The Student Room Group

scared of a user reporting me to police

I challenged an apparently famous 'troll' with a potentially inappropriate and blase 'your mum' joke response (involved financial debate on Question Time. Honestly did not involve anything sexual despite what he thinks). Then I remembered I have an anxiety disorder and trolls know how to manipulate me. In this instance I am afraid they are telling the truth and going to report me for harrassment and things will escalate until I am facing jailtime for this incident. Has this ever happened in the context of a one off mildly inappropriate comment online?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If this is serious, no. You are not going to jail for a "your mum" joke.
Original post by scotttb
If this is serious, no. You are not going to jail for a "your mum" joke.

He's demanding me to answer if I was making derogatory comments about his mother though
Reply 3
You'd be best just handing yourself in now
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I challenged an apparently famous 'troll' with a potentially inappropriate and blase 'your mum' joke response (involved financial debate on Question Time. Honestly did not involve anything sexual despite what he thinks). Then I remembered I have an anxiety disorder and trolls know how to manipulate me. In this instance I am afraid they are telling the truth and going to report me for harrassment and things will escalate until I am facing jailtime for this incident. Has this ever happened in the context of a one off mildly inappropriate comment online?

Thank you

Better start warming up your ass pretty soon mate.
Reply 5
He's demanding me to answer if I was making derogatory comments about his mother though

Were you?

Thank you

No, s/he's talking rubbish and you should report this user to the moderators because that's a disgusting and cowardly threat to make. You've done nothing wrong, certainly not anything against the law.
Yeah, you're probably going to be spending a few years in a cell. I suggest you listen to 'ddhurst'
Original post by Chlorophile
No, s/he's talking rubbish and you should report this user to the moderators because that's a disgusting and cowardly threat to make. You've done nothing wrong, certainly not anything against the law.

Surely I have, this could be deemed harrassment? I deliberately made a crap finance debate joke so as not to grossly offend. They have been chasing me up on it for the last half hour. I am now in the paranoid state.
Original post by Chlorophile

Ehhhh. kind of a Comms 2003 Sect 127 violation but if they went around arresting anybody who broke that law, there'd probably be more people inside prison than out.
Original post by scotttb
Were you?

I said something like 'funnily enough I was in a serious debate with your mother#financedebatewiththemum' which was a blatant lie.
Surely I have, this could be deemed harrassment? I deliberately made a crap finance debate joke so as not to grossly offend. They have been chasing me up on it for the last half hour. I am now in the paranoid state.

Fortunately, the law's definition of harassment and yours aren't the same :smile: You've done nothing wrong. It's not illegal to offend someone, even if this person was offended - which they weren't. Report them.
Original post by XMaramena
Ehhhh. kind of a Comms 2003 Sect 127 violation but if they went around arresting anybody who broke that law, there'd probably be more people inside prison than out.

So why are half of the people making out I'll be in jail soon? :frown:
Reply 13
A 'yo mama' joke can't land you in prison :lol:

Can you imagine the trial?

Thank you

This is nonsense from them! You made a possibly inappropriate joke, for which you should hang your head in shame (really, there's no need!). However, from what you say, if he's chasing you on this issue, then there is a problem - on his half. I'd get a moderator on this, ASAP. You shouldn't get this from anyone on TSR, regardless of what you've done (Moderators are the only ones who should take justice in their hands - blocking, etc).

Harassment is a pretty serious allegation, despite it being one of the more minor offences. In your case, I doubt the police would do anything, at all. Contrarily, when speaking with you, they'd probably support you and go against this troll.

Please, don't worry. Report him to a Mod, and hopefully something will be done.
(edited 9 years ago)

Trolling is illegal, at least in the UK.

Just don't worry yourself about it - if he tries to bring any proceedings against you, they'll just laugh in his face.

Because you will. Don't listen to anyone trying to convince you otherwise.
Original post by The Legal Eagle
This is nonsense from them! You made a possibly inappropriate joke, for which you should hang your head in shame (really, there's no need!). However, from what you say, if he's chasing you on this issue, then there is a problem - on his half. I'd get a moderator on this, ASAP. You shouldn't get this from anyone on TSR, regardless of what you've done (Moderators are the only ones who should take justice in their hands - blocking, etc).

Harassment is a pretty serious allegation, despite it being one of the more minor offences. In your case, I doubt the police would do anything, at all. Contrarily, when speaking with you, they'd probably support you and go against this troll.

Please, don't worry. Report him to a Mod. and hopefully something will be done.

Thank you for clarifying. They have let it go now which is a relief. As they never made any significant insult at me I am not going to report them to the mods in this instance.

I think I may need to steer clear of trolls in future
Thank you for clarifying. They have let it go now which is a relief. As they never made any significant insult at me I am not going to report them to the mods in this instance.

I think I may need to steer clear of trolls in future

No problem. They should never have badgered you, so I'd still be tempted to report them, but it's up to you.
Reply 19
it's not harassment if the joke was factual

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending