scared of a user reporting me to police Watch

Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I challenged an apparently famous 'troll' with a potentially inappropriate and blase 'your mum' joke response (involved financial debate on Question Time. Honestly did not involve anything sexual despite what he thinks). Then I remembered I have an anxiety disorder and trolls know how to manipulate me. In this instance I am afraid they are telling the truth and going to report me for harrassment and things will escalate until I am facing jailtime for this incident. Has this ever happened in the context of a one off mildly inappropriate comment online?

Thank you
scotttb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If this is serious, no. You are not going to jail for a "your mum" joke.
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
(Original post by scotttb)
If this is serious, no. You are not going to jail for a "your mum" joke.
He's demanding me to answer if I was making derogatory comments about his mother though
ddhurst
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You'd be best just handing yourself in now
mackemforever
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
I challenged an apparently famous 'troll' with a potentially inappropriate and blase 'your mum' joke response (involved financial debate on Question Time. Honestly did not involve anything sexual despite what he thinks). Then I remembered I have an anxiety disorder and trolls know how to manipulate me. In this instance I am afraid they are telling the truth and going to report me for harrassment and things will escalate until I am facing jailtime for this incident. Has this ever happened in the context of a one off mildly inappropriate comment online?

Thank you
Better start warming up your ass pretty soon mate.
scotttb
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He's demanding me to answer if I was making derogatory comments about his mother though
Were you?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thank you
No, s/he's talking rubbish and you should report this user to the moderators because that's a disgusting and cowardly threat to make. You've done nothing wrong, certainly not anything against the law.
SilverrDragon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, you're probably going to be spending a few years in a cell. I suggest you listen to 'ddhurst'
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
No, s/he's talking rubbish and you should report this user to the moderators because that's a disgusting and cowardly threat to make. You've done nothing wrong, certainly not anything against the law.
Surely I have, this could be deemed harrassment? I deliberately made a crap finance debate joke so as not to grossly offend. They have been chasing me up on it for the last half hour. I am now in the paranoid state.
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
Ehhhh. kind of a Comms 2003 Sect 127 violation but if they went around arresting anybody who broke that law, there'd probably be more people inside prison than out.
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
(Original post by scotttb)
Were you?
I said something like 'funnily enough I was in a serious debate with your mother#financedebatewiththemum' which was a blatant lie.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surely I have, this could be deemed harrassment? I deliberately made a crap finance debate joke so as not to grossly offend. They have been chasing me up on it for the last half hour. I am now in the paranoid state.
Fortunately, the law's definition of harassment and yours aren't the same You've done nothing wrong. It's not illegal to offend someone, even if this person was offended - which they weren't. Report them.
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
(Original post by XMaramena)
Ehhhh. kind of a Comms 2003 Sect 127 violation but if they went around arresting anybody who broke that law, there'd probably be more people inside prison than out.
So why are half of the people making out I'll be in jail soon?
TIATA
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A 'yo mama' joke can't land you in prison :lol:

Can you imagine the trial?
The Legal Eagle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thank you
This is nonsense from them! You made a possibly inappropriate joke, for which you should hang your head in shame (really, there's no need!). However, from what you say, if he's chasing you on this issue, then there is a problem - on his half. I'd get a moderator on this, ASAP. You shouldn't get this from anyone on TSR, regardless of what you've done (Moderators are the only ones who should take justice in their hands - blocking, etc).

Harassment is a pretty serious allegation, despite it being one of the more minor offences. In your case, I doubt the police would do anything, at all. Contrarily, when speaking with you, they'd probably support you and go against this troll.

Please, don't worry. Report him to a Mod, and hopefully something will be done.
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Trolling is illegal, at least in the UK.

Just don't worry yourself about it - if he tries to bring any proceedings against you, they'll just laugh in his face.
SilverrDragon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because you will. Don't listen to anyone trying to convince you otherwise.
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Legal Eagle)
This is nonsense from them! You made a possibly inappropriate joke, for which you should hang your head in shame (really, there's no need!). However, from what you say, if he's chasing you on this issue, then there is a problem - on his half. I'd get a moderator on this, ASAP. You shouldn't get this from anyone on TSR, regardless of what you've done (Moderators are the only ones who should take justice in their hands - blocking, etc).

Harassment is a pretty serious allegation, despite it being one of the more minor offences. In your case, I doubt the police would do anything, at all. Contrarily, when speaking with you, they'd probably support you and go against this troll.

Please, don't worry. Report him to a Mod. and hopefully something will be done.
Thank you for clarifying. They have let it go now which is a relief. As they never made any significant insult at me I am not going to report them to the mods in this instance.

I think I may need to steer clear of trolls in future
The Legal Eagle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you for clarifying. They have let it go now which is a relief. As they never made any significant insult at me I am not going to report them to the mods in this instance.

I think I may need to steer clear of trolls in future
No problem. They should never have badgered you, so I'd still be tempted to report them, but it's up to you.
Kaiju
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it's not harassment if the joke was factual
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (159)
18.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (83)
9.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (142)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (122)
14.3%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (82)
9.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (265)
31.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed