The Student Room Group

Anyone started their own business or know anyone who has during university?

Hey

I am in year 12 and have heard of all the entrepreneur societies and support a lot of universities have, I have always wanted to be self employed and I was just wondering if anyone has ever successfully started or known someone who has started their own business during university using the uni entrepreneur support schemes/societies available?

Just wondering because I really like the idea of starting a business along with the support and help from the professionals on hand at the university as I've heard and read some very good things about entrepreneur societies at universities!

thank you!:smile:
Gonna move :smile:
Original post by *Interrobang*
Gonna move :smile:

Pardon?
I moved the thread from the Chat forum to a more relevant forum
Yep im involved with and know about 4-5 businesses operated by friends. Often tends to club nights, festivals or just clever ideas
Original post by *Interrobang*
I moved the thread from the Chat forum to a more relevant forum

Could you send me the link for it's new location then please? :smile:
My friend and I from home are just in the early days of starting one now. We study the same subject at uni but she's at Newcastle and I'm at Sheffield so we just meet up when we're both back home and Skype and stuff. We're both doing years abroad, I'm going this year and she's going next so we hope that will also work in our favour.

Both at Sheffield and Newcastle there are societies and groups that will help you set up a business. In Sheffield, they run it in conjunction with the council which is always good. I'm sure wherever you go there will be something in place that will also help you.
Original post by JMG-Manchester
Could you send me the link for it's new location then please? :smile:

You're in the thread now. The link hasn't changed, only the forum it's located in :smile:
I started my own business, it was set up during my uni time but then I left and went into it fully with backing from my father, I took over his agricultural firm which I then diversified and expanded into other areas, I also set up a family holding company for equity holdings that I control as well as the other businesses under control of myself, basically I brought it all under an umbrella corporation that's based out of Dubai with a large presence in the UK.

I have since gone into work for a small firm to gain experience with the energy sector as I want to expand but lack the knowledge of the sector.
Reply 9
Guy I work with started his part time business at the same time he started uni. Before he graduated he was earning more than he would've earnt when he was qualified so dropped out of uni. Never looked back. It's about finding the right opportunity for you.
I know 2 guys on my course at uni, one builds and repairs computers and another invested in a 3d printer and started a business printing 3d things for customers
I opened up my own Digital Agency when I was in first year and second year. I provided SEO and web design services to local companies. I tried to continue it in third year currently but it is very hard to do so. So now I just manage my own personal websites that I earn a passive income from :smile:
Original post by sweetdude
I opened up my own Digital Agency when I was in first year and second year. I provided SEO and web design services to local companies. I tried to continue it in third year currently but it is very hard to do so. So now I just manage my own personal websites that I earn a passive income from :smile:

How can a person earn from providing SEO and web design services to local companies?
Original post by Enoxial
How can a person earn from providing SEO and web design services to local companies?

I provided free websites to dentists, barbers, private schools and then they started referring their friends and family and then it expanded.

Once you have done a website you tell them about SEO provide them with free citations to yellow pages etc. Then you explain them the power of SEO and how ranking on top of google for certain keywords can benefit them and just carry on this process.
Original post by sweetdude
I provided free websites to dentists, barbers, private schools and then they started referring their friends and family and then it expanded.

Once you have done a website you tell them about SEO provide them with free citations to yellow pages etc. Then you explain them the power of SEO and how ranking on top of google for certain keywords can benefit them and just carry on this process.

Sorry I meant to ask How much can a person earn from SEO.
Forgot the 'much' :facepalm:
Original post by Enoxial
Sorry I meant to ask How much can a person earn from SEO.
Forgot the 'much' :facepalm:

It depends on the client to be honest. I start the price from £199 a month bare minimum and then you can mark it up depending on the client. For example a dentist would earn much more and would be willing to pay £350 a month if you look after everything on-page SEO and off-page with social media, blogs etc. Whereas a barber would not probably pay that price and so would offer for £199.

Quick Reply

Latest