The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myms
hey congrats
wat was the offer

A*AAA in any of Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Chemistry.
Reply 241
Original post by Chlorophile
A*AAA in any of Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Chemistry.

do they giv offers for 4 subjects ??
coz i jus hav 3 A levels math physics n chem
predicted 3 A*s
Original post by myms
do they giv offers for 4 subjects ??
coz i jus hav 3 A levels math physics n chem
predicted 3 A*s

If you just have 3 A levels and they give you an offer it'll be based on three, don't worry. It's quantity not quality.
Reply 243
If you just have 3 A levels and they give you an offer it'll be based on three, don't worry. It's quantity not quality.

did u notice theres been a change again in the entry requirements for 2015
its been changed back to AAA
Original post by myms
did u notice theres been a change again in the entry requirements for 2015
its been changed back to AAA

They usually give you higher requirements. They specifically set the grades to challenge you (or at least that's what they said, I wouldn't say my offer is particularly challenging).
Got an offer from Imperial which is great! I went to Southampton on an applicant's visit/interview day and really didn't like it...

Well done! What didn't you like about southampton?
Original post by сталкер
Well done! What didn't you like about southampton?

Well firstly I just didn't 'click' with it like I did with UCL, ICL or Oxford. Everyone was friendly enough but I didn't feel the kind of warmth I felt at those places and the NOC is just absolutely massive, it feels more like a factory than a place I'd be taught. It didn't help, I suppose, that the student guides seemed more interested in getting totally drunk (which they described to us in a lot of detail) than their courses. The fact that I was utterly exhausted on my visit day and that I was a bit on edge anyway didn't help either.

I mean to be fair for them, it looked like a nice place and everyone there was very happy. It just definitely isn't the place for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well firstly I just didn't 'click' with it like I did with UCL, ICL or Oxford. Everyone was friendly enough but I didn't feel the kind of warmth I felt at those places and the NOC is just absolutely massive, it feels more like a factory than a place I'd be taught. It didn't help, I suppose, that the student guides seemed more interested in getting totally drunk (which they described to us in a lot of detail) than their courses. The fact that I was utterly exhausted on my visit day and that I was a bit on edge anyway didn't help either.

I mean to be fair for them, it looked like a nice place and everyone there was very happy. It just definitely isn't the place for me.

Fair enough, I get what you mean about warmth at UCL and ICL. I'll hold my decision on Southampton until I go there for the interview.
Original post by сталкер
Fair enough, I get what you mean about warmth at UCL and ICL. I'll hold my decision on Southampton until I go there for the interview.

Absolutely, don't take me word for it. As I said, I already felt uncomfortable there because of other reasons and I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be very happy there. Have a good interview!
Absolutely, don't take me word for it. As I said, I already felt uncomfortable there because of other reasons and I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be very happy there. Have a good interview!

Thanks! Regardless of Southampton, Imperial's my dream choice, that's the one I really hope I get!
Hey guys, I'm looking to apply to Imperial for Geology, however the usual offer is AAA and I've already done my A levels and got A*AB in Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively. I've also got an A in AS Physics. I'm thinking of either re-sitting Maths or self-studying Physics during my gap year. Does anybody know if Imperial looks unfavourably at a re-sit or a 'late' A-level? Can't seem to find any info on that on their website. Thanks guys.

I thought the student guide we had was really funny, He kept making puns, and when he was talking about the hard hat social was really great. Plus they way that the girl was trying to keep things organised and stay on track and was so clearly fed up with his shenanigans. I think he had a similar sense of humour to me but I could tell you guys were not getting it so much as he had to keep explaining he was joking( I guess it is an acquired taste!)
I understand what you mean about the Oceanography centre being huge and intimidating and it is such a faff to get to!
Original post by alicerose2
I thought the student guide we had was really funny, He kept making puns, and when he was talking about the hard hat social was really great. Plus they way that the girl was trying to keep things organised and stay on track and was so clearly fed up with his shenanigans. I think he had a similar sense of humour to me but I could tell you guys were not getting it so much as he had to keep explaining he was joking( I guess it is an acquired taste!)
I understand what you mean about the Oceanography centre being huge and intimidating and it is such a faff to get to!

Definitely is an acquired taste - I 'got it' but just didn't find it remotely funny. I'm not going to university to get wasted, I want to learn about the planet! But anyway, how was your interview? Mine was okay I think but the person interviewing me was a little odd, I couldn't read him at all - I never knew if he was trying to interrupt me or if he was listening.
Reply 253
I have an informal interview for Swansea, Earth science, and just wondering what kind of questions would they ask? :/ gotta get ready for anything!
Definitely is an acquired taste - I 'got it' but just didn't find it remotely funny. I'm not going to university to get wasted, I want to learn about the planet! But anyway, how was your interview? Mine was okay I think but the person interviewing me was a little odd, I couldn't read him at all - I never knew if he was trying to interrupt me or if he was listening.

It was a lot more challenging than Imperial which I found a little odd. I thought it would be the other way around! Imperial was a nice casual chat about what I liked doing in my spare time, whereas at Southampton I was given a sonar Image of the sea floor and told to analyse it- it was a bit baffling at first but I think I struggled through. I guess it was a good experience as that is a bit more what oxford is going to be like!
Original post by alicerose2
It was a lot more challenging than Imperial which I found a little odd. I thought it would be the other way around! Imperial was a nice casual chat about what I liked doing in my spare time, whereas at Southampton I was given a XXX and told to analyse it- it was a bit baffling at first but I think I struggled through. I guess it was a good experience as that is a bit more what oxford is going to be like!

Absolutely, the relative difficulty compared to Imperial was the first thing I thought! I was given the same thing (you should probably remove that from your post in case they use it for any other applicants) - I found that okay, I'm assuming I came up with all the stuff he wanted but he didn't really ask any difficult questions on that. I was asked one question which I did have to think about a bit, namely how someone in a million years time would be able to use the geological record to learn about how humans changed their environment and grilled me quite a lot on the resolution of the geological record.
Reply 256
Hey guys, I'm studying A2: Geology, Maths & Physics predicted A*A*A respectively.
I've applied to Exeter, Bristol, Imperial, Manchester and Southampton and was wondering if there was any info abut these places at all? Also, how long were your interviews at Imperial and Southampton? I get very worked up before interviews and always dread them :frown:
Original post by jbrown2
Hey guys, I'm studying A2: Geology, Maths & Physics predicted A*A*A respectively.
I've applied to Exeter, Bristol, Imperial, Manchester and Southampton and was wondering if there was any info abut these places at all? Also, how long were your interviews at Imperial and Southampton? I get very worked up before interviews and always dread them :frown:

All of the info is available on their respective websites! My interviews at Southampton and Imperial were both about 30 minutes. Getting nervous is inevitable but everyone's very friendly everywhere and it's all very informal!
I have just received an invitation for an interview from Manchester Uni! :biggrin:
Original post by Imranfr0
I have just received an invitation for an interview from Manchester Uni! :biggrin:

Me too! On the 28th?

Quick Reply

Latest