The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There is no system of axioms that is capable of proving all truths about the relations of numbers and demonstrate its own consistency :smile:

For example, in the maths we do: you take for granted that 1 + 1 = 2 but how do you actually prove it? There are certain things (called axioms) that have to be taken for granted for the system to work and cannot be proven by the system itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vionar
Are these mathsy things or are there any that I'd understand? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll try and explain it basically:
So we have a system L
We have a statement G: G is not provable in language L

Assume G is false --> G is provable in L
but G is also unprovable --> Paradox!

Assume G is true --> consistent

...?

Original post by aersh8
There is no system of axioms that is capable of proving all truths about the relations of numbers and demonstrate its own consistency :smile:

For example, in the maths we do: you take for granted that 1 + 1 = 2 but how do you actually prove it? There are certain things (called axioms) that have to be taken for granted for the system to work and cannot be proven by the system itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Proof that 1+1=2
Original post by aersh8

Posted from TSR Mobile

That qualifies as weird mathsy stuff :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
I'll try and explain it basically:
So we have a system L
We have a statement G: G is not provable in language L

Assume G is false --> G is provable in L
but G is also unprovable --> Paradox!

Assume G is true --> consistent

...?

Proof that 1+1=2

I think I understand that :tongue: It's very complicated for my young simple mind :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
HAS ANYONE ELSE DONE THE SAME? :O

I received another offer from one of my 5 UCAS University choices. I was curious to see 3 years down the line
of the colour of my graduation robes I would be wearing.

Has anyone else looked at the graduation robes of their potential universities their applying to?
If so, what do you think :wink:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

I received another offer from one of my 5 UCAS University choices. I was curious to see 3 years down the line

Has anyone else looked at the graduation robes of their potential universities their applying to?

I've only looked at college robes that you wear as an undergrad in Cambridge but that's a good idea, I'll check them out now! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/graduation/images/robes-2

These look alright, although the hats are awfully funny

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bummer :frown: where did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

where can you find the grad robes ? :smile:
Original post by rachelc142
where can you find the grad robes ? :smile:

Just Google it

Posted from TSR Mobile
John Petrucci's Suspended Animation album is so good :music:
Nice! What course? Have you heard back from anyone yet?

Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, Sheffield and Imperial :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
anybody applied for a year abroad? looking at the university I could possibly be going to in Paris and getting SUPER excited
Haha yeah I'm taking all the sciences, maths, as further maths and Russian :smile: I've applied to a variety of courses but have offers from UCL, Manchester and Sheffield so far.

That sucks for you! I was the first one to be sent and the first one our director of studies ever sent (since she's new :P)

Good luck though! Stats is cool, though I prefer mechanics, maybe because I'm self teaching it so avoiding all the bs. Bad science by Ben Goldacre may be an interesting read if you enjoy stats since its about how they can be manipulated to promote certain opinions etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
anybody applied for a year abroad? looking at the university I could possibly be going to in Paris and getting SUPER excited

I've applied for a placement year, but I might get the opportunity to do a research project at the uni, in industry or abroad. I'd definitely choose abroad though :lol:
Original post by Bude8
I've applied for a placement year, but I might get the opportunity to do a research project at the uni, in industry or abroad. I'd definitely choose abroad though :lol:

Ah cool! I think placement year would be great too. I'd only do that instead of study if it was at cern or something :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah cool! I think placement year would be great too. I'd only do that instead of study if it was at cern or something :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you been to CERN before? I've went once and it was pretty cool :lol:
Original post by Bude8
Have you been to CERN before? I've went once and it was pretty cool :lol:

No haha I don't really have a reasonable chance of going

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know if any of you will care but I got the job at PC World! :biggrin:

Latest