The Student Room Group

Individual Investigations- OCR B Salters

If there's anyone that could help me figure out what I could do for my individual investigation?! I would also appreciate it if someone could tell me where on the OCR website I could find the list of examples that they give to help people decide what to do for their investigations? Please help!!

Scroll to see replies

Finally someone else doing Salters :smile:
If you Google "OCR B F336" the link to the OCR document should come up but I can't copy it on my phone however, the University of York has a little introduction to each of the experiments that you can carry out http://www.york.ac.uk/org/seg/test/Assessment/F336/F336LindaTaylor.htm

I'm doing to kinetics of iodine and propanone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fellow ocr B salters students :biggrin:
You're both starting the coursework already? How is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyricalvibe
Fellow ocr B salters students :biggrin:
You're both starting the coursework already? How is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm in year 13☺ it doesn't make much sense yet but I can just tell it's going to be a load of work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Shantellea
Finally someone else doing Salters :smile:
If you Google "OCR B F336" the link to the OCR document should come up but I can't copy it on my phone however, the University of York has a little introduction to each of the experiments that you can carry out http://www.york.ac.uk/org/seg/test/Assessment/F336/F336LindaTaylor.htm

I'm doing to kinetics of iodine and propanone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!!
Reply 5
Yeah I'm in year 13☺ it doesn't make much sense yet but I can just tell it's going to be a load of work

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also I find that really weird cos we both seem to be in exactly the same position right now. These investigations have stressed me out and we haven't even started them yet haha
Original post by nnlyme
Also I find that really weird cos we both seem to be in exactly the same position right now. These investigations have stressed me out and we haven't even started them yet haha

Aha no problem, I hope it starts to make sense soon, I think once we start it we'll understand it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I am also just about to start my Investigation (already confused) into the kinetics of the oxidation of luminol. Does anyone know where I can find some example investigations to have a look at? Even if they are just rates investigations, I'm just trying to get a feel for the layout.
Thanks
Original post by Belle13579
Hi,

I am also just about to start my Investigation (already confused) into the kinetics of the oxidation of luminol. Does anyone know where I can find some example investigations to have a look at? Even if they are just rates investigations, I'm just trying to get a feel for the layout.
Thanks

You can look on scribd but I can't guarantee they'll be good ones, don't your school let you look at exemplars?

Posted from TSR Mobile
We've started all the background chemistry etc and are starting the 4 weeks of practicals from next monday. I'm doing the decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide using yeast. I'm varying Peroxide Concentration, Yeast Concentration, Temperature and also replacing the yeast with a d-block catalyst (Copper(II) Oxide and Manganese(IV) Oxide). We did some prelims this last week and it was quite temperamental due ti temperature fluctuations between different times of the day, but really I just want to get it over and done with now. Our school has been a bit rubbish with it, they've not given us a lot of support and then wonder why we aren't meeting deadlines.
Thanks Shantellea I will try that! The school showed us one literally the day after I posted on here.
EmmaDalby97, I have the same problem in that the school and giving us much support, I suppose it is meant to be an individual investigation though...
Either way its still very annoying. I've sorted myself out and provided I complete my risk assessment this evening I should be able to really get on with everything tomorrow. Good luck to you all!
Original post by Belle13579
Thanks Shantellea I will try that! The school showed us one literally the day after I posted on here.

Aha no problem☺ my school let us look at them before half term but I didn't understand anything then

Posted from TSR Mobile
We started the actually experiments today and it was the most unorganised, stressful, panic inducing experience of my life. For some reason they put everyone doing peroxide and electrochemistry in one small lab, and the other experiments in another. However, due to the volume of people doing the first two experiments, there was loads of people in the small lab, and about 5 or 6 in the larger lab! A few weeks ago they asked us to turn in lists of chemicals and equipment we would require so that it could be organised and there ready for us. We arrived in the morning and hardly any of the equipment was there. There were no burettes or pipettes, hardly any clamps or stands. Many people had the wrong concentrations, or even the wrong chemicals! I'd understand if we'd given them the lists on friday, but they've had them for a good few weeks, but still nothing was organised! In the 50 minute lesson, only myself and one other person managed to start any experiments because the rest of the lesson was trying to locate equipment which was supposed to be there in the first place! :angry:
Original post by EmmaDalby97
We started the actually experiments today and it was the most unorganised, stressful, panic inducing experience of my life. For some reason they put everyone doing peroxide and electrochemistry in one small lab, and the other experiments in another. However, due to the volume of people doing the first two experiments, there was loads of people in the small lab, and about 5 or 6 in the larger lab! A few weeks ago they asked us to turn in lists of chemicals and equipment we would require so that it could be organised and there ready for us. We arrived in the morning and hardly any of the equipment was there. There were no burettes or pipettes, hardly any clamps or stands. Many people had the wrong concentrations, or even the wrong chemicals! I'd understand if we'd given them the lists on friday, but they've had them for a good few weeks, but still nothing was organised! In the 50 minute lesson, only myself and one other person managed to start any experiments because the rest of the lesson was trying to locate equipment which was supposed to be there in the first place! :angry:

That sounds like so much stress! :frown: I started mine today but my school took us off timetable so we had the whole day to do it, at first mine was going wrong because I had made up the wrong concentration of one of my chemicals but I nearly finished one of my methods by the end of the day, we were told to do the analysis as we go along but its so hard😰

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds like so much stress! :frown: I started mine today but my school took us off timetable so we had the whole day to do it, at first mine was going wrong because I had made up the wrong concentration of one of my chemicals but I nearly finished one of my methods by the end of the day, we were told to do the analysis as we go along but its so hard������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that sounds like a much better way to do it! We turned up today and apparently because people were wasting loads, we used up nearly a quarter of the peroxide we have for 4 weeks in one lesson, and one of the teachers literally said 'if you run out, it's not our fault, and you'll just get a s**t mark', which is ridiculous because we told them how much we'd need and they've ordered about half as much! Everyone is very very pissed off.
Wow, that sounds like a much better way to do it! We turned up today and apparently because people were wasting loads, we used up nearly a quarter of the peroxide we have for 4 weeks in one lesson, and one of the teachers literally said 'if you run out, it's not our fault, and you'll just get a s**t mark', which is ridiculous because we told them how much we'd need and they've ordered about half as much! Everyone is very very pissed off.

Omg that's not fair at all😟 I'd be so angry, if I were you I'd make my own stock solution so you don't run out, that being said we don't actually need good results to get a good mark in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg that's not fair at all������ I'd be so angry, if I were you I'd make my own stock solution so you don't run out, that being said we don't actually need good results to get a good mark in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only problem with the for peroxide is it decomposes really quickly, so it has to kept in a fridge, so they just put the huge stock bottles in there and expect us to use from there each day :/
Yeah, a couple of my friends are doing peroxide and we've just been verifying our results with each other to make sure everyone's is doing the same which is does seem to be which is good, it's just a case of getting it all done in the time (and before we run out of chemicals!)
The only problem with the for peroxide is it decomposes really quickly, so it has to kept in a fridge, so they just put the huge stock bottles in there and expect us to use from there each day :/
Yeah, a couple of my friends are doing peroxide and we've just been verifying our results with each other to make sure everyone's is doing the same which is does seem to be which is good, it's just a case of getting it all done in the time (and before we run out of chemicals!)

Ohh I didn't know that as I'm doing iodine and propanone, we just have to keep going until it's over I'm happy because I got to do the hardest part of my investigation today so it should only get easier from here! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohh I didn't know that as I'm doing iodine and propanone, we just have to keep going until it's over I'm happy because I got to do the hardest part of my investigation today so it should only get easier from here! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do wish i'd chosen another one now! The peroxide experiment is pretty simple and the chemistry is not too complicated, but it just seems like the school has made a bit of a balls up of it!

Quick Reply

Latest