The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4240
Today my mentor said she'd told one of the classes I teach I was a trainee teacher, she said "they've caught on.." implying how rubbish I was and I was thinking in my head, you could have covered it up or made excuses, now I'm gonna be their new target "how far can I push her, she's not even a real teacher". Then went onto say how boring my lessons were and how I must cater for the highest and lowest ability, make sure they absorb what they're supposed to, learn their names, cater to their personalities, and all the while this must be fun too - I feel like I could jump though fire and it wouldn't be enough.

So downtrodden tbh, feel like im at the lowest of low, i spent my free period crying in the toilets - it's not so much what she said, it's the not caring part "here's your problem, go fix it, don't ask me, i'm too busy but it better be fixed by next time".
Original post by Sam89
Today my mentor said she'd told one of the classes I teach I was a trainee teacher, she said "they've caught on.." implying how rubbish I was and I was thinking in my head, you could have covered it up or made excuses, now I'm gonna be their new target "how far can I push her, she's not even a real teacher". Then went onto say how boring my lessons were and how I must cater for the highest and lowest ability, make sure they absorb what they're supposed to, learn their names, cater to their personalities, and all the while this must be fun too - I feel like I could jump though fire and it wouldn't be enough.

So downtrodden tbh, feel like im at the lowest of low, i spent my free period crying in the toilets - it's not so much what she said, it's the not caring part "here's your problem, go fix it, don't ask me, i'm too busy but it better be fixed by next time".

Talk to someone, there is a difference between constructive criticism and cruel to be kind etc- and undermining your confidence without providing any real support or advice. I started a Degree with QTS when i was 18, and my mentor was exactly like this. I can take criticism and welcome advice for change and honesty; but she was horrible all the time without offering any support. I dropped out instead of talking to someone and i still regret it years on. Are you going a pgce? Talk to someone at uni to see what you can do, i appreciate it is an awkward and horrible situation, but you are still training and deserve better.
Original post by Ratchit99
Thanks guys,, i know its just about making the mistakes and learning as you said, i just feel so rubbish when i screw up a lesson and then feel like the class is super behind! My mentor has offered to go through my lesson plans for my two classes that ive taken over from her on so that we can talk stuff through and get it clear in my head, but everytime this lesson goes wrong (as it seems to every other week for some reason or other) i lose a little more confidence in myself!

I had a really bad start to the day. My USB which contained my lesson plan was corrupted, the school experienced an Internet breakdown and I had a double year 8 on the first two periods. It can't get that bad. Guess what? I actually did much better than I thought. Of course I have things I need to improve on. But, it's my first placement and I'm here to learn my craft.
(edited 9 years ago)
Started placement yesterday in a year 2 class, going pretty well so far though I can't help thinking 'I wouldn't do this if this were my class'. Everyone's pedagogy is different and I think that is half the battle of getting through placement. You have to juggle what you want to do/implement and what is already in place/what the kids get from their 'normal' teacher.

Best of luck everyone! We wouldn't be on the course if they didn't think we could do it, that tends to get me through the week!
Sorry to gatecrash the thread guys but wondered if you might be able to help with my question below...... Thanks

I had an informal interview today with one of the school direct schools I applied to.....

The deputy head that I met informed me that the employment contract runs from September - June (which I was aware of) so that you can start at a new school (if necessary) before the summer). That made sense but since I've come home, I've been having a look on the net and it seems the norm is to give only a 0.7/0.8 fte contract meaning you don't actually get paid the salary that the DofE promote as they don't pay you for your study days?

Can anyone confirm or clarify this? If that's the case then it's about £5k less than what's advertised
Original post by Mr M
My secret informant told me you are fab.

Spoiler

Haha, this did make me laugh. Thank you. :lol:

Fairy i know exactly what you mean, i know we need to learn from our mistakes but most of my feedback is my mistakes not the stuff i do good so im having to think about that myself.

Yeah, it is difficult. Do you have any feedback sheets you can give to your mentor? I gave mine to my mentor for the first time today, and they have boxes on where they list advantages. This means they sort of have to think of something, even if they are grasping.
Original post by Airfairy
Haha, this did make me laugh. Thank you. :lol:

Yeah, it is difficult. Do you have any feedback sheets you can give to your mentor? I gave mine to my mentor for the first time today, and they have boxes on where they list advantages. This means they sort of have to think of something, even if they are grasping.

Ah, no we dont have anything like that, just our official observation forms for when theyre doing a formal observation. I usually sit down with the teacher afterwards and have a quick discussion ( or if its my mentor generally a more in depth discussion) about how the lesson went, what i need to work on, how to deal with specific issues, what they need to progress to next lesson etc
I like your idea though!
Someone remind me why I am putting myself through this again. I feel like dropping out and being a Cover Supervisor. Arrrrgh!
I think the way the observation forms were done on my PGCE was really helpful for making sure you got positive feedback.

The main part of the form was just space for the observer to make notes and say how they related to the teaching standards (by putting T + number in the right-hand column). The idea was that then you had lots of evidence towards the standards. At the bottom they had to do 3 targets so the rest of the form was all positive, even if it meant them listing the basics.

eg:
-Objectives and starter on board at start - T4 (plan and teach well-structured lessons).
-Pupils picked with random name generator to answer questions - T6 (AfL).
-Clear 5-minute time-limit given - T4.
-Extension task provided for more able pupils - T5 (differentiation)
-Teacher uses behaviour system (verbal warning) for a disruptive pupil - T7 (behaviour management).

It could be worth asking your tutor outright if they think you're awful and are going to fail. Obviously if the answer is yes that would be rubbish, but you're better off knowing. And most of the time the answer will be no, they probably just haven't realised how negative they're making you feel. I had this problem on my 2nd placement and they said they were generally very happy with me (ie: I was pretty good for a student teacher, in their opinion) but had just been focusing on what I needed to improve.

Then you could ask them to bullet point examples towards the teacher standards (as above) so that you can use them as evidence for the university. They will be useful when doing your evidence record forms and also get you some more positive feedback.
Original post by camcam88
Someone remind me why I am putting myself through this again. I feel like dropping out and being a Cover Supervisor. Arrrrgh!

What is a cover supervisor and why does everyone always refer to that as their back up plan? We have a woman who deals with cover in our school but she's a teacher too so a PGCE is still needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
What is a cover supervisor and why does everyone always refer to that as their back up plan? We have a woman who deals with cover in our school but she's a teacher too so a PGCE is still needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, cover supervisors do not have to be qualified teachers (as they are paid much less, more like a TA). In fact, there are no real qualification requirements all though many CSs are graduates gaining experience before applying for a PGCE.

In my school none of the CSs are qualified teachers, they have mostly worked as TAs in the school or supported with behaviour for a while and have then moved on to covering lessons.

The difference is that you are not expected to plan lessons or have the subject knowledge to deliver them, you just supervise pupils to complete work set by the absent teacher and help as best you can.

I was a cover supervisor (day-to-day agency work) before my PGCE and it's a tough job although I imagine it gets easier if you manage to get a permanent job in a school as the pupils get to know you and not just see you as this random outsider who doesn't know how their school works.
Reply 4251
Original post by RachelFiveee
Talk to someone, there is a difference between constructive criticism and cruel to be kind etc- and undermining your confidence without providing any real support or advice. I started a Degree with QTS when i was 18, and my mentor was exactly like this. I can take criticism and welcome advice for change and honesty; but she was horrible all the time without offering any support. I dropped out instead of talking to someone and i still regret it years on. Are you going a pgce? Talk to someone at uni to see what you can do, i appreciate it is an awkward and horrible situation, but you are still training and deserve better.

I think I will speak to my tutor at uni, I can't carry on crying through the days, getting virtually no sleep through the night and waking up in panic attacks. But then I'm also thinking will it cause more harm than good? Should I suck it up for the next 8 or so weeks...? Hmm

I keep thinking to myself, if I ever ever have the opportunity to mentor a trainee teacher - I wouldn't make them feel so low and like a third wheel, I wouldn't ignore their existence and I wouldn't undermine their authority in front of the students - isn't that all common courtesy and common sense though?

I see my mentor being ever so nice to those who can do 'stuff' for her and are in higher positions - but if you can't offer her anything, you don't exist in her world.
Original post by Sam89
I think I will speak to my tutor at uni, I can't carry on crying through the days, getting virtually no sleep through the night and waking up in panic attacks. But then I'm also thinking will it cause more harm than good? Should I suck it up for the next 8 or so weeks...? Hmm

I keep thinking to myself, if I ever ever have the opportunity to mentor a trainee teacher - I wouldn't make them feel so low and like a third wheel, I wouldn't ignore their existence and I wouldn't undermine their authority in front of the students - isn't that all common courtesy and common sense though?

I see my mentor being ever so nice to those who can do 'stuff' for her and are in higher positions - but if you can't offer her anything, you don't exist in her world.

Talk to the person at UNI. They want you to pass, it looks really **** on them if they have failing teachers. They should and will do everything they can to help you in the situation you're in.
Original post by Peachz
Talk to the person at UNI. They want you to pass, it looks really **** on them if they have failing teachers. They should and will do everything they can to help you in the situation you're in.

Very much so. When I was a subject mentor, there was only one student who the Central mentor and I both felt should fail, because frankly she was a danger to children and unlikely on the evidence to learn from her (pretty serious) mistakes, but the university was having none of it. We didn't win.
I've still not started my placement and I have a feeling I'm not going to as I've tried to contact my mentor loads of times and she hasn't got back to me. Ive been having problems with my laptop this week so I haven't been able to get as much work done as I hoped to and I got two assignments due in little under two weeks...

I'm wondering if I should take this as a sign I should give up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
I've still not started my placement and I have a feeling I'm not going to as I've tried to contact my mentor loads of times and she hasn't got back to me. Ive been having problems with my laptop this week so I haven't been able to get as much work done as I hoped to and I got two assignments due in little under two weeks...

I'm wondering if I should take this as a sign I should give up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont give up! Have you contacted your university and told them theres an issue? Not just your subject mentor but the actual admin department for teaching at your uni?

Ive had a real day of ups and downs today. The lesson i was terrified about this morning (a y10 python programming lesson) was apparently really good and the teacher who observes me said if i was happy for her to do it, shed right it up for one of my official observations, so woop for that!
The observation i knew was coming went worse than i expected, the class are horrible anyway, but i was meant to start them off on their coursework write up. When they came in some of the boys were just really disruptive and wouldnt settle, i decided to change plan and get the majority continuing to work on their images while i talked specifically to a few good girls who were at that point and get them rolling. I just felt that if i went through the coursework write up with the group i would have just been talking at them as opposed to them taking in what i wanted them to do and the lesson wouldnt have been very productive at all. Sigh, just have to face the music tomorrow with that teacher and explain my thinking!
Dont give up! Have you contacted your university and told them theres an issue? Not just your subject mentor but the actual admin department for teaching at your uni?

Ive had a real day of ups and downs today. The lesson i was terrified about this morning (a y10 python programming lesson) was apparently really good and the teacher who observes me said if i was happy for her to do it, shed right it up for one of my official observations, so woop for that!
The observation i knew was coming went worse than i expected, the class are horrible anyway, but i was meant to start them off on their coursework write up. When they came in some of the boys were just really disruptive and wouldnt settle, i decided to change plan and get the majority continuing to work on their images while i talked specifically to a few good girls who were at that point and get them rolling. I just felt that if i went through the coursework write up with the group i would have just been talking at them as opposed to them taking in what i wanted them to do and the lesson wouldnt have been very productive at all. Sigh, just have to face the music tomorrow with that teacher and explain my thinking!

No I haven't, I'm not the only one in my class who has been having problems with their placement. Well done on your lesson :smile: Im meant to be taking a GCSE class just as a sub in a few weeks, Im a bit scared!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Itll be fine, i find the ks4 classes far easier than ks3 as theyre (for the most part) more amenable to learning! I find that if i talk to them like adults they respond really well, especially my y10 computer science guys
Itll be fine, i find the ks4 classes far easier than ks3 as theyre (for the most part) more amenable to learning! I find that if i talk to them like adults they respond really well, especially my y10 computer science guys

I'm doing an FE GCSE so the class I'll be teaching are a bit older; 16 to 19.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
I'm doing an FE GCSE so the class I'll be teaching are a bit older; 16 to 19.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, even easier id imagine once you get to that point. I would think the kids you do teach actually want to be studying your subject :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending