The Student Room Group

Rejection

Hello everyone! Uhm, I have a question for you all :smile: I think it's ok to ask for feedback from unis in case of rejection, right? The only thing is that I don't know how the mail should be like. Could you please help me?

Scroll to see replies

The only reason you would normally ask for feedback is if you're going to reapply or if you were interviewed first so you know how to improve on your next interviews. If not there isn't much point in asking for feedback, most likely case was that your grades aren't good enough.
Original post by iama
Hello everyone! Uhm, I have a question for you all :smile: I think it's ok to ask for feedback from unis in case of rejection, right? The only thing is that I don't know how the mail should be like. Could you please help me?

I was rejected from Nottingham and I emailed them to ask for feedback. I just stated that I was looking to know why my application was unsuccessful. Nothing else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
The only reason you would normally ask for feedback is if you're going to reapply or if you were interviewed first so you know how to improve on your next interviews. If not there isn't much point in asking for feedback, most likely case was that your grades aren't good enough.

Thank you for your answer. But you see, most unis don't have the minimum grades required for my exam and I would like to know that, I think I should be allowed to know. And it could also be my ps since I think my grades were good enough. Even in this case should I not ask them?
Reply 4
Original post by Coffeetime
I was rejected from Nottingham and I emailed them to ask for feedback. I just stated that I was looking to know why my application was unsuccessful. Nothing else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And have they repplied? I also emailed a uni and have had no answer so I thought maybe I wasn't polite enough in my words..
Original post by iama
Thank you for your answer. But you see, most unis don't have the minimum grades required for my exam and I would like to know that, I think I should be allowed to know. And it could also be my ps since I think my grades were good enough. Even in this case should I not ask them?

I see, well even if it was your personal statement was the issue you can't change it.

I asked for feedback when I got rejected from imperial but they gave me a generic bull crap statement. Remember the university will be extremely busy at this time with other applicants so don't expect a quick response.

When I asked for feedback Imperial said they would get back to me in a month or so but never did :lol:
Original post by iama
And have they repplied? I also emailed a uni and have had no answer so I thought maybe I wasn't polite enough in my words..

Yep. It took a couple of days though. I also sent it directly to the department I applied for.
Reply 7
I see, well even if it was your personal statement was the issue you can't change it.

I asked for feedback when I got rejected from imperial but they gave me a generic bull crap statement. Remember the university will be extremely busy at this time with other applicants so don't expect a quick response.

When I asked for feedback Imperial said they would get back to me in a month or so but never did :lol:

No, for this year, but I would be interested to know as a future refference, I don't really like going to battle without knowing anything haha. Anyways, one of the unis that rejected me did have the minimum on their site and I got above that, with full marks on math (the most important subject I had tested for the degree I'm applying to). So the point is that my grades are good enough for absolutely any uni, but 2 of them still rejected me :-?

To make my life easier I suppose, I am thinking that maybe thay didn't have much knowledge abt it and rejected me just because of that, but I know that's not true haha. So my PS was bullsht. Buuuuuuut, I just can't accept that, that doesn't sound right at all!! Ughh, I'm really baffled and confused dammit. It was really good! It doesn't mean much when I'm saying it but even so, I read other PS from other years in all kind of fields, including mine, and trust me, I can't see how mine wouldn't be good enough, in my mind it was way better. I think I just don't know what this process is all about and how admission staff and teachers over there think.

You're right, I most definately won't receive a good answer if any at all :angry: Thank you for your input! It made me feel better to 'vent' a bit, I am still waiting to tell my parents abt it..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iama
No, for this year, but I would be interested to know as a future refference, I don't really like going to battle without knowing anything haha. Anyways, one of the unis that rejected me did have the minimum on their site and I got above that, with full marks on math (the most important subject I had tested for the degree I'm applying to). So the point is that my grades are good enough for absolutely any uni, but 2 of them still rejected me :-?

To make my life easier I suppose, I am thinking that maybe thay didn't have much knowledge abt it and rejected me just because of that, but I know that's not true haha. So my PS was bullsht. Buuuuuuut, I just can't accept that, that doesn't sound right at all!! Ughh, I'm really baffled and confused dammit. It was really good! It doesn't mean much when I'm saying it but even so, I read other PS from other years in all kind of fields, including mine, and trust me, I can't see how mine wouldn't be good enough, in my mind it was way better. I think I just don't know what this process is all about and how admission staff and teachers over there think.

You're right, I most definately won't receive a good answer if any at all :angry: Thank you for your input! It made me feel better to 'vent' a bit, I am still waiting to tell my parents abt it..

Wait, so you haven't applied yet?

If you give me more information about your course and where you applied to previously I can give you more help :biggrin:
Reply 9
Wait, so you haven't applied yet?

If you give me more information about your course and where you applied to previously I can give you more help :biggrin:

Noo no no, I did. What I said didn't sound right :-? I don't know exactly when exactly and in what circumstances, but I was thinking that if I will be in a possition to apply again I'd like to know where I fit. Maybe I'll apply again next year if necessary or just so that I'll be able to give advice to other people I know, since the Uk is a popular place to apply in my aquintance circle :biggrin:

Ohh,ok. Soo I've applied to Warwick, Leeds, Bath, LSE and Lancaster for accounting and finance. Rejected by Leeds and Warwick. It would be nice to know if you have any insight on how much ps matter for these (I suppose warwick and leeds are out, I should stop being bothered by them) but it's ok if not. Also, I would hate to bother you (I'm a bit awkward with social situations) so please tell me if that's the case :smile:
Original post by iama
Noo no no, I did. What I said didn't sound right :-? I don't know exactly when exactly and in what circumstances, but I was thinking that if I will be in a possition to apply again I'd like to know where I fit. Maybe I'll apply again next year if necessary or just so that I'll be able to give advice to other people I know, since the Uk is a popular place to apply in my aquintance circle :biggrin:

Ohh,ok. Soo I've applied to Warwick, Leeds, Bath, LSE and Lancaster for accounting and finance. Rejected by Leeds and Warwick. It would be nice to know if you have any insight on how much ps matter for these (I suppose warwick and leeds are out, I should stop being bothered by them) but it's ok if not. Also, I would hate to bother you (I'm a bit awkward with social situations) so please tell me if that's the case :smile:

Right so you're an international student applying under IB's I presume?

Right well considering warwick is one of the best universities in the UK bar Cambridge for finance and accounting it will be very competitive and even if you have the right grades you still have to have an amazing PS etc.

I'm not sure about Leeds but I know its a good university so the PS is important.
IMO however I think the personal statement definitely isn't as important as grades and acedemics but it certainly helps especially if you're not doing A-Levels.

No bother at all happy to help :smile:
Reply 11
Right so you're an international student applying under IB's I presume?

Right well considering warwick is one of the best universities in the UK bar Cambridge for finance and accounting it will be very competitive and even if you have the right grades you still have to have an amazing PS etc.

I'm not sure about Leeds but I know its a good university so the PS is important.
IMO however I think the personal statement definitely isn't as important as grades and acedemics but it certainly helps especially if you're not doing A-Levels.

No bother at all happy to help :smile:

I have other qualification, but I always wanted to have the IB, it sounds cool for some reason :biggrin:

well, it's ok now.. I think they are more lenient on home students and demand a higher score from outsiders, which makes sense and is totally good with the direction they have. It's really hard to be aware of so many global exams. I am still disappointed and don't agree with them (I'm being completely subjective and it's because it didn't work out in my favour) but that's it. At least my PS doesn't suck that much lol that makes me feel a tad better too.

you make total sense!! I went by the fact that acc and fin doesn't seem like the most popular degree, but even if that is the case, the applicants are going to gather around the best choices, right? My eyes have been opened, thank you, sir! I was underestimating this whole thing a bit.

thank youu for your help! This place is awesome and I can't get away and the people are a big part xD
Original post by iama
I have other qualification, but I always wanted to have the IB, it sounds cool for some reason :biggrin:

well, it's ok now.. I think they are more lenient on home students and demand a higher score from outsiders, which makes sense and is totally good with the direction they have. It's really hard to be aware of so many global exams. I am still disappointed and don't agree with them (I'm being completely subjective and it's because it didn't work out in my favour) but that's it. At least my PS doesn't suck that much lol that makes me feel a tad better too.

you make total sense!! I went by the fact that acc and fin doesn't seem like the most popular degree, but even if that is the case, the applicants are going to gather around the best choices, right? My eyes have been opened, thank you, sir! I was underestimating this whole thing a bit.

thank youu for your help! This place is awesome and I can't get away and the people are a big part xD

Ok, that's fair enough I hate the exam system too :biggrin: well if you got the grades for Warwick you must have done well in your exams!

Good to hear I'm happy to help :smile: Yes even non popular subjects are competitive at top unis. Let me know how your application goes and good luck!

If you want to know any more about UK unis or need any help just ask :biggrin:
Reply 13
Ok, that's fair enough I hate the exam system too :biggrin: well if you got the grades for Warwick you must have done well in your exams!

Good to hear I'm happy to help :smile: Yes even non popular subjects are competitive at top unis. Let me know how your application goes and good luck!

If you want to know any more about UK unis or need any help just ask :biggrin:

i worked hard in my studies :biggrin: That didn't even cross my mind, I was totally oblivious to other applicants. Aanyways, just 2 offers and I'll be happy. I already have one and need to hear back from 2 unis. But since I have my exam results already they should be unconditional so there won't be any problem. Uk, here I come! (next year :blush: )

Ok, I will ^^
Original post by iama
i worked hard in my studies :biggrin: That didn't even cross my mind, I was totally oblivious to other applicants. Aanyways, just 2 offers and I'll be happy. I already have one and need to hear back from 2 unis. But since I have my exam results already they should be unconditional so there won't be any problem. Uk, here I come! (next year :blush: )

Ok, I will ^^

Glad to hear, congrats on the offer! :woo:
Which uni is it? The UK is awesome you'll love it. :lol:
Reply 15
Glad to hear, congrats on the offer! :woo:
Which uni is it? The UK is awesome you'll love it. :lol:

I am so thankful for it ;-; Lancaster, such nice people, luv all of them! haha. Thank youu. For sure. It's way way better than where I live and it's really exciting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iama
I am so thankful for it ;-; Lancaster, such nice people, luv all of them! haha. Thank youu. For sure. It's way way better than where I live and it's really exciting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great university, well done :smile: what country are you from? If you don't mind me asking
Reply 17
Great university, well done :smile: what country are you from? If you don't mind me asking

I don't mind it, but I'll rather not say now :biggrin: I'm trying to be a bit mysterious. Btw, I've been trying for 2 days to use this +1 function on your comments, but you're the only person it doesn't allow me to, it keeps on saying to rate other ppl and try again (I've been rating random ppl but still nothing). Do you know why it's doing that?...
Original post by iama
I don't mind it, but I'll rather not say now :biggrin: I'm trying to be a bit mysterious. Btw, I've been trying for 2 days to use this +1 function on your comments, but you're the only person it doesn't allow me to, it keeps on saying to rate other ppl and try again (I've been rating random ppl but still nothing). Do you know why it's doing that?...

Haha ok no worries :tongue: oh don't worry about that I don't care about rep, its probably because you can only give out 5 per day I think.
Reply 19
Haha ok no worries :tongue: oh don't worry about that I don't care about rep, its probably because you can only give out 5 per day I think.

I knoow, thought I'd do something back. I don't really rate people so that's not at fault, plus it's just with you. I won't insist more with it then. But I'll just say this, I like your username :tongue: Have a good day~

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending