

Posted from TSR Mobile
I loved Birmingham's campus! I thought it had the right about of green to buildings, it also has a lake! I can't give comparisons to the two as I've never been to Nottingham. Although greenry doesn't bother me much, I visited Keele(full of green) and wasn't too keen

What's the self-catered like? How far is it from everywhere? I'm too much of a fussy eater to be catered

Posted from TSR Mobile

Broadgate park is all of 1 min walk from the main campus, if that. That area is it's own little hub now, and has really grown into a mini campus of it's own. I much preferred the hall experience though.

Having visited Birmingham uni last saturday, I can definitely say that all around Nottingham is slightly better. The teaching buildings seem nicer, the campus layout, the cafes, places to unwind, location of the main student bar etc. And the regular hopper bus between main campus and Jubilee campus is great. The medical school at Notts also looks MUCH better than that of Birmingham's.

(edited 9 years ago)
Broadgate park is all of 1 min walk from the main campus, if that. That area is it's own little hub now, and has really grown into a mini campus of it's own. I much preferred the hall experience though.

Having visited Birmingham uni last saturday, I can definitely say that all around Nottingham is slightly bettr. The teaching buildings seem nicer, the campus layout, the cafes, places to unwind, location of the main student bar etc. And the regular hopper bus between main campus and Jubilee campus is great. The medical school at Notts also looks MUCH better than that of Birmingham's.

I am hoping to get an offer and visit on the applicant day so I'll look then!

Are you hoping to study medicine then I take it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am hoping to get an offer and visit on the applicant day so I'll look then!

Are you hoping to study medicine then I take it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, I'm a Notts graduate who is at UCL doing a masters in medical sciences. Not a medic though.
Original post by helenb96
Got an unconditional for music! :biggrin:

Did you already have the A levels in the bag?
Nope, I'm a Notts graduate who is at UCL doing a masters in medical sciences. Not a medic though.

Wow! Impressive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow! Impressive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, not yet at least. A PhD from UCL, and then I'd be inclined to agree . . .
Not really, not yet at least. A PhD from UCL, and then I'd be inclined to agree . . .

A masters from UCL is impressive!

UCL would just laugh in my face if I applied

Posted from TSR Mobile
A masters from UCL is impressive!

UCL would just laugh in my face if I applied

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the course, some are oversubscribed, others not so much. A masters is relatively easy to get onto at UCL or Imperial, usually just a 2.1 from a good university (top 40 ideally). Sometimes they consider candidates with a 2.2, but only if they went to a top 20 uni.
Depends on the course, some are oversubscribed, others not so much. A masters is relatively easy to get onto at UCL or Imperial, usually just a 2.1 from a good university (top 40 ideally). Sometimes they consider candidates with a 2.2, but only if they went to a top 20 uni.

I meant for undergraduate, but even postgrad would be hard, everyone always tells me how competitive psychology postgrad is! Never mind at a fantastic like UCL or Imperial

Posted from TSR Mobile
I meant for undergraduate, but even postgrad would be hard, everyone always tells me how competitive psychology postgrad is! Never mind at a fantastic like UCL or Imperial

Posted from TSR Mobile

Psychology is oversubscribed at any level. Though one of my mates went onto become a professional psychologist after getting a 2.1 from UCLANC, never mind UCL! It seems in this profession it is more the grade you get that matters most. Though going to a good uni is always a good bonus.
(edited 9 years ago)
Psychology is oversubscribed at any level. Though one of my mates went onto become a professional psychologist after getting a 2.1 from UCLANC, never mind UCL! It seems in this profession it is more the grade you get that matters most. Though going to a good uni is always a good bonus.

Really? Where did he do his post grad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? Where did he do his post grad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was a she. She had her course paid for at a top London uni (can't remember, might have been KCL) by the hospital who gave her the training contract. She was working for them part time at the same time.
It was a she. She had her course paid for at a top London uni (can't remember, might have been KCL) by the hospital who gave her the training contract. She was working for them part time at the same time.

Wow! Jealous of her like

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow! Jealous of her like

Posted from TSR Mobile

She works with people with serious mental health problems in secure hospital wards. Can be rewarding, but also can be dangerous. You never know when one of her patients might turn on her, out of diminished responsibility.
She works with people with serious mental health problems in secure hospital wards. Can be rewarding, but also can be dangerous. You never know when one of her patients might turn on her, out of diminished responsibility.

That's exactly what I want to do. A very dangerous job, like you said

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending