The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Paris is a bit of a ****hole though, full of pretentious French *****, with much worse job prospects than London. Would live in Nice or somewhere when I'm old. French girls are the worst as well, the arrogance is unreal.

NYC would be fun but I cant stand Americans in all honesty, they just do my head in after a while.

London is the best city in the world tbh

I generally agree with this, so no chance of you going back to the Netherlands in the future then?
Original post by Tom_Ford
They are severely overrated anyway. They smoke too much and rely on their obsession with their 'bling'.

German girls on the other hand... but then again, I am biased. Worldies everywhere.

More down to earth, you can just go a bar and chill with a German chick whereas a French girl expects you to bring her to some Bohemian restaurant and then cycle her home in the basket of your bike like some ****ing piece of film noir.

What amazes me about the French as well when they talk about Paris is just how much of a ****hole it is. Outside the very small tourist areas the place is a culture-less, crime ridden hole and yet they talk about the place as a bastion of civilisation. That's why every Frenchman with prospects lives in South Ken these days :laugh:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I generally agree with this, so no chance of you going back to the Netherlands in the future then?

It's hard to think of an advantage of Amsterdam over London really. I like to visit but that's a 30m flight away and that'll do me.

Plus I like being 6'3 in London where you can be known as ''that tall fella'' more than in Holland where its unremarkable :wink:
Original post by The Assassin
Classes/lessons. Both in school (well, when I was back there) and out (currently). Don't think I'd be able to do it all myself lel.

Good good man, it'll get you far specially with your degree which is worldwide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich
More down to earth, you can just go a bar and chill with a German chick whereas a French girl expects you to bring her to some Bohemian restaurant and then cycle her home in the basket of your bike like some ****ing piece of film noir.

What amazes me about the French as well when they talk about Paris is just how much of a ****hole it is. Outside the very small tourist areas the place is a culture-less, crime ridden hole and yet they talk about the place as a bastion of civilisation. That's why every Frenchman with prospects lives in South Ken these days :laugh:

The suburbs are basically just one big banlieue filled with the worst scum imaginable - think about your typical El Hadji Diouf types and you'll get a pretty good approximation of the types that dwell there. And Paris itself stinks of ****, there is **** everywhere.

Cologne is the place my friend, ancestral homeland (well part of) of Tom Ford. Naturally pretty girls everywhere. Best place I've been in Europe has been Stockholm tbh, was a 17 year old and managed to get into the clubs there... some of the best nights of my life there.
Original post by Zürich

Was confused but get what you mean. There's so many of them there :laugh:. Area around Gloucester road too
It's not just the girls, the French people I have personally come across when I was studying in London were ridiculously arrogant and condescending to the British way of doing things. They were also incredibly cliquey, chose to only hang around other French students and only speak French. Why did you bother studying in the UK ffs.

I was in a halls that had almost majority international students, and it was interesting to observe the way foreign students adapted to life in London. The Scandinavian students were very cool and engaged well with the home students. As were the Eastern Europeans, but I think maybe because there were less of them so they put themselves out there more. But they spoke good English and were a friendly bunch. LOADS of far-eastern students (Malays, Singaporeans, HK mainly) who were also quite cliquey but weren't acting like dicks like the French who were the second biggest group after the East Asians. At least the Asians just kept to themselves and didn't annoy anyone.

All the other European students were pretty safe.
(edited 9 years ago)
Have never liked the French. But hey, it is not just a French thing, it's the Francophone nature. And then more specifically Ile-De-France. I am looking at little countries like Belgium in particular who embarrassingly choose to adopt this French way of being.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Have never liked the French. But hey, it is not just a French thing, it's the Francophone nature. And then more specifically Ile-De-France. I am looking at little countries like Belgium in particular who embarrassingly choose to adopt this French way of being.

Hmm the Belgians I've met were alright actually, they spoke really good English and tended to mix with us more. Even though they were an extended part of the French clique they didn't really convey the same arrogance and snidey attitude.

It's surprising at how bad the French are at speaking English compared to most European countries. Even if they know it they choose not to speak it as if its an embarrassment to their country or some **** :s-smilie:
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Did you guys start applying at start of final uni year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

for me, I started applying around christmas (non-gradscheme jobs) the job I eventually got, I applied for around march, was invited to an interview in early may, and they gave me the job 2 days after my final exam later in may..

For timings it really depends on what field you want to go in for.. if its grad-schemes and the like, then start as soon as possible..

But for me, none of my areas really have grad schemes, and all the jobs I was applying for usually required you to start working as soon as possible.. so I was never really going to get anything until nearing my final days at uni, as that was the only time I could tell them 'well I can start when you want' instead of before when I had to say ' I am avialiable to start in X months'

--

I would say though, its never to early to prepare.. With my current sector in mind, I started to build up experiance and work, some voluntary and some paid, that would suit my end goal, from the start of my 2nd year at uni.. by my 3rd year I had added an extra 8 short-term positions to my work history, and a ton of extra skills/experiance..

**** knows how I've only just seen this.
Original post by Isometrix
Hmm the Belgians I've met were alright actually, they spoke really good English and tended to mix with us more. Even though they were an extended part of the French clique they didn't really convey the same arrogance and snidey attitude.

It's surprising at how bad the French are at speaking English compared to most European countries. Even if they know it they choose not to speak it as if its an embarrassment to their country or some **** :s-smilie:

I like belgians.

But most french people I know spoke good french. Only people I really had a problem with were the chinese.
Belgians/Dutchmen are a good bunch. Went to Belgium for a festival 2 years ago and the locals were really friendly. Everyone spoke fluent English too, one thing I'll never agree with is how lots of people on the "mainland" can speak English as fluently as their mother tongue, whilst most of us know little beyond guten tag/bonjour. Should be compulsory to learn a foreign language at school tbh.

We had to do French or German in Years 7-9 but it was never taken seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Belgians/Dutchmen are a good bunch. Went to Belgium for a festival 2 years ago and the locals were really friendly. Everyone spoke fluent English too, one thing I'll never agree with is how lots of people on the "mainland" can speak English as fluently as their mother tongue, whilst most of us know little beyond guten tag/bonjour. Should be compulsory to learn a foreign language at school tbh.

We had to do French or German in Years 7-9 but it was never taken seriously

100%.

Brits are ignorant bastards though, we go abroad and don't bother learning anything cos 'they'll speak English anyway'. For the past two years I've been learning Spanish in my spare time, doing it self taught. Not fluent but would be able to be dropped off in a Spanish speaking country and handle myself which is better than most I suppose. I feel like I could be doing a lot more than I am though.

I'm a bit pissed off we leave it so late before we learn languages in schools. Should be taught as soon as you start, better capacity for learning.
Got interview for marketing firm through hustle. Just persisted and was a nuisance.
Agree with the above, taught myself german to a satisfactory standard and will hopefully start learning some spanish too, cba with french never liked the language. Would love to be able to rock up and speak 10/11 languages fluently one day but thats unlikely unless I end up living in those countries.

Schools definitely don't make MFL interesting enough.
Original post by Wilfred Little
100%.

Brits are ignorant bastards though, we go abroad and don't bother learning anything cos 'they'll speak English anyway'. For the past two years I've been learning Spanish in my spare time, doing it self taught. Not fluent but would be able to be dropped off in a Spanish speaking country and handle myself which is better than most I suppose. I feel like I could be doing a lot more than I am though.

I'm a bit pissed off we leave it so late before we learn languages in schools. Should be taught as soon as you start, better capacity for learning.

I've been meaning to do that with German for years. Never had the time when I was at uni.

Maybe now is a good time to start as I have recently been laid off from my job :pierre:
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Agree with the above, taught myself german to a satisfactory standard and will hopefully start learning some spanish too, cba with french never liked the language. Would love to be able to rock up and speak 10/11 languages fluently one day but thats unlikely unless I end up living in those countries.

Schools definitely don't make MFL interesting enough.

They should just stick pictures of hot foreign girls on the walls of classrooms - that should put the message across.
Original post by sr90
I've been meaning to do that with German for years. Never had the time when I was at uni.

Maybe now is a good time to start as I have recently been laid off from my job :pierre:

Any particular reason for German? I was originally going to learn it but apparently it's horrendously difficult so I changed my mind and picked Spanish, plus someone sent me the stuff for it. Spanish is quite easy tbh.

Torrent Michel Thomas & Pimsleur courses. The Michel Thomas course is top notch just whack it on your iPod/phone and you're done. I was speaking in sentences after a week or so.

Latest