The Student Room Group

Classical civilisation or English

So far I have chosen biology,chemistry and maths.For my 4th option I want to do classics or English but idk which one , I am leaning towards classics because of the less workload and it looks more interesting.

btw I want to do medicine in university , hopefully

Scroll to see replies

If you feel that you would be more interested in Classics, then go for it as you will enjoy it more and probably get better results in it :smile:
Classics all the way, much more interesting
Bump
Bump
Do classics if you think it's more interesting. :smile:
Both are respected subjects, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobbieShamrock
Do classics if you think it's more interesting. :smile:
Both are respected subjects, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I don't know what the workload will be like

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Humzaawan123
But I don't know what the workload will be like

Posted from TSR Mobile

Classics has a lower workload.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobbieShamrock
Classics has a lower workload.

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you think it will be hard since i never did it at GCSE , and also apparently we have to memorise parts of the text and my memory isn't great. And i heard it is pretty hard to remember all the names, is this true ?
Original post by Humzaawan123
do you think it will be hard since i never did it at GCSE , and also apparently we have to memorise parts of the text and my memory isn't great. And I heard it is pretty hard to remember all the names, is this true ?

I didn't even know you could do it at GCSE! I didn't do History at GCSE and am doing fine at History A level, which is comparable to Classics. So yeah that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't take Classics, I just know a lot of people who take both classics and English lit and last year they all got higher grades in Classics with less work (they also enjoyed it more, I know no one who enjoys English lol)
Also I was under the impression that you had to learn texts in English as well...
bump
It's your 4th subject, so just choose something easy and enjoyable.
bump
I did A Level Classic Civ. and I loved it, it is tricky purely because there is a lot to remember though. There may not be coursework but I'd say the workload is equal because Classics requires a lot of revision.
Original post by inthechaos
I did A Level Classic Civ. and I loved it, it is tricky purely because there is a lot to remember though. There may not be coursework but I'd say the workload is equal because Classics requires a lot of revision.

Thank you , do you remember what modules you did ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest