The Student Room Group

Is taking 18 exams at Alevels all in the summer too much?

Whats your opinion? do you know of anyone doing well after taking many exams at once?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, and why are you taking 18? Are they retakes? If so, you're probably going to struggle...
Original post by rakib567
Whats your opinion? do you know of anyone doing well after taking many exams at once?

Are these AS or A2 ?
I've finished my A levels so could give good advice :smile:
It would probably be too much for most people, but I'm sure some could do it.
Reply 4
Damn, I was luckily able to do January exams and retakes back when it was possible. I did know one person who was retaking everything and had about 16 though. Don't know if she did well or not. It seems really tough though, I imagine they wouldn't be spaced out over a few weeks either.
Reply 5
Original post by futuremedic19
Are these AS or A2 ?
I've finished my A levels so could give good advice :smile:

:smile: 9 For AS and 9 for A2 (3 of which are controlled assessment practicals). Do you have an any experiences of this sort?
Reply 6
If you can cope with stress then why not - go for it.
:smile: 9 For AS and 9 for A2 (3 of which are controlled assessment practicals). Do you have an any experiences of this sort?

Yeah I've been through all that and it's hell!!!!

This is what's gonna happen, basically your gonna have most of your AS exams in may and then the rest in early june BUT!! What the exam boards do is that they've stupidly put all the A2 exams within 2 weeks of another with no half term break so its nonstop stress, and what I found was that it was impossible to mentally switch from one module to another within 1-2 days and then another.
Trust me I did 5 A levels and had no AS (two A2) resits and ended up with 11 A2 exams within the space of like 2 weeks and I ended up having a break down. I revised my socks off all year but when it came to summer exams I just couldn't learn anymore due to the stress and it's impossible to switch from one module to another particularly if your doing Chemistry and Biology like I did.

I know the government has screwed everyone over by getting rid of Jan exams and it's really annoying I know !!!!

But imo I wouldn't advise it, rather try and focus on the your next upcoming modules only to try and get you those extra marks to get the grades you want.
Hope that was helpful :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Yeah I've been through all that and it's hell!!!!

This is what's gonna happen, basically your gonna have most of your AS exams in may and then the rest in early june BUT!! What the exam boards do is that they've stupidly put all the A2 exams within 2 weeks of another with no half term break so its nonstop stress, and what I found was that it was impossible to mentally switch from one module to another within 1-2 days and then another.
Trust me I did 5 A levels and had no AS (two A2) resits and ended up with 11 A2 exams within the space of like 2 weeks and I ended up having a break down. I revised my socks off all year but when it came to summer exams I just couldn't learn anymore due to the stress and it's impossible to switch from one module to another particularly if your doing Chemistry and Biology like I did.

I know the government has screwed everyone over by getting rid of Jan exams and it's really annoying I know !!!!

But imo I wouldn't advise it, rather try and focus on the your next upcoming modules only to try and get you those extra marks to get the grades you want.
Hope that was helpful :smile:

that is what i am afraid about. i really don't want to mess up due to the huge amount of work and how close the exams are.

thanks for the advice anyway :smile:
that is what i am afraid about. i really don't want to mess up due to the huge amount of work and how close the exams are.

thanks for the advice anyway :smile:

You welcome :smile:. Are u doing science subjects and what've you applied for for uni ?

Yeah deffo stay away from 18 it's toooo much for anyone. If it was 18 GCSE exams it would've been manageable but 18 A level exams is near impossible and the speaking from personal experience the workload and stress is unbearable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
You welcome :smile:. Are u doing science subjects and what've you applied for for uni ?

Yeah deffo stay away from 18 it's toooo much for anyone. If it was 18 GCSE exams it would've been manageable but 18 A level exams is near impossible and the speaking from personal experience the workload and stress is unbearable.

Bio Chem and Maths.

most of chem and maths comes up again so I should be fine with that. Also i am retaking 1 physics module from last year which goes in hand with the mechanisc modules that i am doing in maths.

i have decided to get my grades first and then apply next year
Reply 11
Bio Chem and Maths.

most of chem and maths comes up again so I should be fine with that. Also i am retaking 1 physics module from last year which goes in hand with the mechanisc modules that i am doing in maths.

i have decided to get my grades first and then apply next year

Firstly best of luck!
where are you applying and for which course? Im in a kinda similar situation to you but I already have an A level in the bag.
Reply 12
so you havent got 18 exams this summer, you've got 14 and 4 ISA's which will be taken at some time before the summer? 14 isnt too much so dont worry. although doing 4 hours per exam per week will be hard
Reply 13
Original post by H-Barca
so you havent got 18 exams this summer, you've got 14 and 4 ISA's which will be taken at some time before the summer? 14 isnt too much so dont worry. although doing 4 hours per exam per week will be hard

my school unfortunately does EMPAs. but i have 3 Empas (Biology and Chemistry a2 and Biology AS).

so overall is 15 Exams.
Reply 14
Original post by Rkai01
Firstly best of luck!
where are you applying and for which course? Im in a kinda similar situation to you but I already have an A level in the bag.

i am taking a gap year and hopefully i will aply for Dentistry if i get the grades.
my school unfortunately does EMPAs. but i have 3 Empas (Biology and Chemistry a2 and Biology AS).

so overall is 15 Exams.

i am taking a gap year and hopefully i will aply for Dentistry if i get the grades.

Hi I think thats great that your focusing on the grades this year and not being distracted by the UCAS application and all the interviews for Dentistry. Btw I'm on a gap year reapplying for Medicine and I achieved aaaa at AS and AA*AA Distinction at A2.

First of all I'm sooo sorry your stuck with Aqa for bio and chem. I only had them for Bio and they're EMPAs are rediculous especially the A2 ones and BIOL5 makes me wanna cry just thinking about how it never seemed to end.

I did Bio, chem and maths aswell so if u want me to go over a topic with you or explain a past question then please don't hesitate to PM me. Dw I was in your position last year so I just wanna support you through it :smile:
:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16

Check this guy out. He certainly did well after taking 35 A levels! :tongue:

http://besttutors.co.uk/best-tutors-a-level-2011.htm
I did 12 in summer and it was fine :smile: (not including ISAs)

That being said, mine were fairly spread out. I know one girl who had 4 exams on the same day and needless to say she didn't do as well as she could have done. That was crazy stupid time tabling
Reply 18
Hi I think thats great that your focusing on the grades this year and not being distracted by the UCAS application and all the interviews for Dentistry. Btw I'm on a gap year reapplying for Medicine and I achieved aaaa at AS and AA*AA Distinction at A2.

First of all I'm sooo sorry your stuck with Aqa for bio and chem. I only had them for Bio and they're EMPAs are rediculous especially the A2 ones and BIOL5 makes me wanna cry just thinking about how it never seemed to end.

I did Bio, chem and maths aswell so if u want me to go over a topic with you or explain a past question then please don't hesitate to PM me. Dw I was in your position last year so I just wanna support you through it :smile:
:smile:

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the support. AQA seem to be the biggest scumbags of all time! their mark scheme are SO specific and ignorant of other answers. they are narrow minded and that it just stupid and unfair.
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the support. AQA seem to be the biggest scumbags of all time! their mark scheme are SO specific and ignorant of other answers. they are narrow minded and that it just stupid and unfair.

Couldn't agree more mate. Their exams are all How science works questions and the A2 EMPA is all How science works and literaly no Biology questions. I've ran out of words to rant about AQA and their mark schemes.

Like I said I'm always here for you (or anyone currently doing A levels bio/chem or maths) so if you want any help PM me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest