The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
That's incredible. It just goes to show how diverse a law degree is! Well, I wish you well with it all. Hope it does become a reality for you soon enough.
I'm a first year Law Undergrad so I guess you should know now that I'll be coming to you with any questions regarding the degree! What classification did you finish with? Was it difficult to achieve this?

I got a 2.1. I was not academically great, but I achieved it quite comfortably. It's just like school imo, if you listen well and do your homework you can get a 2.1. As for a first? I am not perhaps the best person to answer that.
money is the motive for me, wouldn't mind selling my soul for the moolah temporarily. Need to get them internships on lock for the summer/spring though, even if just to make some contacts for shadowing opportunities, annoying that most are aimed at penultimate year students but I guess it makes sense. If all else fails I'll just have to boss off my first year to put me in good stead for next year, also it would mean I get to hit Tommorowland and Bestival.
Amazon is amazing for electronics, customer service is top notch. Something I bought broke 4 months after I bought it and they replaced it no questions asked, didn't even take the old item back I kept both.

I wholeheartedly recommend them over pretty much anywhere else.

As for consoles I'm a PC or Xbox guy. PC>Console though.
(edited 9 years ago)
I never understand how people can be so comfortable with buying electronics online let alone eBay! I'd be so scared about what I would do if it stopped working or something like that. I've still got the fat ps3, think I might switch over to an Xbox One... know anything about Xboxes? Been a PlayStation type of gal since I can remember :tongue:

This is why I need to finish with a 2:1 or higher, I want to get into an even better institution for my postgrad studies.

I get you Ebora, you'll do great :h: A master in politics!

I'd just buy anything from Amazon now. My bro bought a Wii U and it's fine. I'm a flipflopper on consoles, I was a PS2 man, then a 360 man, will go back to Playstation next.

Yeah I'd love it. My old man is an academic actually and he loves his job, I quite fancy it.

Original post by Tom_Ford
I would prefer being Don Draper these days aha. :lol:
Yes, did the work experience myself, both with barristers and commercial solicitors, did not really enjoy it. Yes, I made a mistake re status too, it was what the college and parents pushed me towards. I was too young to know what I wanted to do with the rest of my life but figured it would be a good degree to take.

And I want to do postgrad one day too, but I want to save up money and experiences for it. I have a big desire to do the Oxford MBA one day, and finally settle all academic scores with peers once and for all with an Oxbridge degree. But, that is some way down the line yet. Self made money first.

I am making sacrifices to my life such as living with parents (although I am happy with them) and commuting to work. But, I will do what I have to do. I don't have much money myself, but I have never been in debt and I don't use credit cards/borrow money. And that is very important as a start to our lives, credit cards and the like are a bad road to go down. Living above ones means is a bad road to go down. Once you become accustomed to certain luxuries you find that it is like an addiction. You need to work like a slave to maintain that lifestyle and you are still the same slave to money as the rest of the working people.
I like the simple things in life, same with my best mate when I was in uni and his family. Eton educated, first class in Economics and working at JP Morgan as a grad. But, his family still shop at Aldi, Primark and the likes. I learnt a lot about how to live from that guy, and my own family. Money in itself I don't find a need to use much, I have everything I want materially and I am not a big spender. I just want to prove myself though, that is what I think money will give me. It's a measurement of one's achievement. I also believe in making money work for me, and not me working for money. I want to be truly free out of my own doing, if that makes sense.

And yes, the waiters will all be dressed in Tom Ford suits :smile: .

Awesome man. Yeah it's weird, most of the law people I know did other degrees and then went into it after. Funny how life works out sometimes!

That's the thing about Oxbridge, it's just that knowledge that you are kingpin. I think for me I'm going to try and do Masters in London and if it goes well apply for DPhil at Oxbridge. I'd love it. Just tonight my bro applied for Masters at Balliol, looking through the list of alumni it's just incredible. If I'm honest I just don't work hard enough, I got mid 2:1s in my first two years, which is fine, but getting into Oxbridge settles all scores for me, you're right.

Don Draper. What a dude. Loved that Megan girl he was dating. She was hot stuff. I've only ever seen Series 5 :colondollar:

You want a government that lives within it's means and an individual that does the same. I find it bizarre the way people pay for holidays or sofas on credit cards. I think the only things I'd ever borrow for is a house, and obviously education.
Don't post your votes in here guys its supposed to be private :tongue:

Gonna start it next week I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
oops.. my bad..

Will change a few around to make it a secret again :biggrin:
Let us know when it's time to vote, thanks :redface:
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
money is the motive for me, wouldn't mind selling my soul for the moolah temporarily. Need to get them internships on lock for the summer/spring though, even if just to make some contacts for shadowing opportunities, annoying that most are aimed at penultimate year students but I guess it makes sense. If all else fails I'll just have to boss off my first year to put me in good stead for next year, also it would mean I get to hit Tommorowland and Bestival.

What uni you go to?
Let us know when it's time to vote, thanks :redface:

When I put a thread up :tongue:

Back on the unemployment scrapheap as well, my department is getting a lot of changes in the new year so they just let all the temps go. Sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
What uni you go to?

Bristol, hows post graduation life?
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Bristol, hows post graduation life?

Mans unemployed bruv

Get an internship and get connections. If you know a guy who knows a guy become best friends with them.
Original post by sr90
When I put a thread up :tongue:

Back on the unemployment scrapheap as well, my department is getting a lot of changes in the new year so they just let all the temps go. Sigh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries bro. I'm in the same position the company are moving office so they got rid of me :lol:

I'm gonna apply for a couple grad schemes, think I can get onto one hopefully. Lloyds have a good grad scheme going but I need to research a bit more into that role.
Dark times we live in. Wish I was a farmer. Scratch that, shephard is the one.
Original post by jam277
I'm gonna apply for a couple grad schemes, think I can get onto one hopefully. Lloyds have a good grad scheme going but I need to research a bit more into that role.

Seriously man, Lloyds are crazy good.
My sister works fairly high up for them in the Leeds branch.
You know the people who businesses ring to get loans?
She basically manages those people.

She got BCD in her a-levels, got a temp job with lloyds and now she earns nearly as much as my father.

Essentially, she didn't even do that well in education but she persevered and now she has a great career and will only get paid more and more.
Original post by jam277
Mans unemployed bruv

Get an internship and get connections. If you know a guy who knows a guy become best friends with them.

No worries bro. I'm in the same position the company are moving office so they got rid of me :lol:

My friend used to work for Lloyd's and she absolutely hated it. Not sure if it was issues with the job or that specific branch. Maybe their grad scheme is different though.

I've got enough money for 2 months rent/bills/living expenses, plus my family usually give me some money for Christmas. I've now got relevant experience on my CV too, so I'm not worried. I wasn't planning to stay in that job long term anyway tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
My friend used to work for Lloyd's and she absolutely hated it. Not sure if it was issues with the job or that specific branch. Maybe their grad scheme is different though.

I've got enough money for 2 months rent/bills/living expenses, plus my family usually give me some money for Christmas. I've now got relevant experience on my CV too, so I'm not worried. I wasn't planning to stay in that job long term anyway tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same boat as me, but you're not living at home which is the only difference.

You must be living up north if you've got enough for that. Over here you'll need about 1200 for 2 months if you're renting.
Original post by sr90
Don't post your votes in here guys its supposed to be private :tongue:

Gonna start it next week I think

Private is no fun. I want to know who voted for me. And people want to know who Eboracum voted for.

Original post by sr90

I'm sorry man. You want to get cracking with things to try to make your life better. Don't sit in feeling sorry for yourself. You can do it SR! Man it seems depressing post-graduation. I guess there's a feeling of grass is always greener. I'm a bit fed up of uni work and am waiting to finish, but equally it sounds as if post-uni life is just as bad. :s-smilie:
Original post by Lúcio
Seriously man, Lloyds are crazy good.
My sister works fairly high up for them in the Leeds branch.
You know the people who businesses ring to get loans?
She basically manages those people.

She got BCD in her a-levels, got a temp job with lloyds and now she earns nearly as much as my father.

Essentially, she didn't even do that well in education but she persevered and now she has a great career and will only get paid more and more.

Which branch, I'll go see her sometime

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eboracum
I'm sorry man. You want to get cracking with things to try to make your life better. Don't sit in feeling sorry for yourself. You can do it SR! Man it seems depressing post-graduation. I guess there's a feeling of grass is always greener. I'm a bit fed up of uni work and am waiting to finish, but equally it sounds as if post-uni life is just as bad. :s-smilie:

I was warned that the first 6 months after graduating is really **** and it's been horrible so far, i'm not gonna lie. At least i'm still living where I went to uni so i've had some sort of continuity. I can only imagine what it's like for those who've had to move back home.

Original post by jam277
Same boat as me, but you're not living at home which is the only difference.

You must be living up north if you've got enough for that. Over here you'll need about 1200 for 2 months if you're renting.

Nope, I live near London. I'm in a house share with 3 of my mates though, so my rent is only £280 p/m. Private landlord ftw.
(edited 9 years ago)
Did you guys start applying at start of final uni year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Nope, I live near London. I'm in a house share with 3 of my mates though, so my rent is only £280 p/m. Private landlord ftw.

That's sick man.

I assume you want to work in london? :smile:

Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Did you guys start applying at start of final uni year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, which is why I'm in this position tbh.

No idea what I wanted to do.

Latest