The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Assy123
Does the 4 include voluntary work aswell or work experience only?

Posted from TSR Mobile

2 volunteerings and 2 shadowing type of things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just want to give hope to you all. SGUL was the only uni who gave me an interview and it was in MARCH and thankfully they accepted me. Don't let rejections put you down, you just have to stay positive!!!
Original post by NicolasCage7
2 volunteerings and 2 shadowing type of things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are your volunteering experiences linked to healthcare?
I have some major experiences (teaching computer classes to children, helping out in primary school etc.) that aren't directly related to healthcare and I'm confused as to whether I can include such activities under a "work experience" document?
Original post by jojoefghi
Are your volunteering experiences linked to healthcare?
I have some major experiences (teaching computer classes to children, helping out in primary school etc.) that aren't directly related to healthcare and I'm confused as to whether I can include such activities under a "work experience" document?

I think you can, as long as you feel like its relevant in some way

Mine as a care home for mentally disabled adults & a school for kids with learning disabilities. So quite relevant, I guess....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the course here integrated?
Original post by Murrray123
Just want to give hope to you all. SGUL was the only uni who gave me an interview and it was in MARCH and thankfully they accepted me. Don't let rejections put you down, you just have to stay positive!!!

Yeah it is getting hard, but thankyou!!!
Original post by NicolasCage7
Right, I've requested 3/4 we letters (haven't heard back about the 4th one but I'll get it eventually), gonna call my old school about a GCSE results statement (because my certificates never reached me) tomorrow
WHY IS ACCUMULATING PAPERWORK FOR THE INTERVIEW MORE DIFFICULT THAN GETTING THE INTERVIEW

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg hahaha this is SO TRUE. I'm having such a hard time collating everything and making sure that it fits their criteria. It sucks being an international student studying overseas sometimes lol my parents have to send me all my certs..... :frown: And of course argh the stress of prepping for the MMI!!!
Original post by Winter_is_here
Yeah it is getting hard, but thankyou!!!

Heya, stay positive!! Also, they say that no news is good news. So patience guys!!! :smile:
Hey could someone at SGUL now tell me more about how the medical course at SGUL is different from other unis? :smile: It'd be good to hear from students~
Original post by lazymedic
MMI's are bliss :smile: Because you can mess up in one station but still pull it back in the others, plus most of interviewers know nothing about your grades or PS so that allows everyone to be judged fairly.

These competences?

Academic ability and intellect
Empathy
Initiative and resilience
Communication skills
Organisation and problem solving
Team work
Insight and integrity
Effective learning style

Hmmmm they assessed most of them informally, in the sense that they didn't have a specific station for most of them. For example communication skills is tested in every single station but on the other hand Empathy does have it's own station (Role play).

I just wrote this long email about the interview and prep, I'll PM you that and anyone else who wants it.

:smile:

Me too please! Thank you :smile:
Original post by hogsmeades
Omg hahaha this is SO TRUE. I'm having such a hard time collating everything and making sure that it fits their criteria. It sucks being an international student studying overseas sometimes lol my parents have to send me all my certs..... :frown: And of course argh the stress of prepping for the MMI!!!

MY OLD SCHOOL HAS POSTED THE GCSES RESULTS CONFIRMATION THING THNK YOU JESUS

still 3/4 WE letters sorted lord give me strength
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1011
Is everyone just getting 4 work experience letters which your writing on the form or do we get them all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1012
Is it fine if I just have the work experience certificate instead? I have done a few days at a local trust. The certificate has my name, the doctor whom I shadow on it as well as the date of my placement. There is no details regarding my specific tasks when I was there though. Do you guys think it's fine or must I ask for another letter?
Original post by HD0801
Is it fine if I just have the work experience certificate instead? I have done a few days at a local trust. The certificate has my name, the doctor whom I shadow on it as well as the date of my placement. There is no details regarding my specific tasks when I was there though. Do you guys think it's fine or must I ask for another letter?

I'm using a certificate I was emailed from the hospital. It doesn't really need to have the task because it wasn't like I did anything, shadowing a doctor isn't really doing much tbh. It isn't like volunteering or anything so as long as it shows that you were shadowing a doctor, that is all they need to know.
Original post by nik345
Is the course here integrated?

Do you mean if the clinical and pre-clinical years are mixed together?
or if it's both lecture based and CBL/PBL?

In terms of pre-clinical and clinical, it's integrated, at George's you get to interact with patients in the first few weeks. You have two GP placements in semester one which consist of interviewing patients for 45 mins in pairs. Also there are community visits. Basically each year you go up the more clinical placement time you get.

It is also integrated in terms of Lectures and PBL/CBL, we have both types teaching here, as well as a lot of interactive sessions.
Where does it say you have to show 4 pieces of work experience? And also what is this form you are referring to?
Bit unsure of whether my volunteering in the library for 2 years can go on the form...it's not medically related but has helped me develop communication and team working skills, as well as confidence dealing with the public...
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Bit unsure of whether my volunteering in the library for 2 years can go on the form...it's not medically related but has helped me develop communication and team working skills, as well as confidence dealing with the public...

if you mentioned it in your PS get a reference in case they ask for it
Original post by blissfully
if you mentioned it in your PS get a reference in case they ask for it

Yeah I've got a reference, just wasn't sure if I should put it on the work experience form :/
Can someone please explain what "form" this is? Was it in an email?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending