The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nishchay
Can someone please explain what "form" this is? Was it in an email?

yes it was one of the 5 attachments in the email :smile:
Original post by blissfully
yes it was one of the 5 attachments in the email :smile:

Was this email just for people invited to interview?
Original post by Rickstahhh
Was this email just for people invited to interview?

yes it was
Original post by blissfully
yes it was

Okay. Thank you and good luck!
GOT MY FIRST WE LETTER IN FLESH F YH PROGRESS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1025
Original post by JennaK
I'm using a certificate I was emailed from the hospital. It doesn't really need to have the task because it wasn't like I did anything, shadowing a doctor isn't really doing much tbh. It isn't like volunteering or anything so as long as it shows that you were shadowing a doctor, that is all they need to know.

Thanks a lot JennaK! Are you applying for the traditional A100 course? I'm applying for the A900 (international) though.
Original post by NicolasCage7
GOT MY FIRST WE LETTER IN FLESH F YH PROGRESS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahaha LOL my parents are sending me mine now!!! But thank goodness I already got them prepared awhile ago so I don't really have to rush and chase the WE people for them haha!
Original post by HD0801
Thanks a lot JennaK! Are you applying for the traditional A100 course? I'm applying for the A900 (international) though.

Yupp, the traditional A100 one. Oooh, where are you from? :biggrin:
Original post by hogsmeades
Hahahaha LOL my parents are sending me mine now!!! But thank goodness I already got them prepared awhile ago so I don't really have to rush and chase the WE people for them haha!

I have one more to chase up and waiting for 2 more to be completed

SIGH

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1029
Original post by JennaK
Yupp, the traditional A100 one. Oooh, where are you from? :biggrin:

I'm from Vietnam :smile: I'm new to all this and it's so scary i must say. Have you received any invitations yet?
Original post by HD0801
I'm from Vietnam :smile: I'm new to all this and it's so scary i must say. Have you received any invitations yet?

Wow, which other UK unis are you applying to? Yeah, it is a lot even for home students, haha, but it will all hopefully be worth it! So far, only St George's has given me an interview. My other 3 choices haven't replied yet. What about you?
Reply 1031
Original post by JennaK
Wow, which other UK unis are you applying to? Yeah, it is a lot even for home students, haha, but it will all hopefully be worth it! So far, only St George's has given me an interview. My other 3 choices haven't replied yet. What about you?

Wow that's great news! Congrats! Apart form A900 at St. George's, I am also applying to Glasgow, Dundee and Sheffield. Haven't heard anything from any of them yet so I'm freaking out :frown: . When is your interview? Are you ready for it yet?
Original post by hogsmeades
Hey could someone at SGUL now tell me more about how the medical course at SGUL is different from other unis? :smile: It'd be good to hear from students~

Hi :smile:

- IFP - (Interprofessional foundation programme) This is what the first semester (12 weeks) is called, during which you have lectures and group work sessions with different courses (Radiographers, Physiotherapists, Healthcare Scientists and Biomeds). This helps with building good relations with other courses and also simulates what MDT dynamics will be like.

- APE - (Anatomy of the Physical Examination) - session during which you utilise what you've learnt in the dissection room to a clinical setting. E.g. If you look at the arteries in the dissection room, in APE you'll learn where to find the pulses and how to feel them.

- Spiral Learning - In simple terms you learn about all the topics you need to learn about at a basic level in the first and then each year/semester you go back to each topic and learn it at a deeper level. This means you get to revise what you learnt before which helps cement the knowledge.

- Big emphasis on communication skills - you have loads of sessions on communication skills specifically

- CBL/PBL - CBL (Cased base learning) is in year 1 and 2. Then PBL (problem based learning) in the subsequent years. CBL/PBL are basically sessions in which you're given a case/problem and you have to work through it with your group, come up with learning objectives and then go and do independent research and feedback to the group. You have a tutor there too who guides you through the case.

- First semester - doesn't count, it's formative. However the grades do show up on your record. But this means that you can get yourself familiar with the whole exam process without it making any difference if you do good or not. (I think some other universities also do this)
Original post by HD0801
Wow that's great news! Congrats! Apart form A900 at St. George's, I am also applying to Glasgow, Dundee and Sheffield. Haven't heard anything from any of them yet so I'm freaking out :frown: . When is your interview? Are you ready for it yet?

Thanks! Ah, I'm applying to UEA, Keele and Barts. Don't worry about that, they always take really long with some people not even finding out until March next year, which is just crazy! It's better that you haven't heard anything yet as not knowing is better than a rejection, haha. And my interview is for Feb 24th so I have a lot of time, but so far, I'm not prepared at all lol.
Original post by lazymedic

- IFP - (Interprofessional foundation programme) This is what the first semester (12 weeks) is called, during which you have lectures and group work sessions with different courses (Radiographers, Physiotherapists, Healthcare Scientists and Biomeds). This helps with building good relations with other courses and also simulates what MDT dynamics will be like.

- APE - (Anatomy of the Physical Examination) - session during which you utilise what you've learnt in the dissection room to a clinical setting. E.g. If you look at the arteries in the dissection room, in APE you'll learn where to find the pulses and how to feel them.

- Spiral Learning - In simple terms you learn about all the topics you need to learn about at a basic level in the first and then each year/semester you go back to each topic and learn it at a deeper level. This means you get to revise what you learnt before which helps cement the knowledge.

- Big emphasis on communication skills - you have loads of sessions on communication skills specifically

- CBL/PBL - CBL (Cased base learning) is in year 1 and 2. Then PBL (problem based learning) in the subsequent years. CBL/PBL are basically sessions in which you're given a case/problem and you have to work through it with your group, come up with learning objectives and then go and do independent research and feedback to the group. You have a tutor there too who guides you through the case.

- First semester - doesn't count, it's formative. However the grades do show up on your record. But this means that you can get yourself familiar with the whole exam process without it making any difference if you do good or not. (I think some other universities also do this)

Wow this was really helpful! Thank you so much :smile:
Do you mean if the clinical and pre-clinical years are mixed together?
or if it's both lecture based and CBL/PBL?

In terms of pre-clinical and clinical, it's integrated, at George's you get to interact with patients in the first few weeks. You have two GP placements in semester one which consist of interviewing patients for 45 mins in pairs. Also there are community visits. Basically each year you go up the more clinical placement time you get.

It is also integrated in terms of Lectures and PBL/CBL, we have both types teaching here, as well as a lot of interactive sessions.

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Im a 2014 applicant who deferred entry to 2015 and have an offer for medicine A100, happy to help anyone if need be :smile:
Hoping for a reply regarding interview soon! Will they hand out the Jan and March interviews now or closer to the time?

thanks, what's the difference betweel CBL and PBL?
Original post by Nubian_Queen_97
thanks, what's the difference betweel CBL and PBL?

Well I don't really have much experience with PBL (I've only been here 8 weeks :P). CBL is basically were you get a case which is spread over a few pages. The tutor gives you the first sheet and you discuss it with your group, explaining terms and if there's something that you guys don't know, you make that a learning objective. Then the next sheet is given out and you do the same thing, the next sheet usually tells you what happened to the patient next. Then after the session before the next one you have to find the answers for the learning objectives. Then you come back a next later and spend half the CBL session reviewing the answers you got. Then you start a new case.

I think in PBL you don't just focus on cases every week but medical problems. Although I'm not entirely sure. You might want to ask someone in the higher years. Sorry!! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending