The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by furryface12
Volunteering? Take up a new hobby or improve on one you already have? Improve on your A levels or take up new ones? Work experience? Travelling? There's loads you can do! I'm taking one at the minute, I only even decided to in June and even then didn't have a clue what I wanted to do, so don't feel you have to be too set on things just yet :redface:

Original post by tara8000
mmmaannggoooo sup

ok, firstly, what sort of job would you be looking for? one just to build up the bank, or one that would be relevant to the course you want to do at uni?

(and the gap year is so you can decide what to do... so it doesn't matter if you have no idea now :wink: )

I should probably mention that I have to live by myself during the year (probably with a couple of friends who will be living in the same city), so I need a job to pay rent and bills :tongue: My friends have suggested finding companies that would want to take me on for the prospect of hiring me after uni (not that I would want to go into the private sector, but they don't need to know that :lol:)
Original post by MangoFreak
I should probably mention that I have to live by myself during the year (probably with a couple of friends who will be living in the same city), so I need a job to pay rent and bills :tongue: My friends have suggested finding companies that would want to take me on for the prospect of hiring me after uni (not that I would want to go into the private sector, but they don't need to know that :lol:)

In which case, if you're in the UK and depending on what you want to do have you looked at something like a year in industry? http://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry

ah ok, so money is a must :tongue: .... how far are you willing to move for a job? like would you be willing to move to a really cheap area with cheap shops etc? because then you could probably worry abit less bout costs :tongue:

hey there's the whole you could go abroad as an au pair (who even knows how to spell?)- live with a family while being a foreign language nanny :wink:... but yeah that's not by yourself...

I think your friends' advice would be a convenient option to take... just bummer that you don't exactly want to work as part of that sector.... maybe look into non-private sector schemes you could get into? they may not exist but its a place you could start looking :wink:

edit: furryface is on the case! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by furryface12
In which case, if you're in the UK and depending on what you want to do have you looked at something like a year in industry? http://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry

Best link ever :awesome: Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by tara8000
ah ok, so money is a must :tongue: .... how far are you willing to move for a job? like would you be willing to move to a really cheap area with cheap shops etc? because then you could probably worry abit less bout costs :tongue:

hey there's the whole you could go abroad as an au pair (who even knows how to spell?)- live with a family while being a foreign language nanny :wink:... but yeah that's not by yourself...

I think your friends' advice would be a convenient option to take... just bummer that you don't exactly want to work as part of that sector.... maybe look into non-private sector schemes you could get into? they may not exist but its a place you could start looking :wink:

edit: furryface is on the case! :biggrin:

I have absolutely no limit to where I could move within the UK (hell even within the EU, probably) so long as I can not die there. I'd ideally live in Norwich since that's where these two friends of mine are applying to uni (the Norwich University of Arts, which doesn't have accommodation, so they have to live privately apparently, with ME :biggrin:)
Original post by Bude8

Yeah, ChemEng via NST :smile:

Yup, I know, but it's really fun to play and I can play it at a decent speed :lol: Took my pro friend a few months and he's played for 5 years ish, that's why I think it'll take me at least a year even if I solely focus on it :lol: I'm really liking the other songs from that album though (Suspended Animation), they sound great but I don't know if they'll be like Glasgow Kiss in terms of difficulty :redface: and they use multiple guitars :frown:

Ah ok, so I'm guessing you spent the morning in the city then, before the actual offer holder day thing took place? I think the website says the ChemEng dep will do one, probably after New Year's then.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great. :biggrin:

You clearly seem to be progressing quickly with that song, you sure do have determination. :tongue: Haha, yeah, once you can play multiple guitars at once then we'll know you've turned pro! :lol:

I actually had a wander round the city the night before - I stayed over in uni accommodation because I live up North, hence kind of impossible to travel down in one day. (I'd definitely recommend booking out rooms if you want to get a feel for the place, they have like a university "hotel" where you can stay in actual student rooms.) I spent the morning walking all around the campus, which was a lot smaller than I'd imagined. :redface: I had a great time in all though, hopefully you will too if you get invited down. :smile:
Original post by drowninginsound
Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great. :biggrin:

You clearly seem to be progressing quickly with that song, you sure do have determination. :tongue: Haha, yeah, once you can play multiple guitars at once then we'll know you've turned pro! :lol:

I actually had a wander round the city the night before - I stayed over in uni accommodation because I live up North, hence kind of impossible to travel down in one day. (I'd definitely recommend booking out rooms if you want to get a feel for the place, they have like a university "hotel" where you can stay in actual student rooms.) I spent the morning walking all around the campus, which was a lot smaller than I'd imagined. :redface: I had a great time in all though, hopefully you will too if you get invited down. :smile:

I love the campus! Small = convenient :lol: Maybe I could live on the campus for the whole year :rofl:

I'm going to buy a 7 string guitar and learn Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement :moon: and eventually, I'll be able to play that and Glasgow Kiss simultaneously. not.
Best link ever :awesome: Thanks! :biggrin:

Haha no problem- glad it helped! Thanks for the rep, too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have absolutely no limit to where I could move within the UK (hell even within the EU, probably) so long as I can not die there. I'd ideally live in Norwich since that's where these two friends of mine are applying to uni (the Norwich University of Arts, which doesn't have accommodation, so they have to live privately apparently, with ME :biggrin:)

NUA gave out awesome pencils at UCAS conventions :cool:
Original post by Bude8
I love the campus! Small = convenient :lol: Maybe I could live on the campus for the whole year :rofl:

I'm going to buy a 7 string guitar and learn Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement :moon: and eventually, I'll be able to play that and Glasgow Kiss simultaneously. not.

I love the campus too! The new accommodation is amazing... and you could definitely dash to lectures within 5 minutes if necessary. :tongue:

Haha, now that is something I'd like to see. :wink: I saw a classical guitarist at an open mic night last week and he played Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag, which was awesome - I used to know it on piano but I definitely want to try to learn it that way. :biggrin:
Anybody here that studies History? :smile:

Have you finished your Part A/B coursework? :s-smilie: What period are you studying?
Does your teacher mark your coursework and send that mark to the examiners or do the examiners mark it purely externally? Do you prefer exam/coursework? :reel:

I'm studying Britain's relationship with its African empire c1870-1981. I just handed in Part B which is a 111 year essay based on your knowledge. I'm about to start Part A source based but on a specific 5 year period of my choice. Wbu? :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by drowninginsound
I love the campus too! The new accommodation is amazing... and you could definitely dash to lectures within 5 minutes if necessary. :tongue:

Haha, now that is something I'd like to see. :wink: I saw a classical guitarist at an open mic night last week and he played Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag, which was awesome - I used to know it on piano but I definitely want to try to learn it that way. :biggrin:

Ah good old Scott Joplin! I tried learning that on the piano at one point :moon:

Do you know the name of the new accommodation blocks you looked at? I was browsing through on the virtual tour on the website but I didn't know which one was the new one lol
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
NUA gave out awesome pencils at UCAS conventions :cool:

:lol: How awesome? My friends never showed me any pencils.
:lol: How awesome? My friends never showed me any pencils.

Hi there ole buddy ole pall'
Hows ye doing these days?
:biggrin:
Original post by thatitootoo
Hi there ole buddy ole pall'
Hows ye doing these days?
:biggrin:

Oh hey :biggrin: Things have been good; I got a job recently. I don't come on TSR as much as I used to, obviously :tongue: How are you?
Forever working...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh hey :biggrin: Things have been good; I got a job recently. I don't come on TSR as much as I used to, obviously :tongue: How are you?

That's great! Well done you! xP
I'm okkk, I finally got my Dutch A-level last year...:tongue: Trying to attack A-level German now; ES IST SO SCHWIERIG :redface: :tongue:
How's everyone getting on with offers/interviews? :smile: anyone sure about where they would most like to go? :h:
Original post by Changing Skies
How's everyone getting on with offers/interviews? :smile: anyone sure about where they would most like to go? :h:

Offers from Bristol and Bath.
Interview at Cambridge.
Durham and St Andrews leaving me hanging.

Want to go to Bristol. If I get an offer from Cambridge though I'll go there :biggrin:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Offers from Bristol and Bath.
Interview at Cambridge.
Durham and St Andrews leaving me hanging.

Want to go to Bristol. If I get an offer from Cambridge though I'll go there :biggrin:

Eek that's amazing :smile: when is your Cambridge interview? Oh typical Durham :colonhash:

Sounds wonderful, either way you'll be at an excellent university :tongue:

Latest