The Student Room Group

Birmingham Uni vs. Warwick for History

Hey, which one's better?

I could take an unconditional from Birmingham or try to get 3As and go to Warwick...I like them both for different reasons (but Warwick was my favorite to start with)
I've analysed it too much and I'm not sure which one to choose now - has anyone got any advice/insight? :confused:

Any comments on uni life, the course, accommodation or pros and cons will be very helpful :smile:

Thanks
They're both excellent universities, to be honest, so I think it's down the personal preferences :smile:. You could have a look at the sub-forums for the universities and talk with other applicants and current students. That might help you decide. You can find them here - Birmingham and Warwick. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by amiemay
Hey, which one's better?

I could take an unconditional from Birmingham or try to get 3As and go to Warwick...I like them both for different reasons (but Warwick was my favorite to start with)
I've analysed it too much and I'm not sure which one to choose now - has anyone got any advice/insight? :confused:

Any comments on uni life, the course, accommodation or pros and cons will be very helpful :smile:

Thanks

I went to the Birmingham open day and tbh wasn't impressed. The talk was very bland and uninformative. Also the accommodation wasn't nice (except the very expensive, newly built one).

I'd go with Warwick if I were you. Do you have other offers that you could use as insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by BobbieShamrock
I went to the Birmingham open day and tbh wasn't impressed. The talk was very bland and uninformative. Also the accommodation wasn't nice (except the very expensive, newly built one).

I'd go with Warwick if I were you. Do you have other offers that you could use as insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I do - Ive got an offer from Royal Holloway for ABB which is a good backup I think and I do like it there too.

Maybe I'll have to visit the unis again :rolleyes: it was the same when i went to Birmingham - I really liked it and feel I'd really enjoy it there, but a part of me wasn't completely convinced (but i can't work out why)

And thanks for the advice on the accommodation (I didn't have time to look at it when I visited) - is there a big difference on the accommodation on campus and that outside it?

Reply 4
Original post by Kittiara
They're both excellent universities, to be honest, so I think it's down the personal preferences :smile:. You could have a look at the sub-forums for the universities and talk with other applicants and current students. That might help you decide. You can find them here - Birmingham and Warwick. Good luck! :smile:

Yeah it is down to personal preference - I just don't know if I should put more weight on the offer or just forget which is easier to get into and look just at which uni I like best...

And thanks for the links - I'll have a look now :biggrin:
Original post by amiemay
Yeah it is down to personal preference - I just don't know if I should put more weight on the offer or just forget which is easier to get into and look just at which uni I like best...

And thanks for the links - I'll have a look now :biggrin:

I think you should go for the Uni you like best. You'll be spending several years there, so you might as well opt for the one that impresses you the most on every level.
Original post by amiemay
Hey, which one's better?

Thanks

But Warwick has the rowers :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amiemay
Yeah I do - Ive got an offer from Royal Holloway for ABB which is a good backup I think and I do like it there too.

Maybe I'll have to visit the unis again :rolleyes: it was the same when i went to Birmingham - I really liked it and feel I'd really enjoy it there, but a part of me wasn't completely convinced (but i can't work out why)

And thanks for the advice on the accommodation (I didn't have time to look at it when I visited) - is there a big difference on the accommodation on campus and that outside it?

I live right by Royal Holloway! Definitely a really lovely area and a good back up :smile: Tbh I think it has a better reputation than Birmingham anyway, despite not being a Russell Group uni.

Yeah I agree maybe visit again, and have a look at the accommodation. I didn't actually look at accommodation outside the campus, so idk maybe that's nicer.

Good luck! Whatever you choose I'm sure it'll turn out fine.
Reply 8
Original post by AspiringMedic8
But Warwick has the rowers :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good point.

(that's the main reason one of my friends has her heart set on the place :tongue:)
Original post by amiemay
Good point.

(that's the main reason one of my friends has her heart set on the place :tongue:)

If all of the men at Warwick look like that, then sign me up right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amiemay
Hey, which one's better?

Thanks

I am in the same situation as you! I am opting for Warwick because it has a lovely america feel to it, and of course ranked higher. Even though birmingham gave me an unconditional, I would like to maintain my motivation, which I feel would decline if I went with that offer
Original post by amiemay

Wow! That's exactly what I intend to use as my insurance, because the founders building was just beautiful. Royal holloway has a fantastic atmosphere, and is my second choice campus uni
Reply 12
Original post by Magnus Taylor
I am in the same situation as you! I am opting for Warwick because it has a lovely america feel to it, and of course ranked higher. Even though birmingham gave me an unconditional, I would like to maintain my motivation, which I feel would decline if I went with that offer

Wow that's strange - we obviously both have good taste :biggrin: and i feel the same about Birmingham I think - but it's so tempting and it's still a really good uni...
and what do you mean it has an american feel? I loved Warwick when I visited but I also kinda feel like they put a lot of marketing into it and maybe I'm swayed more by how good their open day was and the rank of the uni than the uni itself? (but that's probably just me over-analysing) :tongue:
Does it bother you that both Royal Holloway and Warwick are kind of in the middle of nowhere? I think that's the one advantage Birmingham has :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest