The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone heard from Northern/Newcastle yet???? Getting worried :/
Reply 221
Original post by Irishmed12
Has anyone heard from Northern/Newcastle yet???? Getting worried :/

Heard today :smile: interview on the 3rd! :biggrin: any news your side?
Reply 222
Anyone else heard from anywhere?
Ffs interview next week and don't even know if I'm preparing in the right way.
Original post by Isometrix
Ffs interview next week and don't even know if I'm preparing in the right way.
What are you doing for it? It's a bit hit and miss but prep is better than no prep!

I am finding it difficult to juggle SJT and prep for the interview as well as finishing placement at 6-7pm(!)

I don't feel ready for anything!!
Original post by i'm no superman
What are you doing for it? It's a bit hit and miss but prep is better than no prep!

I am finding it difficult to juggle SJT and prep for the interview as well as finishing placement at 6-7pm(!)

- Going through critical appraisal again, I feel they'll chuck a research paper and ask us to go through it.
- Making sure I know the ins and outs of the research I've done when it comes up as a question.
- Preparing for questions that are about the AFP i've chosen, why i've chosen it, how it will benefit me etc.

But I can barely find any academic FYs around to ask for help. Some of my mates have been able to get in touch with some people, and I know a guy who's interview is the day before mine. Dunno if it's right to ring him after he's done his to find out what themes they're after :colondollar:

Tbh I wouldn't at all mind if I didn't get this job, I would actually prefer getting my first choice FP.

Take it you have your SJT in Dec then, I'd rather get mine done early too and have a free xmas hol.
If anyone needs to go through critical appraisal again, found a good revision article:

http://www.nature.com/nrgastro/journal/v6/n2/full/ncpgasthep1331.html
Tech- as in 3rd December?

I have my AFP interview the day after finals... not ideal!
Reply 229
Original post by iamawesomejoy
Tech- as in 3rd December?

Yup! Apparently it's in St. James' park stadium, so even if the interview doesn't go well at least that's something positive to take away :tongue:
Just had interview this morning. Went alright apart from the clinical station where I don't think I got my differential in the order of likelihood. Plenty of nods and encouragement with what I was saying but I could have done slightly better in that station.

Not expecting to get the job, was chatting around and there were PhD students about. Bring on regular FPAS :lol:
Reply 231
Just had interview this morning. Went alright apart from the clinical station where I don't think I got my differential in the order of likelihood. Plenty of nods and encouragement with what I was saying but I could have done slightly better in that station.

Not expecting to get the job, was chatting around and there were PhD students about. Bring on regular FPAS :lol:

I'm sure you've done well. Where was your interview in the morning? Was it for research or education. I'm surprised how many people have interviews for few places.
Original post by abc44
I'm sure you've done well. Where was your interview in the morning? Was it for research or education. I'm surprised how many people have interviews for few places.

Research. Yeah that's whats worrying the ratio is still very competitive even after being shortlisted for interview. Maybe they do this because of the cascade process due to people taking up offers from other deaneries.
Reply 233
Research. Yeah that's whats worrying the ratio is still very competitive even after being shortlisted for interview. Maybe they do this because of the cascade process due to people taking up offers from other deaneries.

At least you have another go 😀
Original post by abc44

Can you apply for only one or the other?

Good man - thanks for sharing. I think you will be surprised. A PhD might lower the handicap, but on the day everyone's still playing the same game of golf* (and one with peculiar rules at that). It was the same 6 years ago, and will be the same for CT/ST :holmes:

Original post by Tech
Yup! Apparently it's in St. James' park stadium, so even if the interview doesn't go well at least that's something positive to take away :tongue:

I will also be there :smile: we have our SJT sitting next week too, which isn't ideal timing

Original post by purplefrog
Can you apply for only one or the other?

Mixed bag I think. East Midlands, for example, explicitly make you choose between research and leadership. Others (e.g. Thames, North Western) let you rank both. But in the Thames OSCE at least, you've still got to smash the research stuff in order to get the education or leadership post

*Blatant Troll (2014)

You never know! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Does anyone know how the scores for Thames AFP come about? How much is EPM / extra-academic / white space worth and the abstract / clinical station? Are jobs allocated purely on highest scorer for their top job ranked or does each job have a cut-off requirement as such?

My interview prep is going slow. I'm about 1/3 of the way through emergencies and still reading up on statistics.
You never know! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Does anyone know how the scores for Thames AFP come about? How much is EPM / extra-academic / white space worth and the abstract / clinical station? Are jobs allocated purely on highest scorer for their top job ranked or does each job have a cut-off requirement as such?

My interview prep is going slow. I'm about 1/3 of the way through emergencies and still reading up on statistics.

I'd also be interested to know the answer to this one. Had my London interview today - it's not too bad. Going to be a long wait between now and 21st January, though...!
Anyone else heard from Northwestern today? I got an interview and would really appreciate any advice from anyone who's had an interview there in the previous years. I know they have an academic panel and a clinical panel but beyond that I'm not sure what the interview involves.

I'd also be very keen to talk to current/past AFYs in Northwestern, even if you don't want to give any specific advice re the interview, I'd still like to ask a few questions about the programme itself, best timing for the research block in F2, the process of organizing projects and contacting potential supervisors...etc
Reply 239
Anyone else heard from West Midlands? Have a interview in Birmingham FC of all places. Weird.

Latest

Trending

Trending