The Student Room Group

deferred entry offers 2016

Hi, I couldn't find a thread about deferred entry offers so thought I'd create this one. I haven't received any offers yet and was wondering if perhaps deferred offers are sent a lot later than those for immediate entry?

Whatever the case, this would be a good place to update us all on whether you have deferred entry offers or not!
It depends on the uni. I have 4/5 replies, and 3/5 offers, and whilst two were quite speedy, I did have to wait quite a while on Exeter, and I'm still waiting on QMUL, who have been giving very fast offers.
I'm applying for deferred entry, and one uni responded with an interview invitation in under 24 hours (York), but none of the others have responded yet. It really just depends on the admissions team.
Reply 3
oh wow, congratulations! Where are your offers from?
I wasn't sure if universities waited until the bulk of applications had been received before considering deferred entry. Nice to know people are getting offers!
Certain unis wait more I think, like UCL say that they consider all applications equally if they make the January deadline. I don't think the deferred entry thing should make a lot of difference.

I've got an interview and offer from York, and an offer from Aberdeen, but that's all so far.
Reply 5
Yeah, I know for sure that two of my choices will take ages to send offers, however I'm wanting one soon from one of my other choices! I'm a fairly strong languages applicant so I would have thought unis would be dying to have me haha, what will all the talk of declining language skills...
Reply 6
Yeah, I know for sure that two of my choices will take ages to send offers, however I'm wanting one soon from one of my other choices! I'm a fairly strong languages applicant so I would have thought unis would be dying to have me haha, what will all the talk of declining language skills...

congrats on your offers!
Original post by mfljunkie
oh wow, congratulations! Where are your offers from?
I wasn't sure if universities waited until the bulk of applications had been received before considering deferred entry. Nice to know people are getting offers!

Was this aimed at me? It's easier if you use the quote function in future.,

I have offers from Exeter, Bath Spa and Aberystwyth.

Some places are holding out before considering deferred entry (I know Bristol do this), but in the cases of Bath Spa and Aber, they were clearly just happy to accept me straight away.
Reply 8
Original post by loperdoper
Was this aimed at me? It's easier if you use the quote function in future.,

I have offers from Exeter, Bath Spa and Aberystwyth.

Some places are holding out before considering deferred entry (I know Bristol do this), but in the cases of Bath Spa and Aber, they were clearly just happy to accept me straight away.

Oh right, thank you! I'm new to this! Nice, well done!
Sad to hear about the Bristol thing, they're totally my first choice ha!
Original post by mfljunkie
Oh right, thank you! I'm new to this! Nice, well done!
Sad to hear about the Bristol thing, they're totally my first choice ha!

Yeah, I took Bristol off my consideration list because of their somewhat negative view on deferred entry. I wanted to apply for their MSci in Biology, as I get contextual offers I could have probably made the offer, but they give higher than normal offers for deferred so it would have been too high for me again.
Reply 10
Original post by loperdoper
Yeah, I took Bristol off my consideration list because of their somewhat negative view on deferred entry. I wanted to apply for their MSci in Biology, as I get contextual offers I could have probably made the offer, but they give higher than normal offers for deferred so it would have been too high for me again.

Oh no, I wasn't aware they were averse to it! Though of course it is only natural that universities consider their numbers and such. For my course, it says, '[deferred entry is] considered but places are limited to ensure fairness to applicants applying the following year.'

Wow, I didn't know they give higher offers for deferred entry! That means me offer would more likely be AAA... argh!

Reply 11
Just an update for the deferred entry offers front:
I got a conditional offer from King's College London
yay!
Hi

Just wondering. I finished college last June and therefore have my results. Have applied to various uni's for 2015 start and have had 3 unconditional so far. I am in a gap year and pursuing a music career and have had some interest in that area. I haven't firmed any of my offers but am wondering whether I should defer my uni until 2016 and give my music a bit longer (btw the courses I have applied for are musical based).

Should I therefore accept an offer now and then defer maybe in June if things are looking good and keep uni as a back up if thing don't work out. Are uni's understanding with regards to this and also considering the reason I may defer is course related somewhat.
Thanks for any advice.
Reply 13
I applied on the 1st October for a mix of politics and French and so far I've been rejected by Cambridge, I've got an offer from Sheffield and had an interview at UCL, and I'm still waiting on them, KCL and LSE.
I asked about deferral at the Exeter open day, and they suggested applying for 2015 and deferring after I've got my offer and firmed them . The lady said they are happy to give deferral, and grade requirements for my course could go up as the course is new. I'm going on a gap year, so really want everything sorted before I go

Quick Reply

Latest