The Student Room Group

I'm a new Christian, AMA!

So the title says it all. A couple of days ago I became a Christian. Any questions of any kind are welcome. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hariex
So the title says it all. A couple of days ago I became a Christian. Any questions of any kind are welcome. :smile:

Do you think Monster energy drink is the work of the devil?
Reply 2
Original post by Project Tsukyomi

No, but Coke is. The red gives it away tbh
Original post by Project Tsukyomi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bntfUA6TmLs

What are your thoughts on this woman?
Reply 5

I found this hilarious... as a Christian. Some people just overdo it!
Hi Hariex :smile:

1) Did you research other religions (i.e. Islam, Hinduism, etc) before accepting Christianity?
2) What are your reasons for accepting Christianity over other possible religions and worldviews?
3) Who would win in a fight between Superman (Man of Steel 2013) and Godzilla (Godzilla 2014)?

I look forwards to your responses :biggrin:
What were your beliefs before you converted to Christianity?
Do you think Christians are perfect?
Original post by Hariex

Why did you become a Christian?
would Our Lord have joined TSR ?
Reply 11
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Hi Hariex :smile:

1) Did you research other religions (i.e. Islam, Hinduism, etc) before accepting Christianity?
2) What are your reasons for accepting Christianity over other possible religions and worldviews?
3) Who would win in a fight between Superman (Man of Steel 2013) and Godzilla (Godzilla 2014)?

I look forwards to your responses :biggrin:

Hey there, good to see you. I am not ignoring your response from the other day, just taking my time with it. :colondollar:

I admit I have insufficient knowledge of other religions, though I am not completely ignorant.

As you know, I can list plenty of arguments for the existence of God, all of which are not exclusive to any specific theism. I would list Christian arguments in the following categories:

Historical

Personal

Logical

Scientific

Numbers (3) and (4), whilst important, do not address the question you are asking.

So, I would suggest that, historically, Christianity has significant ground. I believe this to be true particularly for the New Testament. What separates Christianity from Islam and Judaism is that Jesus died and rose again, something I believe should be given historical credence.

Personal arguments for the existence of God primarily rely on the historical arguments. I would argue that an experience is valid if it aligns with Biblical teachings, which immediately invokes the historical argument.

However, I think that the Christian worldview is profound. Whilst Islam is more inclined towards communal values, Christianity is largely an inclusive religion. The whole concept of putting somebody first, doing everything with love, loving the community, etc, is a positive lifestyle, something atheism does not necessarily entail.

Finally, the Christian doctrine of salvation is what separates it from most, if not all, other religions. Reformed theology teaches that we are saved by our faith in Jesus instead of our moral works. God doesn't love us only if we've been particularly good or if we have achieved moral superiority. It's not like Buddhism, where we achieve enlightenment through our works. It's not like Islam where certain acts commend rewards.

Sorry for rambling there. I'm sure you have a dozen objections and, if so, feel free to PM me.

As for your last question: Superman. It's well known that humans are generally more capable than CGI.
Reply 12
Original post by the bear
would Our Lord have joined TSR ?

I have no idea. I suspect he would be involved in social media in some way, being scandalous and reformist...
Reply 13
Original post by Captain Jack
Why did you become a Christian?

I had come to the conclusion that, intellectually, Christianity was respectable. However, I think that it wasn't enough just being intellectually content - there is a relation aspect to it as well.
Reply 14
Original post by steadmusic
Do you think Christians are perfect?

Nowhere near.
Do you believe that all the accounts and annecdotes in the bible are 100% fact?
How can non Christians celebrate Christmas?
What denomination of Christianity do you belong to?

Is the Bible the literal word of God or just the inspired word of God?
Reply 18
Original post by Morrisseya
How can non Christians celebrate Christmas?

How can Christians celebrate Christmas?
Christmas has nothing do with Christianity and actually comes from Roman and Greek polytheistic religions. Christmas was just made up by the church/churches to coincide with pagan festivals relating to the winter solstice. Jesus was actually born in the summer so why do you as (assumedly) a Christian celebrate an (inferior?) Pagan festival?

I'm an atheist but also have no problems celebrating the winter solstice because it's real.
Original post by Torum
How can Christians celebrate Christmas?
Christmas has nothing do with Christianity and actually comes from Roman and Greek polytheistic religions. Christmas was just made up by the church/churches to coincide with pagan festivals relating to the winter solstice. Jesus was actually born in the summer so why do you as (assumedly) a Christian celebrate an (inferior?) Pagan festival?

I'm an atheist but also have no problems celebrating the winter solstice because it's real.

I'm obviously a non-Christian, hence the question. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest