The Student Room Group

Below average GCSEs

I was just wondering whether there's anyone who's actually studying in cambridge or who got in as an undergrad not postgrad with more Bs and Cs at GCSE than their A*s and As
Original post by selenerrr__x
I was just wondering whether there's anyone who's actually studying in cambridge or who got in as an undergrad not postgrad with more Bs and Cs at GCSE than their A*s and As

I never got any A/A* AT GCSE.:frown:
Reply 2
Original post by 08.f.poswal
I never got any A/A* AT GCSE.:frown:

May I ask where and what you are studying?
Oh, sorry, You were specifically asking Cambridge students.

No, I'm 17 and I study AT City of bristol college,
Original post by 08.f.poswal
Oh, sorry, You were specifically asking Cambridge students.

No, I'm 17 and I study AT City of bristol college,

oooo that is not too far from where I go :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by selenerrr__x

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/presentations/2013/Good_Practice_in_Supporting_Applicants.pdf
It happens...see above.
Reply 6
I only got ten A*s (+ one A) and they rejected me because of it, I had to settle for Oxford instead when I re-applied
Reply 7
Original post by squishie
I only got ten A*s (+ one A) and they rejected me because of it, I had to settle for Oxford instead when I re-applied

Which is why 20 minutes ago you said:
"I was really interested in looking around Oxford, but my parents are forcing me to downgrade to Cambridge, because apparently lineage is more important than a good education!!!"
Reply 8

Very surprised at the amount of people that got in with such low UMS averages. There even appears to be one for History that received an offer despite being below 70%!

In response to the OP, my GCSEs were quite dreadful (Actually dreadful, not just dreadful by TSR standards) and I still received an interview from Cambridge yesterday. Hell, my AS level UMS is pretty poor by Cambridge standards too. Though I did have some rather pressing extenuating circumstances, especially regarding my GCSE results. Plus I applied for Classics - arguably Cambridge's smallest subject - at Peterhouse - Cambridge's smallest college. It will almost certainly different if, say, you apply for NatSci or Economics at Trinity or King's.

I can't comment on getting offers yet, for obvious reasons. But considering the amount of people that get rejected pre-interview, I think it's damn near a miracle that I passed that stage of the application! I'll keep you updated on how things go for me.
Reply 9
Original post by Robertus
Very surprised at the amount of people that got in with such low UMS averages. There even appears to be one for History that received an offer despite being below 70%!

In response to the OP, my GCSEs were quite dreadful (Actually dreadful, not just dreadful by TSR standards) and I still received an interview from Cambridge yesterday. Hell, my AS level UMS is pretty poor by Cambridge standards too. Though I did have some rather pressing extenuating circumstances, especially regarding my GCSE results. Plus I applied for Classics - arguably Cambridge's smallest subject - at Peterhouse - Cambridge's smallest college. It will almost certainly different if, say, you apply for NatSci or Economics at Trinity or King's.

I can't comment on getting offers yet, for obvious reasons. But considering the amount of people that get rejected pre-interview, I think it's damn near a miracle that I passed that stage of the application! I'll keep you updated on how things go for me.

I think you neatly sum it up. We don't know the back story behind some of these students. Most of the outliers will have extenuating circumstances or disadvantage which makes Cambridge believe they will do better than the past exam record suggests. So good luck and hopefully you will be another one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
I think you neatly sum it up. We don't know the back story behind some of these students. Most of the outliers will have extenuating circumstances or disadvantage which makes Cambridge believe they will do better than the past exam record suggests. So good luck and hopefully you will be another one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true. Part of the reason I chose Cambridge over Oxford was because I simply felt they'd be more accommodating in that sense. At Oxford there seems to be a strong sense that there is an "unwritten entry requirement" that you must have a certain number of A*s to even get an interview. There's no implication of that with Cambridge, and, officially at least, there are no strict guidelines that admissions tutors use to decide who gets interviews/offers or not. Of course there are things that will almost certainly get you a quick rejection (Not having the right subjects, poor A2 predicted grades, genuinely poor AS grades) but theoretically, they can admit whoever they like so long as they are confident they will achieve A*AA/A*A*A in the summer.

How is this even possible? With even bad extenuating circumstances, I can't see a straight B/C AS applicant faring well at Cambridge...
A guy at my school last year got in with 2 A*s at gcse for History, it's not exactly what you asked but it's not as though it will completely ruin your chances of getting an interview if you've not done as well as 10 A*s.
Original post by Asexual Demigod
How is this even possible? With even bad extenuating circumstances, I can't see a straight B/C AS applicant faring well at Cambridge...

Who knows? If Cambridge took them despite all their high standards, I'd say they must have something that fully warrants them a place.

You have to consider that it is a very, very distinct minority which get in with such low grades. Of course there will be circumstances in which that happens, but they are evidently rare.

Perhaps they had an outstanding PS and reference alongside great predicted grades - with low AS grades being the only bad aspect of their application. In this scenario, provided they had some form of extenuating circumstances, it is not unreasonable at all that they might be offered an interview. If they then go on to impress the admissions tutors at interview, then they may well take the chance and give them an offer, just to see if they might achieve it.
Reply 14

Perhaps they came from a deprived background and went to a school where getting a B at AS level was outstanding. It is important to note that Cambridge take into account your performance against your peers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by econam
Perhaps they came from a deprived background and went to a school where getting a B at AS level was outstanding. It is important to note that Cambridge take into account your performance against your peers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

x

Yes, but AS UMS positively correlates with Tripos performance quite well compared to other indicators, so that person would most likely struggle in their degree.
(edited 9 years ago)

Some of the extenuating circumstances can be pretty extreme. Like somebody who had treatment for Leukaemia & was in hospital during most of their AS year, or who was attending a parent's funeral the day they should have sat the second paper of an exam, or who arrived as a refugee with no English only a year before they sat GCSE and so on.

It won't be anything trivial, like getting nail varnish on the cat.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=boJtyaK0j30C&pg=PA83&lpg=PA83&dq=faulty+towers+nail+varnish+on+the+cat&source=bl&ots=9Ub_XFTWxb&sig=KU7_aFN51MHwEF5UJfdYi4pINMk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=8OtsVK_7NbKBsQSgwICADg&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAQ
Yes, but AS UMS positively correlates with Tripos performance quite well compared to other indicators, so that person would most likely struggle in their degree.

Well, yes, but this obviously wouldn't be the case in 100% of circumstances.

Like I said, if Cambridge were to take a candidate with poor UMS scores, it would indicate that they believed very, very strongly that other parts of their application indicated ability to succeed. Given the rigorous competition that any applicant with low AS grades would be up against, I'd judge that they have every ability to succeed if they were selected against all the odds to receive an offer.

One has to accept that there will be a few who, for whatever reason, do not possess grades that correlate with their genuine academic ability. This is especially true when it comes to AS Level exams. In the vast majority of cases, success at AS Level is the best way to determine success at degree level. However, this does not account for those who may go on to achieve several grades higher at A2 than at AS - and this does happen relatively often. These would be the kind of applicants that may, on the off chance, succeed in gaining a Cambridge offer despite low UMS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending