The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GorlimtheUnhappy
so he's going to miss 9 more PL games (ie. a total of 17 games :mad::angry:
and he's missed all our CL games :rolleyes:

:angry::mad:
Footballing gods plzz

Balotelli better find some form in the meantime since Sturridge won't be fit until Jan. :frown:

Also, Hendo picked up a minor hamstring injury this week as well and apparently we have offered Johnson a 2 year contract on half his current wages. God, this season is just going from bad to worse.
Original post by The.Joker
Balotelli better find some form in the meantime since Sturridge won't be fit until Jan. :frown:

Also, Hendo picked up a minor hamstring injury this week as well and apparently we have offered Johnson a 2 year contract on half his current wages. God, this season is just going from bad to worse.

It's nothing to do with Balotelli's form, he just cannot play as a lone striker upfront. The past couple of games he wasn't as bad as the other players on the pitch, he is just ineffective when played upfront alone. Rodgers however seems to be happy with it...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5582
Here's hoping Borini and Kolo start the next game.
Original post by samir12
It's nothing to do with Balotelli's form, he just cannot play as a lone striker upfront. The past couple of games he wasn't as bad as the other players on the pitch, he is just ineffective when played upfront alone. Rodgers however seems to be happy with it...

Then hopefully Rodgers stops playing Balo on his own and pairs him with Borini up front. :mad:
The whole team needs to step it up a notch, otherwise we won't get 4th place. This season has been absolutely crap bar the Tottenham game.

I honestly won't be surprised if the club buys Berahino for £20 million or something crazy like that this Jan...
Metro reports Johnson has rejected the new contract to move to Roma, if true than this certainly brightens up what has been terrible week so far.

Crystal Palace A
Ludogrets A
Stoke H
Leicester A
Sunderland H
Basel H
United A
Bournemouth A
Arsenal H
Burnley A
Swansea H

Not a bad set of fixtures to miss tbh. Unless Arsenal stop being big game bottlers there's only United you have to worry about from that lot really, and we've been far from convincing. The last time Balotelli went to Old Trafford he had arguably the best game of his career.

Can see Bournemouth beating you in the cup though. Not trying to wum or anything, they're a good team and with those fixtures either side of the game, Rodgers is almost certainly going to rest a few players. Has 'cup upset' written all over it.
Original post by sr90
...so I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest here.

I'm was pointing out that youth players can produce good results, like Wilson, hence I fail to see why suggesting that Rodgers uses youth players is clutching at straws, they can hardly do any worse than what we have now.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I'm was pointing out that youth players can produce good results, like Wilson, hence I fail to see why suggesting that Rodgers uses youth players is clutching at straws, they can hardly do any worse than what we have now.

We've promoted Blackett, McNair & Wilson from our academy this season, plus Thorpe and Pereira who've been in a lot of the matchday squads and Lingard who would have featured if he hadn't of got injured on the opening day. That's 6 players. Despite our iffy league form it is wonderful to see Van Gaal sticking to his promise of giving youth a chance. For example 3 months ago nobody would have predicted McNair being anywhere near the first team this season, but he's done really well.

I have no idea what Liverpool's academy is like but there's no harm in giving youth a chance.
Original post by sr90
We've promoted Blackett, McNair & Wilson from our academy this season, plus Thorpe and Pereira who've been in a lot of the matchday squads and Lingard who would have featured if he hadn't of got injured on the opening day. That's 6 players. Despite our iffy league form it is wonderful to see Van Gaal sticking to his promise of giving youth a chance. For example 3 months ago nobody would have predicted McNair being anywhere near the first team this season, but he's done really well.

I have no idea what Liverpool's academy is like but there's no harm in giving youth a chance.

It's happening at Man Utd more out of necessity though. As soon as Man Utd are able to spend again and players come back from injury, they wont get a look in.
Original post by sr90
Crystal Palace A
Ludogrets A
Stoke H
Leicester A
Sunderland H
Basel H
United A
Bournemouth A
Arsenal H
Burnley A
Swansea H

Not a bad set of fixtures to miss tbh. Unless Arsenal stop being big game bottlers there's only United you have to worry about from that lot really, and we've been far from convincing. The last time Balotelli went to Old Trafford he had arguably the best game of his career.

Can see Bournemouth beating you in the cup though. Not trying to wum or anything, they're a good team and with those fixtures either side of the game, Rodgers is almost certainly going to rest a few players. Has 'cup upset' written all over it.

Liverpool have been absolutely terrible this season, looking at the fixture list we should theoretically be winning most of those games. But considering our form of late I have no confidence whatsoever, we don't create many chances and look really toothless at times. The thing is if Sturridge was available he would have boosted the team's morale and he would really bolstered our attack.

I honestly won't be surprised if Bournemouth beat us tbh.
Just a matter of whether any player or two can step up and hit a purple patch.

Said this when the draw was made. Callum Wilson will put Lovren to the sword.
Original post by sr90

Lets be honest, those players were promoted mainly because of injuries to your seniors.

I went to the Middlesbrough and Swansea games so I was going to try to get tickets for this one, though I don't think I can face driving down from Lancashire, seeing us lose and driving back in a night :frown:
Original post by Zerforax
Just a matter of whether any player or two can step up and hit a purple patch.

Realistically though, who do we have that has such ability?
Who do we have that could hit a run of form and consistently make an impact?

Sterling has already had his and I really don't see it happening for Balotelli.
You could say Lallana maybe but how much impact would it have it our strikers were still useless? :/

Last season we took pride in how well e did as a team, how awesome our chemistry was for individual players not at the level of Chelsea's for example.
The issue is that when the chemistry goes, we become highly exposed and the belief just fades away...
Original post by Lúcio
Realistically though, who do we have that has such ability?
Who do we have that could hit a run of form and consistently make an impact?

Sterling has already had his and I really don't see it happening for Balotelli.
You could say Lallana maybe but how much impact would it have it our strikers were still useless? :/

Last season we took pride in how well e did as a team, how awesome our chemistry was for individual players not at the level of Chelsea's for example.
The issue is that when the chemistry goes, we become highly exposed and the belief just fades away...

Could be any player tbh. Just need to get the ball in the net, doesn't need to be any sort of quality.
Lallana is not good enough for Liverpool. He's a decent tidy player and that's it.

Coutinho at his best is better than Lallana. Lallana is quite an average player.
Original post by jam277
Lallana is not good enough for Liverpool. He's a decent tidy player and that's it.

Coutinho at his best is better than Lallana. Lallana is quite an average player.

I quite like Lallana but I do think he'd excel in a side which is performing (rather than lift an underperforming side like a player like Gerrard did in the past).
Original post by Zerforax
I quite like Lallana but I do think he'd excel in a side which is performing (rather than lift an underperforming side like a player like Gerrard did in the past).

Aka he's a passenger and not a matchwinner unless the whole team are doing well.

Yeah great to have when Suarez and Sturridge were the only players capable of winning a game consistently whenever in a period when the rest of the team were playing poor. One is gone and the other is injury prone.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Aka he's a passenger and not a matchwinner unless the whole team are doing well.

Yeah great to have when Suarez and Sturridge were the only players capable of winning a game consistently whenever in a period when the rest of the team were playing poor. One is gone and the other is injury prone.

Nah not saying he's bad as a passenger. I think if others are doing well around him then he'll lift them to an even better level of quality.

Quick Reply

Latest