The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
I was warned that the first 6 months after graduating is really **** and it's been horrible so far, i'm not gonna lie. At least i'm still living where I went to uni so i've had some sort of continuity. I can only imagine what it's like for those who've had to move back home.

Nope, I live near London. I'm in a house share with 3 of my mates though, so my rent is only £280 p/m. Private landlord ftw.

It's strange because I'd rather move back home tbh. I love my home town and the people in it. Ideally of course I'd be moving to London (or somewhere commutable) with mates for a job or postgrad.

Do you commute to London everyday?
Original post by jam277

No, which is why I'm in this position tbh.

No idea what I wanted to do.

Jammy. So you didn't apply for any grad jobs in your final year? Yeah my mate is in the same position. But tbh, grad schemes are really time consuming. I've applied to 7 and have had 6 rejections and I'm pretty exhausted. I'll do 1-2 more at most, and if not, **** it, I'll wait till graduation. Haven't had time to start my dissertation yet either, hell of a lot of work to do over Christmas.
Original post by jam277
That's sick man.

I assume you want to work in london? :smile:

No, which is why I'm in this position tbh.

No idea what I wanted to do.

**** knows man. I'm considering it, along with moving back up north, need to see what jobs are out there first though as i'm still not 100% sure what I want to do. I'm not doing retail again that's for sure, especially at this time of year.

Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Did you guys start applying at start of final uni year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know anyone who went for grad schemes tbh.

Original post by Eboracum
Jammy. So you didn't apply for any grad jobs in your final year? Yeah my mate is in the same position. But tbh, grad schemes are really time consuming. I've applied to 7 and have had 6 rejections and I'm pretty exhausted. I'll do 1-2 more at most, and if not, **** it, I'll wait till graduation. Haven't had time to start my dissertation yet either, hell of a lot of work to do over Christmas.

Dissertation is overrated tbh, if it's not due in until Easter you will be fine. Research is a major PITA but once you actually sit down and start writing the thing it doesn't take very long. It's just 4 essays that lead on from one another. Your supervisor will basically tell you what to write anyway, at least mine did! I was absolutely dreading mine and put it off for ages but once I sat down and got to work it really wasn't that hard.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
**** knows man. I'm considering it, along with moving back up north, need to see what jobs are out there first though as i'm still not 100% sure what I want to do. I'm not doing retail again that's for sure, especially at this time of year.

Do you currently work on a shop floor or on a telephone? I guess you just need to have a think and decide what you want man, then just be assertive and go for it all out.

Original post by sr90

Quite a contrast man. Pretty much every single person I know on my uni is applying for grad schemes. People are starting to get phone interviews/assessment days now and it's only November. I've got a Skype interview tomorrow. But to be honest, I'm not sure I want to work, I'm dreaming of a Masters and a PHD. :colondollar:

Original post by sr90
Dissertation is overrated tbh, if it's not due in until Easter you will be fine. Research is a major PITA but once you actually sit down and start writing the thing it doesn't take very long. It's just 4 essays that lead on from one another. Your supervisor will basically tell you what to write anyway, at least mine did! I was absolutely dreading mine and put it off for ages but once I sat down and got to work it really wasn't that hard.

I find this very interesting. Yeah. Basically I have two 3,000 word essays due on 5th Jan, just doing the essay plans for them now, once I get feedback I will start, but I want these banged out well before Christmas so I can start dissertation. When did you start writing? How many references did you have? How long did it take? I'm worried I'm out of my depth.
Original post by sr90

Is this due to a lack of direction from uni or something? My brothers at York final year and they are essentially forced to have started applying for jobs at start of this year.

As I type this news comes in about Blind. 6 months out. ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na, I was going to do a masters originally but messed it up, I wasn't really in the correct frame of mind if I was being honest, lost a **** load of drive which tbh was like that since I finished year 12.

Original post by sr90

It's probably easiest for you to go to london, more graduate level jobs to do, and general jobs as well. Tbh I'd say live around outskirts of london and get a city job in the central, you'll have a cheap housing situation and can go into the City to do work.
Original post by jam277
Na, I was going to do a masters originally but messed it up, I wasn't really in the correct frame of mind if I was being honest, lost a **** load of drive which tbh was like that since I finished year 12.

It's probably easiest for you to go to london, more graduate level jobs to do, and general jobs as well. Tbh I'd say live around outskirts of london and get a city job in the central, you'll have a cheap housing situation and can go into the City to do work.

Yeah. Don't worry, I don't have that much drive. Like in Second Year I'd written 800 words out of 3000 by 7PM the night before it was due. I"m quite lazy and I just do enough to get by sometimes, but it's like I want the status of these unis and these degrees. :colondollar: Would you say you were best in first year?

Yeah, the opportunities in London are incredible. 6 out of the 7 grad schemes I applied for were based in London. Place to be tbh. Out of interest Jammy, do you make it to Stamford Bridge often? Or is it a case of a cash flow problem?
Is this due to a lack of direction from uni or something? My brothers at York final year and they are essentially forced to have started applying for jobs at start of this year.

What does your bro study?

Yeah, unis like that ram it down your throat man. You basically get graduate employers visiting on campus all the time, doing talks, giving out freebees, it's like an atmosphere where if you are not applying you start to worry. And you get sucked in. I've been at talks for things I had no interest in doing what so ever, but I just felt I ought to be there. I guess everyone around you is doing it and it just leads to a domino effect.
What does your bro study?

Yeah, unis like that ram it down your throat man. You basically get graduate employers visiting on campus all the time, doing talks, giving out freebees, it's like an atmosphere where if you are not applying you start to worry. And you get sucked in. I've been at talks for things I had no interest in doing what so ever, but I just felt I ought to be there. I guess everyone around you is doing it and it just leads to a domino effect.

He's doing ABFM.

Yeah he says that haha, constant graduate fairs and the like. Said there's someone coming from (Deloitte I think) and you have 10 mins to basically ask them anything about the process. Uni's like that really do give you a leg up, you're in good hands Ebo haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah. Don't worry, I don't have that much drive. Like in Second Year I'd written 800 words out of 3000 by 7PM the night before it was due. I"m quite lazy and I just do enough to get by sometimes, but it's like I want the status of these unis and these degrees. :colondollar: Would you say you were best in first year?

Yeah, the opportunities in London are incredible. 6 out of the 7 grad schemes I applied for were based in London. Place to be tbh. Out of interest Jammy, do you make it to Stamford Bridge often? Or is it a case of a cash flow problem?

Yeah, I was probably best at uni in first year. But that's because a lot of the modules had chemistry and maths based, when it got to straight biology I struggled as it involved hard work and memory. When I actually worked hard for modules in my final two years I got good marks so I think every grade I got was deserved.

Yup London is where it's at atm. I don't make it often because of cash, hopefully over time I will though. Want to live in the centre of london or west london in the future. Not much potential around here and I like to surround myself with high potential individuals, although my place will be gentrified sooner rather than later so if I stick around I will be there to witness it like with Shoreditch etc. Although with the current improvements it's still nowhere near that of west london.
He's doing ABFM.

Yeah he says that haha, constant graduate fairs and the like. Said there's someone coming from (Deloitte I think) and you have 10 mins to basically ask them anything about the process. Uni's like that really do give you a leg up, you're in good hands Ebo haha.

Your brother goes to what is known as a "target university". You'll get magic circle law firms, top investment banks, big four accountancy firms and a whole host of others regularly doing talks, presentations and networking events. It makes life easy because everyday your brother will get emails about employers on campus doing this that and the other, and you can't help but turn up. Every now and again those employers will meet someone at an event and just fast track them through the process. And generally at those sorts of universities everyone wants to work for the above, so it makes it easy for them.

You at the same university as him?
(edited 9 years ago)
Your brother goes to what is known as a "target university". You'll get magic circle law firms, top investment banks, big four accountancy firms and a whole host of others regularly doing talks, presentations and networking events. It makes life easy because everyday your brother will get emails about employers on campus doing this that and the other, and you can't help but turn up. Every now and again those employers will meet someone at an event and just fast track them through the process. And generally at those sorts of universities everyone wants to work for the above, so it makes it easy for them.

You at the same university as him?

Yeah agree with everything you said above. Can't claim I'm massively knowledgable but what I do know matches up with what you've said. Tbh you're sorted as well, Russell Group uni degrees are favoured amongst others no matter what anyone says, suppose that's just how it is.

I'm at Leeds uni, York don't do dentistry unfortunately. We regularly argue about who's uni is better though :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah agree with everything you said above. Can't claim I'm massively knowledgable but what I do know matches up with what you've said. Tbh you're sorted as well, Russell Group uni degrees are favoured amongst others no matter what anyone says, suppose that's just how it is.

I'm at Leeds uni, York don't do dentistry unfortunately. We regularly argue about who's uni is better though :laugh:

I can only be honest with my views on this. I can't lie or hide what I think. I really like the idea of the Russell Group. Both my folks and my brother went to them, so I was very keen to gain entry to one, and there are lots of advantages, one of which is the Study Abroad links. Most unis have it, but the better the uni, the better the partnerships. Thus it was a delight to do that in Second Year. So really that, and the employability made it a no brainer. That's not to say there aren't other great universities in the UK, as there clearly are (St. Andrews and Bath are the first that come to mind and others), but for me, I probably wouldn't have gone had I of not got into one. So I'm very pro-Russell Group as embarrassed as I am to use that phrase. :colondollar:

If you do Dentistry at Leeds Uni your career prospects are pretty good as well. Was Dentistry at Leeds your first choice? From what you were saying yesterday about being jealous of everyone else I thought you were working full time as a cleaner or something. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I can only be honest with my views on this. I can't lie or hide what I think. I really like the idea of the Russell Group. Both my folks and my brother went to them, so I was very keen to gain entry to one, and there are lots of advantages, one of which is the Study Abroad links. Most unis have it, but the better the uni, the better the partnerships. Thus it was a delight to do that in Second Year. So really that, and the employability made it a no brainer. That's not to say there aren't other great universities in the UK, as there clearly are (St. Andrews and Bath are the first that come to mind and others), but for me, I probably wouldn't have gone had I of not got into one. So I'm very pro-Russell Group as embarrassed as I am to use that phrase. :colondollar:

If you do Dentistry at Leeds Uni your career prospects are pretty good as well. Was Dentistry at Leeds your first choice? From what you were saying yesterday about being jealous of everyone else I thought you were working full time as a cleaner or something. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Yeah I agree. As you did the year abroad a job is pretty much set for you mate. Think you've hit the nail on the head, it's all about contacts and the better the Uni the better these are, links with top firms is only a good thing. The thing a lot of people fail to realise is that even if a Russell group uni is below a non Russell group uni in the rankings, it doesn't matter. Employers don't check these, they go off reputation. So when you apply for grad jobs they'll say, "Eboracum got a 2:1 at York? Interview for him" etc. you won't struggle at all, just keep perservering man.

Leeds wasn't my first choice to be honest, wanted to go to Manchester (would've been closer to OT and gone down whenever I could as well), but was rejected post-interview. Was disappointed but ah well. Prospects yeah I'm guaranteed a job but I don't enjoy that feeling if I'm honest. Call me daft but I look from afar and admire the big city, the corporate job and the 30 year old IB's with M5's and 10/10 partners.

Blind out for up to 6 months, what do you make of this? I think we are royally screwed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I agree. As you did the year abroad a job is pretty much set for you mate. Think you've hit the nail on the head, it's all about contacts and the better the Uni the better these are, links with top firms is only a good thing. The thing a lot of people fail to realise is that even if a Russell group uni is below a non Russell group uni in the rankings, it doesn't matter. Employers don't check these, they go off reputation. So when you apply for grad jobs they'll say, "Eboracum got a 2:1 at York? Interview for him" etc. you won't struggle at all, just keep perservering man.

Leeds wasn't my first choice to be honest, wanted to go to Manchester (would've been closer to OT and gone down whenever I could as well), but was rejected post-interview. Was disappointed but ah well. Prospects yeah I'm guaranteed a job but I don't enjoy that feeling if I'm honest. Call me daft but I look from afar and admire the big city, the corporate job and the 30 year old IB's with M5's and 10/10 partners.

Blind out for up to 6 months, what do you make of this? I think we are royally screwed.

That's the thing man. Like I just think we live in an era where even a 2:1 Russell just isn't enough anymore. In the 60s about 4% of school leavers went to uni, so any degree made you special, but now it's about 52%, and even the better unis you'll get up to 80k grads plus a year. When you look at about 50 apps per grad scheme, and for the top ones 150 per grad scheme, it shows you how important it is getting to the next level. So just get your CV as good as possible. I was head of a society in first year, I've done internships in Parliament and Civil Service, study abroad at the most famous uni in Australia, but tbh, even all that I don't consider good enough, thus I'm going to try and go to UCL for the Masters which I feel will take me to the next level. Then if that goes well I'd probably apply for PHDs at top UK/AUS/US/Japan unis. You want to get to a level where you are virtually irresistible to employers in the same way Harvey Specter is to women. That's the level I'm working towards and you should be as well and it sounds as if you are.

Interesting how people's relationships with their siblings differ isn't it. For me, I want my bro to succeed more than me, just our personality types make us that way. We compete on the same side, I practically forced him to apply for postgrad at Oxford when he wanted to work, just because I wanted him to have the status of Oxbridge. :colondollar:

Bang on about your Russell point. Surrey, Loughborough, Bath, good unis, but they are not as good as Manchester, Birmingham or KCL just because they are above them in the UK rankings for me.

Durham was my first choice, and this was my second. So I'm pretty content. Was rejected from Durham, but I have an MA offer from them so it's all good. :colondollar:

Yeah. My mate does Chemistry but he's fed up and dreaming of a life in the city. He basically lives his life by the idea that "greed is good".

Blind isn't out for six months, that was a incorrect tweet says Van Gaal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here. We should hangout and be TSR fwends.
That's the thing man. Like I just think we live in an era where even a 2:1 Russell just isn't enough anymore. In the 60s about 4% of school leavers went to uni, so any degree made you special, but now it's about 52%, and even the better unis you'll get up to 80k grads plus a year. When you look at about 50 apps per grad scheme, and for the top ones 150 per grad scheme, it shows you how important it is getting to the next level. So just get your CV as good as possible. I was head of a society in first year, I've done internships in Parliament and Civil Service, study abroad at the most famous uni in Australia, but tbh, even all that I don't consider good enough, thus I'm going to try and go to UCL for the Masters which I feel will take me to the next level. Then if that goes well I'd probably apply for PHDs at top UK/AUS/US/Japan unis. You want to get to a level where you are virtually irresistible to employers in the same way Harvey Specter is to women. That's the level I'm working towards and you should be as well and it sounds as if you are.

Interesting how people's relationships with their siblings differ isn't it. For me, I want my bro to succeed more than me, just our personality types make us that way. We compete on the same side, I practically forced him to apply for postgrad at Oxford when he wanted to work, just because I wanted him to have the status of Oxbridge. :colondollar:

Bang on about your Russell point. Surrey, Loughborough, Bath, good unis, but they are not as good as Manchester, Birmingham or KCL just because they are above them in the UK rankings for me.

Durham was my first choice, and this was my second. So I'm pretty content. Was rejected from Durham, but I have an MA offer from them so it's all good. :colondollar:

Yeah. My mate does Chemistry but he's fed up and dreaming of a life in the city. He basically lives his life by the idea that "greed is good".

Blind isn't out for six months, that was a incorrect tweet says Van Gaal.

Yeah I see your point, nowadays a degree isn't simply good enough. It's good you've got that ambition though, a lot lack that and it'll take you a long way in life.

I feel you on the wanting more for your sibling point, it's an interesting concept actually. I want us both to be successful, but not too sure on the concept on who's more successful (as in I've never really thought about it :colondollar: ).

Yeah it's a point I hear a lot of people make, which to me smacks a little of desperation/inferiority complex. Ah I see, yeah Durham is a top uni but York equally as good. I can see why he is, having your life mapped out is actually quite a scary concept, you need a bit of spontaneity to make it interesting.

Was it? That's a relief then. I still think we could do with a DM in January if available though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Isometrix
Same here. We should hangout and be TSR fwends.

Oh you go Leeds uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I see your point, nowadays a degree isn't simply good enough. It's good you've got that ambition though, a lot lack that and it'll take you a long way in life.

I feel you on the wanting more for your sibling point, it's an interesting concept actually. I want us both to be successful, but not too sure on the concept on who's more successful (as in I've never really thought about it :colondollar: ).

Yeah it's a point I hear a lot of people make, which to me smacks a little of desperation/inferiority complex. Ah I see, yeah Durham is a top uni but York equally as good. I can see why he is, having your life mapped out is actually quite a scary concept, you need a bit of spontaneity to make it interesting.

Was it? That's a relief then. I still think we could do with a DM in January if available though.

Yeah man. I live for ambition. I'm always looking ahead thinking about what the next thing is. I find it hard to understand people that don't want to better themselves.

You a first year? Just work out what you want and go for it. It seems doing a Dentistry degree your career path would be quite specific? Like would there be opportunities to go into banking or finance with that? Perhaps if that's what you want after your degree you want to try and get into LSE or UCL for a finance masters of some kind, then you'd be set up well.

I don't agree with accepted conventions about not buying in January. All players are available all the time for the right price. I'd sign four players in January, 2 CBs, a CDM and a striker. Something like Hummels, one other, Vidal and someone else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah man. I live for ambition. I'm always looking ahead thinking about what the next thing is. I find it hard to understand people that don't want to better themselves.

You a first year? Just work out what you want and go for it. It seems doing a Dentistry degree your career path would be quite specific? Like would there be opportunities to go into banking or finance with that? Perhaps if that's what you want after your degree you want to try and get into LSE or UCL for a finance masters of some kind, then you'd be set up well.

I don't agree with accepted conventions about not buying in January. All players are available all the time for the right price. I'd sign four players in January, 2 CBs, a CDM and a striker. Something like Hummels, one other, Vidal and someone else.

I think the problem is a lot of people want to better themselves, but don't have the motivation like you to go through with it.

Yeah I'm first year. It's specific yeah, thing is I'm guaranteed near to £100k if I keep going with it tbh. I plan to kinda stick with it until 30-35, then try and transition into business world. But for now just want my degree haha.

Yeah I agree, our strikers are just terrible at the moment, slow, dull and old. We need CB's, can't believe some people actually rate Smalling he's awful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest