The Student Room Group

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Typical femaleness. :rolleyes: What are you even saying? Capitalist economy could mean almost anything. Capitalism in some form or other exists everywhere, including places where it is entirely normal for people to starve to death.

I'm sure your inane statement fills this guy's tummy.

Yeah I ignored his post because it was ridiculous.
Original post by SophieSmall
Yeah I ignored his post because it was ridiculous.

Oops. It's a good thing you quoted me as just realized I accidentally typed "typical femaleness" instead of "typical felamaslen" .Woopsy.

Dam auto correct making me look bad :mad:

Also I agree with your costa stuff. I really hate eating out as one meal can cost half the price (and that's just like a cheap cafe, never mind some fancy restaurant) of the weekly food shop!
(edited 9 years ago)
Oops. It's a good thing you quoted me as just realized I accidentally typed "typical femaleness" instead of "typical felamaslen" .Woopsy.

Dam auto correct making me look bad :mad:

Also I agree with your costa stuff. I really hate eating out as one meal can cost half the price (and that's just like a cheap cafe, never mind some fancy restaurant) of the weekly food shop!

It's okay I knew what you meant :tongue:

Aye I know, a coffee and a slice of cake in costa racks up about the same is it would cost me for my weekly food shop. Utterly ridiculous.
It's okay I knew what you meant :tongue:

Aye I know, a coffee and a slice of cake in costa racks up about the same is it would cost me for my weekly food shop. Utterly ridiculous.

Don't women just hate the poor :colondollar: :tongue:

But then you look anti social when you turn it down :frown:

Something else I do is bring my own drink in a water bottle rather than buy a drink when buying food from a restaurant or fast food thing :tongue:

I'm such a tight git lol
Don't women just hate the poor :colondollar: :tongue:

But then you look anti social when you turn it down :frown:

Something else I do is bring my own drink in a water bottle rather than buy a drink when buying food from a restaurant or fast food thing :tongue:

I'm such a tight git lol

Why would we hate the poor? :frown:

I'll usually just get ice water.
Why would we hate the poor? :frown:

I'm 90% sure you are playing along but just in case... I'm joking :tongue:
I'm 90% sure you are playing along but just in case... I'm joking :tongue:

I'm a bit slow :tongue:

What does the speed at with you run at have any relevance to what you were talking about?

Wait... So you thought I was being serious? :confused:

If so I need to stick disclaimers whenever I am being sarcastic or ironic. The things I have said :eek:
Wait... So you thought I was being serious? :confused:

If so I need to stick disclaimers whenever I am being sarcastic or ironic. The things I have said :eek:

I have no idea D:
I have no idea D:

:facepalm:

I'm worried now that that is the sort of thing people think I would say/ think :erm:
Typical felamaslen. :rolleyes: What are you even saying? Capitalist economy could mean almost anything. Capitalism in some form or other exists everywhere, including places where it is entirely normal for people to starve to death.

I'm sure your inane statement fills this guy's tummy.

On average, people are far better off in 21st century capitalist economies than in any other point in world history.

What you lack is perspective.
Original post by felamaslen

On average, people are far better off in 21st century capitalist economies than in any other point in world history.

What you lack is perspective.

That's rich.

Your inane statement implied no one could possibly be poor (relative or real poverty) in a 21st century capitalist society which is a moronic statement. Nor does it address the mental impact of fealing like you are at the bottom of the pecking order.

I could go on and compare western capitalist societies to developing countries, the ones that have super powers breathing down their neck, the ones that are breaking free form said super powers, the ones that when through a period of social democracy to curtail the negative aspects of capitalism. The ones that have massive wealth and massive real poverty just a few mile away from then wealth. The fact you haven't addressed what you actually mean by "capitalist society" since that can mean so much and there is such a wide variety of possible societies that could be described as such. But it would be all be pointless and annoying since it is impossible to engage in any level of debate beyond "capitalism is good communism is evil" with you.

You are now back on my ignore filter. :hi:
(edited 9 years ago)
That's rich.

Your inane statement implied no one could possibly be poor (relative or real poverty) in a 21st century capitalist society which is a moronic statement. Nor does it address the mental impact of fealing like you are at the bottom of the pecking order.

I could go on and compare western capitalist societies to developing countries, the ones that have super powers breathing down their neck, the ones that are breaking free form said super powers, the ones that when through a period of social democracy to curtail the negative aspects of capitalism. The ones that have massive wealth and massive real poverty just a few mile away from then wealth. The fact you haven't addressed what you actually mean by "capitalist society" since that can mean so much and there is such a wide variety of possible societies that could be described as such. But it would be all be pointless and annoying since it is impossible to engage in any level of debate beyond "capitalism is good communism is evil" with you.

You are now back on my ignore filter. :hi:

I should have been clearer. I was talking about capitalist liberal democracies (so Saudi Arabia not included), and I do think it is possible to be poor in these. But it is very easy to become rich, in relative terms. Much easier than at any point in human history.

The problem with the "developing countries" is their lack of freedom, nothing else. Poverty has nothing to do with the capitalist liberal democracies "breathing down their neck[s]"; it has everything to do with lack of democracy and lack of capitalism in said countries.

But I do admit that I was unclear; it is possible for a nominally capitalist society to be unfree in other ways.

Do you not like engaging in debate with people who disagree with you? I don't mind debating you, even though I strongly disagree with you.
[QUOTE="felamaslen;51714357"]I should have been clearer. I was talking about capitalist liberal democracies (so Saudi Arabia not included), and I do think it is possible to be poor in these. But it is very easy to become rich, in relative terms. Much easier than at any point in human history.

The problem with the "developing countries" is their lack of freedom, nothing else. Poverty has nothing to do with the capitalist liberal democracies "breathing down their neck:";:

What's that? I can't here you!

I did not read. :cool:
What's that? I can't here you!

I did not read. :cool:

Useless :smile:
I should have been clearer. I was talking about capitalist liberal democracies (so Saudi Arabia not included), and I do think it is possible to be poor in these. But it is very easy to become rich, in relative terms. Much easier than at any point in human history.

The problem with the "developing countries" is their lack of freedom, nothing else. Poverty has nothing to do with the capitalist liberal democracies "breathing down their neck:undefined:"; it has everything to do with lack of democracy and lack of capitalism in said countries.

But I do admit that I was unclear; it is possible for a nominally capitalist society to be unfree in other ways.

Do you not like engaging in debate with people who disagree with you? I don't mind debating you, even though I strongly disagree with you.

This is in the chat forum, not the debate forum. A very simple question was asked and you just decided to be a knob. Have a good day.
This is in the chat forum, not the debate forum. A very simple question was asked and you just decided to be a knob. Have a good day.

Which post are you talking about, exactly? I answered the OP's question as honestly as I could.
Which post are you talking about, exactly? I answered the OP's question as honestly as I could.

Bull****. You wrote a stupid comment and you know it.
Bull****. You wrote a stupid comment and you know it.

Not really, but I won't push the point any further because you don't seem to be in the best of moods right now.

Quick Reply

Latest