The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by intheTSRspirit
Are you serious? I think you're very ignorant if you truly believe that, especially when our Prime Minister rebuked so-called 'terrorists' and blamed the deaths on them while the Israeli army ravaged Gaza, uttering not a word against the latter, the latter being their close pals. This discussion is way out of your league; go educate yourself and then come back and try again

Western Europe expands beyond GB.
'BBC not showing any images of 'palestinians' celebrating murders' thread merged with Israel/Palestine Conflict megathread.
Original post by felamaslen
The trouble is, Hamas run the Gaza strip, and were elected into power there. That is a root cause. There can never be peace if the people don't support peace. There can never be freedom if the people don't support freedom. Peace and freedom are the two main enemies of Hamas.

The whole issue boils down to this, and some of the people will never support peace until Israel ends its oppression of the Palestinian people, and abides by its obligations to human rights, justice and freedom.

There was plenty of time for Israel to end its oppression of the Palestinian people before 2006. They did not do so. Thus, Hamas's running of the Gaza Strip is most certainly not a root cause, and is rather an effect of driving people to desperation and hopelessness.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by james22
It's making the point that the deathds in Israel are a natural consequence of war, and not Israel trying to deliberately kill palestinians as a lot of people claim.

wow. you could not be further from the truth right now.
the 'claim' that israel deliberately kill Palestinians IS the cold harsh truth. there is nothing in the world that can argue against that, nothing - end of.
Original post by james22
It's making the point that the deathds in Israel are a natural consequence of war, and not Israel trying to deliberately kill palestinians as a lot of people claim.

You sure about that?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=49331615
Reply 6085
Original post by sarsoora
the 'claim' that israel deliberately kill Palestinians IS the cold harsh truth. there is nothing in the world that can argue against that, nothing - end of.

They deliberately kill terrorists. To claim they deliberately genocide civilians is completely untrue. It's simply not in their interests to do so. Israel could wipe out Gaza and the West Bank in a matter of days militarily if that was their objective.
Original post by sarsoora

Can you provide any evidence of that? If Israel wanted to kill Palestinians tehre would be a lot more dead. The numbers killed right now compared to hostiles killed is typical for war. If there was deliberate targeting of civilians it would be higher.
Original post by viddy9
The whole issue boils down to this, and some of the people will never support peace until Israel ends its oppression of the Palestinian people, and abides by its obligations to human rights, justice and freedom.

There was plenty of time for Israel to end its oppression of the Palestinian people before 2006. They did not do so. Thus, Hamas's running of the Gaza Strip is most certainly not a root cause, and is rather an effect of driving people to desperation and hopelessness.

In that case, why are the surrounding countries unfree? They were never "oppressed" by Israel.

The surrounding countries are unfree because the people don't believe in freedom.
Where on earth do you get the idea that vengeance is emphasised so much as all that in the 'Islamic religious mindset'? How facile a generalisation is that

Are you serious? It's a fact. Read the Qu'ran, listen to news interviews, take a general interest in different cultures and religions and you will form the same conclusion.

And you suppose the recent escalation in settler attacks on Palestinians plays no significant part in this attack, yes?

Why would you say that if you read my post? I suppose nothing of the sort, but you will agree surely that such an appalling murder spree should be outrightly condemned in itself? Instead of perhaps thinking, 'serves them bloody right' or 'they deserve it' bla bla bla. They were innocent people praying in a church and two Muslims decide to go in and hachet them up. Everyone knows it is a long bitter saga of conflict and tit for tat with juxtaposed views but if you can't begin by condemning this latest outrage against these Jewish victims then you are part of the problem.

I
Israeli is exerting exactly ZERO efforts towards achievement of peace.

They've tried and tried and tried but there is an unwillingness on Palestine's part towards reasonable compromise with Israel. All Hamas do is fuel the fires of hatred towards the Israeli people. It's they who don't want peace. It's not in their mandate. They want an end to Israel. But you seem to place all the blame on Israel, those poor oppressed Palestinians and that one-sided, unhelpful stuff.

This attack was a direct result of relentless Israeli aggression.

The synagogue murders are an apt and lucid illustration of the Islamic notion of justified Vengeance at it's most vile.
Original post by Marco1

The synagogue murders are an apt and lucid illustration of the Islamic notion of justified Vengeance at it's most vile.

The Synagogue attacks were carried out by the PFLP, who aren't an Islamic group.
Original post by anarchism101
The Synagogue attacks were carried out by the PFLP, who aren't an Islamic group.

They're the "Popular Front" aren't they? I heard they a bunch of splitters.
Original post by anarchism101

Point taken. After looking them up, the PFLP seem more politically motivated.
Original post by Marco1
Are you serious? It's a fact. Read the Qu'ran, listen to news interviews, take a general interest in different cultures and religions and you will form the same conclusion.

As it happens, you're speaking of my 'culture'. I can speak the Arabic language and I was raised a Muslim and I can assure you that there is no special emphasis on revenge in Islam or the Quran.
Be that as it may, it is an undeniable fact that it is Netanyahu who is for ever calling for vengeance. He killed the two attackers but that wasn't enough for him: he also arrested their family members and bulldozed their homes. He's now seeking to ease gun restrictions in Israel. He's publicly vowing that people who commit such acts will pay a heavy price. Are you blind?

Also: 'listen to news interviews' - lol.

Why would you say that if you read my post? I suppose nothing of the sort, but you will agree surely that such an appalling murder spree should be outrightly condemned in itself? Instead of perhaps thinking, 'serves them bloody right' or 'they deserve it' bla bla bla. They were innocent people praying in a church and two Muslims decide to go in and hachet them up. Everyone knows it is a long bitter saga of conflict and tit for tat with juxtaposed views but if you can't begin by condemning this latest outrage against these Jewish victims then you are part of the problem.

They were not just 'two Muslims', they were more than that. They were Palestinian Muslims living under oppression and occupation, and they were desperate. If all was fine and dandy for them they would never have resorted to such an act of violence.
I certainly do not think that such an act of violence should be 'outrightly condemned in itself' whatever that means, especially in light of the conspiracy of silence surrounding similar and much more numerous acts of violence against Palestinians. On Friday Israeli police shot two young Palestinians, 10 and 11 years respectively. This week and last week Israeli police have kidnapped tens of Palestinians, which really represents business as usual for them anyway. Media coverage of those events was exactly zilch. I will not be selective in my condemnation nor will I endorse such selectivity. The Jews who were killed in the synagogue were not just 'Jews', they were British and American citizens. I will not sympathise with them. Fancy wantonly sitting on top of a live volcano and expecting no explosion.

They've tried and tried and tried but there is an unwillingness on Palestine's part towards reasonable compromise with Israel. All Hamas do is fuel the fires of hatred towards the Israeli people. It's they who don't want peace. It's not in their mandate. They want an end to Israel. But you seem to place all the blame on Israel, those poor oppressed Palestinians and that one-sided, unhelpful stuff.

Oh, yes, they've tried and tried to wipe out the Palestinians of the West Bank, refusing the yield Palestinian land under International Law, building homes for settlers and demolishing Palestinian homes. What fantastic ignorance you do display.
Original post by felamaslen
In that case, why are the surrounding countries unfree? They were never "oppressed" by Israel.

The surrounding countries are unfree because the people don't believe in freedom.

It's illogical to extrapolate from other countries - the Palestinians have held elections and their current President is a secularist. In the Gaza Strip, Hamas were elected, but considering how close the election was, the logical explanation is not that they don't want freedom, but rather that they've been driven to desperation.

And, in many cases in the Middle East, dictatorships have been actively supported by Israel and its allies, most prominently the United States. In Iran, the democratically elected leader was overthrown by Britain and the United States in 1953, leading to 23 years of a brutal dictator followed by a backlash leading to today's leadership. In Egypt, we supported Hosni Mubarak, and when a leader was democratically elected, he was overthrown in a move supported by Israel and the United States, leading to this dictatorship again. In Iraq, we supported the regime of Saddam Hussein, and supported military coups in that country earlier as well. In Tunisia, we supported Ben-Ali until the people managed to overthrow him and they've recently held a democratic election.

So, yet again, not a very good reason for refusing to end the oppression of the Palestinian people.
(edited 9 years ago)
As it happens, you're speaking of my 'culture'. I can speak the Arabic language and I was raised a Muslim and I can assure you that there is no special emphasis on revenge in Islam or the Quran.

Does that signify an objective opinion then?

Be that as it may, it is an undeniable fact that it is Netanyahu who is for ever calling for vengeance. He killed the two attackers but that wasn't enough for him: he also arrested their family members and bulldozed their homes. He's now seeking to ease gun restrictions in Israel. He's publicly vowing that people who commit such acts will pay a heavy price. Are you blind?

No, my eyesight is fine thanks. Netanyahu is hardcore old school sure, hewn from bitter experience no doubt. The Israelis tolerate no crap without punitive action. They are an island in a sea of ill will. My point was vengeance is part of the Islam way. It is condoned and even sanctified, as it were, in certain instances. In Christianity, Vengeance per se, is never ever a justification of bloodshed. This is because vengeance as a notion is an animal instinct, not a reasonable action, certainly no human virtue.

They were not just 'two Muslims', they were more than that. They were Palestinian Muslims living under oppression and occupation, and they were desperate. If all was fine and dandy for them they would never have resorted to such an act of violence.

Right, so you are justifying what they did. That is disappointing.

I certainly do not think that such an act of violence should be 'outrightly condemned in itself' whatever that means

In itself means taken on its own, as one incident - without recourse to other incidents of the past. It was a disgusting cowardly merciless attack. Admit it!
Original post by Marco1
Does that signify an objective opinion then?

No, my eyesight is fine thanks. Netanyahu is hardcore old school sure, hewn from bitter experience no doubt. The Israelis tolerate no crap without punitive action. They are an island in a sea of ill will. My point was vengeance is part of the Islam way. It is condoned and even sanctified, as it were, in certain instances. In Christianity, Vengeance per se, is never ever a justification of bloodshed. This is because vengeance as a notion is an animal instinct, not a reasonable action, certainly no human virtue.

I'm not going to reply to any future posts of yours reiterating a sad old conviction with no substantiation at all. You told me to 'read the Quran and take an interest in cultures' in order to arrive at the conclusion that Islam sanctifies vengeance. I told you that I have and indeed I am part of these 'cultures' that you referred me to, and you find that unsatisfactory. And I am supposed to believe at once your claim that Christianity never justifies vengeance per se. If you have any evidence to back what you say about 'the Islam way' (gosh, do you realise how uneducated you come across?) by all means do present it. Until you do, I will stick with the facts that I am aware of and which run thus: that though Islam may have a number of Achilles Heels, a sanctification of vengeance certainly is not one of them.

Right, so you are justifying what they did. That is disappointing.

In itself means taken on its own, as one incident - without recourse to other incidents of the past. It was a disgusting cowardly merciless attack. Admit it!

I will take all incidents that occur in context of the wider picture and keep to a sense of perspective, thank you very much.
And oh dear, saying things such as 'Israelis are surrounded by ill will' when the only internationally recognised state in the Middle East upholding the only occupation on the fact of the earth and the only recognised state to be granted full impunity when butchering its neighbours in Gaza to death is Israeli itself is nonsensical gob; all of that only discredits your non-arguments all the more.
I'm not going to reply to any future posts of yours reiterating a sad old conviction with no substantiation at all. You told me to 'read the Quran and take an interest in cultures' in order to arrive at the conclusion that Islam sanctifies vengeance. I told you that I have and indeed I am part of these 'cultures' that you referred me to, and you find that unsatisfactory. And I am supposed to believe at once your claim that Christianity never justifies vengeance per se. If you have any evidence to back what you say about 'the Islam way' (gosh, do you realise how uneducated you come across?) by all means do present it. Until you do, I will stick with the facts that I am aware of and which run thus: that though Islam may have a number of Achilles Heels, a sanctification of vengeance certainly is not one of them.

I will take all incidents that occur in context of the wider picture and keep to a sense of perspective, thank you very much.
And oh dear, saying things such as 'Israelis are surrounded by ill will' when the only internationally recognised state in the Middle East upholding the only occupation on the fact of the earth and the only recognised state to be granted full impunity when butchering its neighbours in Gaza to death is Israeli itself is nonsensical gob; all of that only discredits your non-arguments all the more.

preach.
Original post by james22
Can you provide any evidence of that? If Israel wanted to kill Palestinians tehre would be a lot more dead. The numbers killed right now compared to hostiles killed is typical for war. If there was deliberate targeting of civilians it would be higher.

the recent summer conflicts - when Palestinian death toll reached 2000 in the space of just over a month, when the israeli death tolls barely made 100. are you seriously telling me that repeated bombs and airstrikes at homes, UN schools, camps, markets, hospitals etc is not deliberate? don't you dare try and say it is typical of war when war should not involve innocent civilians in the first place - it is never okay. your attempts to justify israel's war crimes and disgusting acts over the past 10 years are fickle, pathetic and sickening - dont reply to me again.

if you want more evidence search for it yourself with a bloody open mind that is willing to look past the media's blatant propaganda, you'll easily find loads. the evidence of israel's crimes have always been available.
Original post by viddy9
It's illogical to extrapolate from other countries - the Palestinians have held elections and their current President is a secularist. In the Gaza Strip, Hamas were elected, but considering how close the election was, the logical explanation is not that they don't want freedom, but rather that they've been driven to desperation.

And, in many cases in the Middle East, dictatorships have been actively supported by Israel and its allies, most prominently the United States. In Iran, the democratically elected leader was overthrown by Britain and the United States in 1953, leading to 23 years of a brutal dictator followed by a backlash leading to today's leadership. In Egypt, we supported Hosni Mubarak, and when a leader was democratically elected, he was overthrown in a move supported by Israel and the United States, leading to this dictatorship again. In Iraq, we supported the regime of Saddam Hussein, and supported military coups in that country earlier as well. In Tunisia, we supported Ben-Ali until the people managed to overthrow him and they've recently held a democratic election.

So, yet again, not a very good reason for refusing to end the oppression of the Palestinian people.

Palestinian elections were not free, fair or regular. Yasser Arafat stayed in power for decades. He was an awful man and the enemy of any advocate of any two state solution. The current wolf in sheep's clothing in the West Bank is "secularist" but not secularist enough to refuse to govern with a bunch of religious totalitarians. It is perfectly logical to assume that since none of the surrounding Arab states are free, a Palestinian Arab state would not be free either. There is something deeply wrong with Arab culture which prevents a free society from functioning. We've seen that in Egypt, in Palestine, in Iraq and everywhere else where democracy has been attempted. (It is a cultural problem, not a genetic one.)

The Shah in Iran was nowhere near as bad as the Ayatollah. Iran in the 70s was bliss compared to now. The decision to overthrow Mossadegh might not have been the wisest, but it wasn't done in order to create the disgusting tyranny that currently exists - that is firmly the responsibility of those who supported the revolting 1979 revolution.

You mention Iraq, but fail to mention that when Saddam was overthrown (by the West), more tyranny erupted. Clearly the people there don't believe in freedom, otherwise they would have chosen it.

Similar stories throughout.
Israel is the only country in the world that pays students to propagrate myths online.

Original post by young_guns
Utter nonsense. In the late 1940s, the UN voted to make the Jewish majority areas in the Palestine mandate a Jewish state. How exactly is that unreasonable? That Jewish majority areas shall be ruled according to the democratic will of that majority?

Does the UN own Palestine? Did it ever?

Only the UN security council **** is binding.

What if the UN vote to make Muslim majority areas in Britain into an Islamic State? Utter hypocrisy here. Hey give democracy and self - determination to these areas huh?

What about the UN's plan to internationalise Jerusalem? What about the hundreds or so UN resolutions Israel has broken? What about illegal settlements?

I believe that any settler or squatter who lives in Palestinian owned land whether armed or not is a legitimate target. They are criminals and international law breakers.

International law allows a nation under military occupation to defend and reconquer their rights using violence.

In response to that, the Arabs commenced a war of annihilation against the Jews in Israel, and they lost. Following that, millions of Jews were expelled from the middle eastern countries and fled to Israel, which is why a majority of Israeli Jews are descended from middle Eastern Jews.

Less than 2/3 of the population of Israel has Jewish fore fathers and only a minority are Judaism by faith and religion and that too after occupation. What if Britain calls itself a "White Christian" nation? What if Muslim majority areas declare independance through a referendum? You're right. They'll be driven to the sea.

Israel was founded through terrorism. The military occupation should be resisted by violence. Israel is the most dangerous country for a Jew to live in and was throughout recent history. Still Jews from all over the world come to share the blame.

So you don't believe in the right to self-determination? You believe, for example, the Scots should be forced to be part of the UK?

What about the Palestinians? When has Israel recognised their right to self-determination?

"Jewish people" have said it? Like, all Jewish people?

Give us a citation. Who said it, and when? IF you think Jews were happy being dhimmi, then you are sadly ignorant of history

The only Jewish cultural Golden Age after the destruction of their Temple was in Islamic Spain. Jews have lived with Muslims way better than they have ever lived with Christians.

Its Zionism that destroyed the peace.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending