The Student Room Group

What are good a level grades?

In your opinion. And by good I don't just mean acceptable or outstanding either, I mean where you respect someone as being smart (but not genius).

Where you hear their grades and genuinely think "oh that's good" as opposed to "hmm average"

I am interested in what people perceive as good average outstanding and poor..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When I get an E in my homeworks, a classmate who gets a C is a genius. If I get a C in my homework, the classmate who gets a B is a genius. When I get a B in my homework, an A is the best. When I get an A-- okay, I don't get As.
For me. I'd like AAAa. However, I don't judge people on how smart they are or how well they do in exams. Poor is relative to how youthink you did. For some people C might be ppoor. However for others it might be a real achievement.
Outstanding: A*A*A*A
Good: AAAB
Average: ABBB
Poor: BBCC
Original post by suirrel
When I get an E in my homeworks, a classmate who gets a C is a genius. If I get a C in my homework, the classmate who gets a B is a genius. When I get a B in my homework, an A is the best. When I get an A-- okay, I don't get As.

Repped! Haha! Made me laugh!!
Original post by emmaalouisee

Four a levels?

Perfect answer. Outstanding OP. *
Original post by plasmaman
Four a levels?

The fourth doesn't necessarily have to be a hard subject, could be something like Critical Thinking... Though if we're talking going into something like Medicine or Veterinary Medicine, it's not uncommon to do four A-Levels!
Reply 8
The fourth doesn't necessarily have to be a hard subject, could be something like Critical Thinking... Though if we're talking going into something like Medicine or Veterinary Medicine, it's not uncommon to do four A-Levels!

Incorrect, most schools do not really let students take "proper" 4th A2 levels and medicine/veterinary schools do not give any advantage to students who take 4 A2 levels.
AAA.
Grades that get you onto the course you want to do at uni. That's all that matters anyway. If you're not going to do anything post college/6th form, then who cares what you get. It's personal preference
AAA- Excellent
AAB/ABB- Very Good
BBB- Good
BBC- decent
BCC- Average

ABB or above. It's what you need to get into a Russell Group for a good course and meets/exceeds the criteria for the vast majority of graduate schemes. ABB was enough to get people into law at Manchester and Birmingham this year and in previous years.
(edited 9 years ago)
A*A*A: outstanding
AAA: very good
AAB: good
ABB: decent
BBB: ok
under: ****
yeah I would agree with above, however "good a levels" differs from person to person as long as they achieve there aspirational grades that is good for them. But what I cant seem to understand ARE people who say 'im happy with a C or B.'
I'd probably say that ABB is reasonably respectable, but anything above BBC is decent.
I think ABB is pretty good
anything less than A*A*A* is disgusting
Original post by R Dragon
I think ABB is pretty good

agreed. ABB is a respectable set of results especially in strong subjects.

If you took sociology and media then I expect A*'s
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
agreed. ABB is a respectable set of results especially in strong subjects.

If you took sociology and media then I expect A*'s

Sociology was my hardest A-level...

Quick Reply

Latest