The Student Room Group

Ethical Consumption Assignment

Hi,

I'm in the process of doing an assignment and one section needs to cover how ethical consumption and the role of people can drive business responsibility/to be more ethical.

I'm a bit unsure of how to tackle this. I need to critically analyse, and include models/frameworks.

Blow are my ideas/plan for structuring this section so far, I'd really appreciate any input, or guidance on whether you think i'm going along the right track!

1. Defining consumption and consumerism and how its developed over time.

2. Consumer Sovereignty and how consumers have the power to exercise social control over business through purchasing.
Counter argument: that business is fundamentally motivated by profit maximisation.

3. Boycotts: highlighting Friedman's Boycott theory.

4. Discussion of ethical consumerism, and how this doesn't equate to evidence of ethical practices taken place. e.g. socially desirable answers.

5. How ethical consumption has been viewed as a 'niche', but ethical branding is growing

6. Examples of where businesses have turned down financial offerings, in the name of ethics & consumer concerns.

I've also thought about including how consumers potentially are not willing to purchase ethical products if it means the cost is significantly higher. But I'm not sure whether this is relevant?

Any ideas/help would be great!

Thanks! :rolleyes:
Reply 1
Original post by x-Natalie-x
Hi,

I'm in the process of doing an assignment and one section needs to cover how ethical consumption and the role of people can drive business responsibility/to be more ethical.

I'm a bit unsure of how to tackle this. I need to critically analyse, and include models/frameworks.

Blow are my ideas/plan for structuring this section so far, I'd really appreciate any input, or guidance on whether you think i'm going along the right track!

1. Defining consumption and consumerism and how its developed over time.

2. Consumer Sovereignty and how consumers have the power to exercise social control over business through purchasing.
Counter argument: that business is fundamentally motivated by profit maximisation.

3. Boycotts: highlighting Friedman's Boycott theory.

4. Discussion of ethical consumerism, and how this doesn't equate to evidence of ethical practices taken place. e.g. socially desirable answers.

5. How ethical consumption has been viewed as a 'niche', but ethical branding is growing

6. Examples of where businesses have turned down financial offerings, in the name of ethics & consumer concerns.

I've also thought about including how consumers potentially are not willing to purchase ethical products if it means the cost is significantly higher. But I'm not sure whether this is relevant?

Any ideas/help would be great!

Thanks! :rolleyes:

i will try to help

link your last idea with number 4

pleaase tell me what you mean by ethical
Reply 2
Original post by jumjum
i will try to help

link your last idea with number 4

pleaase tell me what you mean by ethical

Thanks! By ethical I mean corporate social responsibility…

not testing on animals
free range produce
offering fair trade products
proactive in campaigns e.g. fighting aids
ensuring fair wages of employees
not using child labour/ pro actively fighting it etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending