The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Welsh in Cardiff ?

Interested in Cardiff university and as I come from a Welsh area, Welsh is important to me when selecting a university.

I'm just wondering, how students on average are Welsh students in Cardiff ? and what's it generally like for Welsh there ? Is it spoken in the streets, are there specific societies, bars/pubs for Welsh Speakers ?

Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
Hi there,

I'm not Welsh / speak Welsh but got a few Welsh speaking friends, some of which studied at Cardiff. So I asked them,

There are plenty of opportunities to use your Welsh at Cardiff and meet other Welsh speakers. There’s a student society ‘Y Gym Gym’ that hosts different events and activities throughout the year. There’s also quite a strong Welsh scene around the city with plenty of bars/pubs that are popular with Welsh speakers - can't remember specific names though, I'm sure you find them out soon after you've arrived.

They also give you the choice to live in a welsh speaking flat in university halls.

Hope that helps!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by c2uk
Hi there,

I'm not Welsh / speak Welsh but got a few Welsh speaking friends, some of which studied at Cardiff. So I asked them,

There are plenty of opportunities to use your Welsh at Cardiff and meet other Welsh speakers. There’s a student society ‘Y Gym Gym’ that hosts different events and activities throughout the year. There’s also quite a strong Welsh scene around the city with plenty of bars/pubs that are popular with Welsh speakers - can't remember specific names though, I'm sure you find them out soon after you've arrived.

They also give you the choice to live in a welsh speaking flat in university halls.

Hope that helps!

Very helpful, thank you!
Original post by wb25
Interested in Cardiff university and as I come from a Welsh area, Welsh is important to me when selecting a university.

I'm just wondering, how students on average are Welsh students in Cardiff ? and what's it generally like for Welsh there ? Is it spoken in the streets, are there specific societies, bars/pubs for Welsh Speakers ?

Thanks for any help.

I've lived in Cardiff my whole life (19 years) and honestly, I've only ever heard about 3 people speaking Welsh on the streets here and they were from North Wales so it's pretty rare for people to actually speak it fluently down here.
I'm applying for Cardiff uni and speak some Welsh (although I understand more Welsh than I can speak). Most Welsh students would be the same as you have to learn Welsh as a GCSE option if you're a Welsh student.
Generally for Welsh? All the signs have Welsh and English on them if that's what you mean?
I don't know of any Welsh bars or societies but there probably are some somewhere.
Hope I've helped.. :tongue:
Honestly, the only people I ever hear speak Welsh are the people who do the announcements at Cardiff Central. This is South Wales, pal. No one speaks it.
Reply 5
Original post by abbalarr95
I've lived in Cardiff my whole life (19 years) and honestly, I've only ever heard about 3 people speaking Welsh on the streets here and they were from North Wales so it's pretty rare for people to actually speak it fluently down here.
I'm applying for Cardiff uni and speak some Welsh (although I understand more Welsh than I can speak). Most Welsh students would be the same as you have to learn Welsh as a GCSE option if you're a Welsh student.
Generally for Welsh? All the signs have Welsh and English on them if that's what you mean?
I don't know of any Welsh bars or societies but there probably are some somewhere.
Hope I've helped.. :tongue:

Original post by Holby_fanatic
Honestly, the only people I ever hear speak Welsh are the people who do the announcements at Cardiff Central. This is South Wales, pal. No one speaks it.

Guys, this is so not true, there's a very active Welsh speaking scene at the university, you clearly are not students at the uni / or Welsh speakers yourself, and as such can't really talk about such things.
Original post by wb25

Thanks for any help.

Hi OP I've lived in Cardiff now for 14 years. I never hear people having a conversation in Welsh, there's gotta be a welsh society in Cardiff uni im pretty sure there is.
But no you won't find it spoken on the streets of Cardiff/Swansea or Newport.

However I'm not gonna lie Welsh is written everywhere alongside the English and the people here seem to be proud of it. They really encourage you to learn it and speak it in schools so I guess everyone knows the basics like Bore da, Diolch etc..
Hope that was helpful.
Hwyl fawr :smile:
Original post by c2uk
Guys, this is so not true, there's a very active Welsh speaking scene at the university, you clearly are not students at the uni / or Welsh speakers yourself, and as such can't really talk about such things.

I am a second year student there actually, and I do speak Welsh. It's pointless here since everyone speaks English anyway.
There's quite a few W elsh speakers here. A society for Welsh speakers, and you can take your exams in Welsh :smile:
Original post by c2uk

I am a student in Cardiff, just not the university. That wasn't the whole purpose of my response though, I was talking about the area in general.
I said I understand a lot more Welsh than I am comfortable to speak, so I would recognise it if people were speaking it actually.
I've worked in a shop in queens street for about a year and all jobs prior to that have also been in the city centre so I know a lot about the people shopping in the actual centre and know that hardly anyone bothers to speak Welsh when they are out shopping or just generally out within the centre.
I'm allowed to reply to a thread about Cardiff if I've lived here all my life and know a lot about life in general here. Not all of us have to be students of the uni to reply to a thread about Cardiff.
Reply 10
I am a student in Cardiff, just not the university. That wasn't the whole purpose of my response though, I was talking about the area in general.
I said I understand a lot more Welsh than I am comfortable to speak, so I would recognise it if people were speaking it actually.
I've worked in a shop in queens street for about a year and all jobs prior to that have also been in the city centre so I know a lot about the people shopping in the actual centre and know that hardly anyone bothers to speak Welsh when they are out shopping or just generally out within the centre.
I'm allowed to reply to a thread about Cardiff if I've lived here all my life and know a lot about life in general here. Not all of us have to be students of the uni to reply to a thread about Cardiff.

Not a student at Cardiff University, that's key here. You claimed "Most Welsh students would be the same as you have to learn Welsh as a GCSE option if you're a Welsh student." (I believe the majority of students are actually not from Wales) but as you are not a student at the university, you cannot make such claims. The uni has it's own students' union with a lot of societies, one of which is one of Welsh speakers. They've got dedicated accommodation for those wishing to live with others who speak Welsh. You can't comment on these two, and claiming that there's nobody speaking Welsh at Cardiff University / or who have had Welsh only as a GCSE option is simply not true.

Sure Cardiff is a predominantly English speaking city, but what you may not realise is that Cardiff also has a very large Welsh speaking population, no idea why you haven't been exposed to it, I've got a few colleagues in my office whose first language is Welsh and not English, they raise their kids in Welsh. When I go shopping, I hear people speak Welsh - not that frequent and in some areas you hear Eastern European languages more frequent than Welsh but it's there.
Original post by c2uk
Not a student at Cardiff University, that's key here. You claimed "Most Welsh students would be the same as you have to learn Welsh as a GCSE option if you're a Welsh student." (I believe the majority of students are actually not from Wales) but as you are not a student at the university, you cannot make such claims. The uni has it's own students' union with a lot of societies, one of which is one of Welsh speakers. They've got dedicated accommodation for those wishing to live with others who speak Welsh. You can't comment on these two, and claiming that there's nobody speaking Welsh at Cardiff University / or who have had Welsh only as a GCSE option is simply not true.

Sure Cardiff is a predominantly English speaking city, but what you may not realise is that Cardiff also has a very large Welsh speaking population, no idea why you haven't been exposed to it, I've got a few colleagues in my office whose first language is Welsh and not English, they raise their kids in Welsh. When I go shopping, I hear people speak Welsh - not that frequent and in some areas you hear Eastern European languages more frequent than Welsh but it's there.

Welsh students being students from Wales.. Not students in a Welsh university such as Cardiff. Every student in a comprehensive school in Wales has to take Welsh as a short course GCSE option, it's a compulsory course, like English is at GCSE also. I didn't say anything about people in the university speaking Welsh as I don't even go to the uni.

It's rare to find younger generations speaking fluent Welsh in the South of Wales unless they're from another part of Wales. I went to primary school, secondary school and college in Cardiff and don't know anyone my age who speaks fluent Welsh. I understand that your experiences have been different, but I'm giving my personal perspective on this.
Original post by c2uk

But I can make such claims because I am Welsh, lived about 10 minutes away from Cardiff by train for years, and now I study there (Not even Cardiff Met or University of South Wales. Cardiff University). You said yourself that you don't study there, and you're not even Welsh, so who do you think you are to just shoot down our opinions from OUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE? I think our experience trumps your "I heard from my friends..." crap.

In everyday life, you are not going to hear Welsh being spoken here. You have to actively seek it out through joining the Welsh society, choosing to live with others who speak Welsh, etc. We'd know more than you so you can leave the advising to us.
Reply 13
Welsh students being students from Wales.. Not students in a Welsh university such as Cardiff. Every student in a comprehensive school in Wales has to take Welsh as a short course GCSE option, it's a compulsory course, like English is at GCSE also. I didn't say anything about people in the university speaking Welsh as I don't even go to the uni.

It's rare to find younger generations speaking fluent Welsh in the South of Wales unless they're from another part of Wales. I went to primary school, secondary school and college in Cardiff and don't know anyone my age who speaks fluent Welsh. I understand that your experiences have been different, but I'm giving my personal perspective on this.

Original post by Holby_fanatic
But I can make such claims because I am Welsh, lived about 10 minutes away from Cardiff by train for years, and now I study there (Not even Cardiff Met or University of South Wales. Cardiff University). You said yourself that you don't study there, and you're not even Welsh, so who do you think you are to just shoot down our opinions from OUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE? I think our experience trumps your "I heard from my friends..." crap.

In everyday life, you are not going to hear Welsh being spoken here. You have to actively seek it out through joining the Welsh society, choosing to live with others who speak Welsh, etc. We'd know more than you so you can leave the advising to us.

Boys, really?

There's Welsh being spoken all over Cardiff. There's a couple of Welsh schools in Cardiff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_in_Cardiff) and the majority of pupils going there come from a Welsh first language background - and I know this because I have friends whose children go to these schools and being a dad with a young daughter I talk about these things with them.

I know about Welsh being spoken in Cardiff because I have about 10 very good friends living in Cardiff whose first language is Welsh, with some of them having studied at Cardiff University. So, yes apparently I know more about Welsh in Cardiff, and particularly at Cardiff University than either of you.

I asked one of my friends today about a few places where Welsh is spoken, he told me about these two:

http://ymochyndu.com/press.html
http://www.clwb.net/
Original post by c2uk
Boys, really?

There's Welsh being spoken all over Cardiff. There's a couple of Welsh schools in Cardiff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_in_Cardiff) and the majority of pupils going there come from a Welsh first language background - and I know this because I have friends whose children go to these schools and being a dad with a young daughter I talk about these things with them.

I know about Welsh being spoken in Cardiff because I have about 10 very good friends living in Cardiff whose first language is Welsh, with some of them having studied at Cardiff University. So, yes apparently I know more about Welsh in Cardiff, and particularly at Cardiff University than either of you.

I asked one of my friends today about a few places where Welsh is spoken, he told me about these two:

Overruling 2 people's 1st hand experience with rumours of a friend's relative, good one :yy:

:rolleyes:
Original post by c2uk
Boys, really?

Having these rumours from around 'ten people' is really not representative of the entire population of Cardiff.. Or even of the university students. You know that right?
Original post by c2uk
Boys, really?

Mate, YOU know nothing. It's your friends that are providing this information.

Up North one would expect to hear Welsh on the streets, in shops, etc, but down South it's a whole different story. Cardiff is the capital city, you think there's going to be loads of Welsh here? No. Because people come from all over the place. It is mainly English that is spoken here. Of course, there will be schools that teach in Welsh, people that converse with others in Welsh, etc, much like there are in other parts of South Wales, but if you think you can go up to a Welsh person in Cardiff, say something in Welsh and expect them to understand and reply in Welsh, you're wrong. That's why those sorts of societies exist. Because there are people who are interested in this sort of thing, but it's not commonplace here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending