The Student Room Group

English literature coursework essay.

Hello, I'm studying English literature and A2 level and at the moment we are starting to write our coursework essay on the novels Atonement and Wuthering Heights with poetry by Thomas Hardy. I really love the books and poetry.. My essay theme is Grief. Last year I got an A in my coursework, but this year I'm really struggling writing it. I haven't even wrote the introduction yet. I need to think of a nutshell argument too but can't. Any help or tips you could give me on writing the essay or nutshell argument would be so helpful... Thank you so much if you actually took the time to read all this and reply :smile:!
Reply 1
Whats the title?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My title is.. 'How is grief explored in the novel Atonement and the poetry of Thomas Hardy? How is this illuminated through a reading of Wuthering Heights?'
Reply 3
Firstly if you haven't read the text by now, just don't bother read a chapter by chapter summary of each book highlighting the parts where grief (defined solely by you, this could embody a good conclusion 'What is grief? How has modern life redefined the meaning of grief?) then look at how its explored = use of narration, pathetic fallacy, more attention to detail on dialogue, or the physical description of characters as they battle (and maybe even change) through. Of course search for the standard similes, metaphors etc.

Then pick out your key quotes

Rinse and repeat for Atonement, use it merely to illuminate and thus using it sparingly only where it is entirely relevant (do more comparison between atonement and wuthering heights as I think there written by the same author, so the distinctions/similarities should be clearer)
I have already read the books :smile: and Atonements is written by Ian McEwan and Wuthering heights by Emily Bronte. But thank you so much, this actually helped a lot
Original post by diggy
Firstly if you haven't read the text by now, just don't bother read a chapter by chapter summary of each book highlighting the parts where grief (defined solely by you, this could embody a good conclusion 'What is grief? How has modern life redefined the meaning of grief?) then look at how its explored = use of narration, pathetic fallacy, more attention to detail on dialogue, or the physical description of characters as they battle (and maybe even change) through. Of course search for the standard similes, metaphors etc.

Then pick out your key quotes

Rinse and repeat for Atonement, use it merely to illuminate and thus using it sparingly only where it is entirely relevant (do more comparison between atonement and wuthering heights as I think there written by the same author, so the distinctions/similarities should be clearer)

Please tell me you never did/do study A-level English Literature?
Original post by Scarlettperrie
Hello, I'm studying English literature and A2 level and at the moment we are starting to write our coursework essay on the novels Atonement and Wuthering Heights with poetry by Thomas Hardy. I really love the books and poetry.. My essay theme is Grief. Last year I got an A in my coursework, but this year I'm really struggling writing it. I haven't even wrote the introduction yet. I need to think of a nutshell argument too but can't. Any help or tips you could give me on writing the essay or nutshell argument would be so helpful... Thank you so much if you actually took the time to read all this and reply :smile:!

I did Atonement and Wuthering Heights for coursework. So if you need any guides and tops, than just message me.
Reply 7
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Please tell me you never did/do study A-level English Literature?

I did english literature, and got an A at A2 using my aforementioned technique and a C at AS because I spent too long trynna read my courework texts instead of getting down a solid essay plan

I suppose that I should mention I had read only one of my A2 coursework texts Frankenstein merely by chance over the summer for fun, and I only quickly read through Othello to get a feel for it (then watched the play) but I didnt read my second (which was Hamlet) but I only had to mention this text a little bit comparative to the other two
Reply 8
Original post by Scarlettperrie
I have already read the books :smile: and Atonements is written by Ian McEwan and Wuthering heights by Emily Bronte. But thank you so much, this actually helped a lot

No worries
Original post by diggy
I did english literature, and got an A at A2 using my aforementioned technique and a C at AS because I spent too long trynna read my courework texts instead of getting down a solid essay plan

I suppose that I should mention I had read only one of my A2 coursework texts Frankenstein merely by chance over the summer for fun, and I only quickly read through Othello to get a feel for it (then watched the play) but I didnt read my second (which was Hamlet) but I only had to mention this text a little bit comparative to the other two

That's how you do it, that's fine. However, I really would not recommend you push your study pattern on anyone else simply because no teacher would advise their student to not read their coursework text. It should be a balance between the two. You can say you got an A for whatever reason, however doesn't mean someone will get an A by your standards. I doubt anyone will unless they have a natural ability for English or; if they are just "naturally clever".
What other themes are there, that correlate to withering heights and atonement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending