The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steliata
I went to see Mockingjay today.

Oh my goodness, it was amazing.

Ah lucky you, I can't wait to see it :biggrin: I probably won't get to see it until after my mocks though, which end on the 2nd December.
What's everyone thinking of doing for A Levels? I know that I want to do English Lit, Psychology and Sociology but I don't know what to pick for my fourth subject. Originally I was trying to choose between R.S and Spanish but realistically I don't think I'm good enough at either subject to do them at A Level. I was thinking of choosing either History or Politics as my fourth option. I don't currently do History at GCSE and, although my head of year and head of sixth form said I would be allowed to do it, I'm worried that I would struggle. Argh, decisions :s-smilie:
Does anyone else have overly **** GCSE target grades or is it just me? Like I'm achieving A's but my target grades are like D's & the school isn't even changing it! So pissed... Not gonna get any offers now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kid_kangaroo
Does anyone else have overly **** GCSE target grades or is it just me? Like I'm achieving A's but my target grades are like D's & the school isn't even changing it! So pissed... Not gonna get any offers now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school are the reverse, I'm targeted all A*s when I'm never going to achieve it...
Original post by Martie08
My school are the reverse, I'm targeted all A*s when I'm never going to achieve it...

I know the feeling. Seriously, how the heck am I gonna get a C in French. I can't even count to ten in that language.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely understand. It's ridiculous. My school do it so they can say oh look how many kids achieved above the target grade and they 'don't want to get our hopes up'. Don't exactly take into consideration people actually look at these predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Purple-Pixie
Ah lucky you, I can't wait to see it :biggrin: I probably won't get to see it until after my mocks though, which end on the 2nd December.

Yeah, we had a convenient inset day :ahee: and I hope you get to see it. It's fab
Hi! I'm Emma :biggrin:. I'm doing Triple Science, Maths, English Literature, English Language, Further Maths, Geography, French, Philosophy and Ethics, ICT and (if I can handle it) an AS Level in Critical Thinking.

When I finish Year 11 I'm hoping to study English Literature, Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A-Level as well as doing an extended project (did the level 2 one last year and actually enjoyed it, haha). And then I want to go on to study Medicine or Veterinary Medicine- not quite sure which one yet, struggling to decide!

Hobbies and interests... Swimming, ice skating, drawing, photography, music... I always find this quite a hard question because between schoolwork and some form of social life I don't have any other time for hobbies which is actually really bad... Haha, oh well.

I was lulled into a false sense of security when Year 11 started, everything seemed fine and calm but now I haven't stopped since the start of November! It's just a constant stream of work!

How's everyone finding the mock exams (if you're doing them now)?

(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are your predicted grades different from target grades? Our school base our target grades on SATs that we did in Year 6 (seriously- it's so stupid), so mine are all B's but our teachers give us different predicted grades which are what we are actually expected to get and I'm applying to colleges with my predicted grades instead of target grades because they are much better!
Original post by emmaalouisee
Are your predicted grades different from target grades? Our school base our target grades on SATs that we did in Year 6 (seriously- it's so stupid), so mine are all B's but our teachers give us different predicted grades which are what we are actually expected to get and I'm applying to colleges with my predicted grades instead of target grades because they are much better!

Wait, what? That is so stupid, it makes no sense xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX
Wait, what? That is so stupid, it makes no sense xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the same at my school, but mine are listed as A*s for both anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi is anyone able to help me with this?
Thanks in advance if anyone can!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2986015

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kimberlymegsx
Hey guys, I'm choosing my a-levels and I'm really stuck on what to do. I want to do medicine in the future so I'm doing bio and chem. I want to take 2 more and my choices are between:
Psychology
English Lang
And health and social care
Any advice on what I should choose?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you considered maths? All my teachers advised me to do it when i mentioned medicine; not only because it is favourable but because in the sciences, in particular chemistry, many people at my school find it really difficult without Alevel maths :smile: Out of those, i would advise against health and social care as i heard its a "soft" option:confused: so psychology and english lang :smile: Why not do lang lit? or Lit as it is a facilitating subject but lang is not, so you could get an advantage there having three :smile: I still would say maths though :smile:

i think i am doing chemistry, bio, psychology and maths :smile: was conisdering lit or religious studies for a while but then was like naaaaah haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe its just their tactic to make you stay at their school :wink: but that sucks, talk to them? Maybe after the mocks if you get A's
anyone else have loads of stuff to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, I am targeted all B's since year 7 till now because they based it of my SATs when I know that I should get all A's. Tbh go personally and ask your teachers what they think what you would get, and you know what you are capable of getting. What about mocks, if you get really good and all your other tests then they should boost them up.
Original post by guitaristemily

Revision for mocks getting worried now
damn you vba
Original post by guitaristemily

Yep lots of CA's and revision for mocks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Izzyyyyy
Have you considered maths? All my teachers advised me to do it when i mentioned medicine; not only because it is favourable but because in the sciences, in particular chemistry, many people at my school find it really difficult without Alevel maths :smile: Out of those, i would advise against health and social care as i heard its a "soft" option:confused: so psychology and english lang :smile: Why not do lang lit? or Lit as it is a facilitating subject but lang is not, so you could get an advantage there having three :smile: I still would say maths though :smile:

i think i am doing chemistry, bio, psychology and maths :smile: was conisdering lit or religious studies for a while but then was like naaaaah haha :smile:

They sound great choices, do you want to do medicine too?:smile: Since posting I've definitely decided chem bio and psychology. I'm thinking of doing English lit or lang at AS because I feel like 4 a-levels is a bit much tbh. I know maths is what I should be taking but I just can't stand it, Its always been my worst subject tbh, like I don't mind the maths within science but I just hate maths on its own! :confused: thankyou for the advice though it's very helpful. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest