The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
I looked at a few past papers and it honestly looks beyond easy. In fact it's kind of annoying that a person can end up with AAA by doing subjects like Sociology, Media and Business which I would argue is the same as getting CCC in subjects like Maths, History, Biology and Physics.

Dude that's so not true .____________________.

sociology is one of the hardest A-levels imo

I know I replied to you on another thread but still....
Original post by R Dragon
Dude that's so not true .____________________.

sociology is one of the hardest A-levels imo

I know I replied to you on another thread but still....

Like I said, it is subjective since different people are good at different things but Sociology doesn't even come close to how hard the sciences or traditional humanities are.
Shhhhhh, we don't tell them that!
Like I said, it is subjective since different people are good at different things but Sociology doesn't even come close to how hard the sciences or traditional humanities are.

Bah, fair enough

Not that I agree :P
I looked at a few past papers and it honestly looks beyond easy. In fact it's kind of annoying that a person can end up with AAA by doing subjects like Sociology, Media and Business which I would argue is the same as getting CCC in subjects like Maths, History, Biology and Physics.

Have a friend who is doing sociology he said its piss easy and common sense. No I doubt its the same as sociology and media are easy a levels which you can get a good grade with hardly any revision but I know business is tricky but not hard. As for maths and science well im not go in to detail but the are on a different level of difficulty. so o would say getting an Aaa is probally like a D/e for bio dunno about history but E/U for maths and E for physics.
Original post by Project Tsukyomi
Have a friend who is doing sociology he said its piss easy and common sense. No I doubt its the same as sociology and media are easy a levels which you can get a good grade with hardly any revision but I know business is tricky but not hard. As for maths and science well im not go in to detail but the are on a different level of difficulty. so o would say getting an Aaa is probally like a D/e for bio dunno about history but E/U for maths and E for physics.

Agreed. Media and Sociology with AA grades is the same as C/D in the harder subjects. History is a very traditional and hard subject as well.
Totally not true. Part of it is not all of it.
Absolutely.

The fact that the most difficult questions last year were essentially 'what are the consequences of an aging population', and 'explain ethical issues in research' should be enough to put this issue to rest.

The subject, at A-Level at least, is a joke.
I'd have to disagree, to get a good grade in sociology you have to be able to put names and theories to questions which is definitely not common sense. It might not be the hardest subject but it's not exactly easy
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Absolutely.

The fact that the most difficult questions last year were essentially 'what are the consequences of an aging population', and 'explain ethical issues in research' should be enough to put this issue to rest.

The subject, at A-Level at least, is a joke.

Hahaha even worse
....what about General Studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fieldy_xo
I'd have to disagree, to get a good grade in sociology you have to be able to put names and theories to questions which is definitely not common sense. It might not be the hardest subject but it's not exactly easy

Common sense maybe a bit of an exaggeration but it is definitely a joke of a subject. Same with Media.

Even subjects like government & politics are just easier versions of History.

History- C > Politics - A
Common sense maybe a bit of an exaggeration but it is definitely a joke of a subject. Same with Media.

How exactly is it a joke of a subject?
How exactly is it a joke of a subject?

Take a look at the past papers.
Take a look at the past papers.

I've seen the past papers, I've sat the exams.

It's really telling that you can't justify why it's a joke of a subject or explain anything you're saying.

In no way am I saying that it is harder than maths/science subjects but I don't understand how it isn't a relevant subject or a joke as you put it.
I've seen the past papers, I've sat the exams.

It's really telling that you can't justify why it's a joke of a subject or explain anything you're saying.

In no way am I saying that it is harder than maths/science subjects but I don't understand how it isn't a relevant subject or a joke as you put it.

Compared to the hard subjects (Maths, Biology, History, Chemistry) it is far far easier. So much so that it can be considered a joke due to the vast difference in the difficulty required to get an A in those harder subjects compared with it.

As such it cannot, as a subject, be regarded as an accurate indicator of a students ability to think in a critical manner. The inherent ease with which it's possible to attain a good grade in Sociology is at odds with the difficulty in getting a good grade in the more traditional subjects.

Top Universities don't like students taking the subject for a reason, that reason maybe comprehended in simple terms to be the fact that unfortunately it doesn't qualify as a rigorous discipline and is hence a 'joke'.

I see that you maybe applying for Sociology at degree level; my comments regarding the subject are directed at studying it at A-level. If studied at a good University, it then becomes a more rigorous subject.
(edited 9 years ago)

Depending on where I go I might take it as an extra :smile: haha
I wouldn't say it is a joke. You have to remember lots of names for the top marks.
It is not the hardest subject though.
(edited 9 years ago)
FINALLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS

I did sociology GCSE, looked through all the A-level work and it was basically all stuff I covered GCSE.

Why can't chemistry be like that :frown:

Actually Politics AS is piss easy!!! But, A2 gets a lot harder!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I take Sociology at AS and I will have you know that it is not easy sure compared to hard sciences its is less difficult but that does not mean it is easy. Writing a 24 marker is beyond belief is hard it is near on impossible to get 24 on a 24 marker.Although the class work may be easy to understand the exams are horrific

Latest

Trending

Trending