The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just reading through and I'm wondering if any of you have managed to hold down part time jobs at all? I'm currently working in retail and as much as I want to get out, I think I'll need to carry on working if I get on to my chosen course next year as I'll need the money. I'm just worried I won't be able to juggle it with the course and placements. I'm also starting to volunteer with girl guides and would like to carry on with that if I can, on a casual basis if I need to but would I risk taking on too much?
Original post by clara_oswald
Just reading through and I'm wondering if any of you have managed to hold down part time jobs at all? I'm currently working in retail and as much as I want to get out, I think I'll need to carry on working if I get on to my chosen course next year as I'll need the money. I'm just worried I won't be able to juggle it with the course and placements. I'm also starting to volunteer with girl guides and would like to carry on with that if I can, on a casual basis if I need to but would I risk taking on too much?

It's certainly possible but it really does depend on you, hire you get on in placements, the structure of your course etc.

I had a friend who volunteered for cubs and rainbows, did a theatre group, played volleyball and seemed to have a life (seeing friends and family, watching films) on top of doing her planning, assignments and doing well! Not seemingly too stressed either.

However, I always thought that I don't know how she did it. I think partly she was very quick at doing stuff- it didn't take her long to figure out what was needed and what wasn't (eg level of detail in plans). I think she also was very strict on herself with working hours- she would sit down at x time and work solid and hard for y hours, rather than dip in and out, have TV on, get distracted by the million and one other tasks etc. Plus
I think she was a very energetic person, whereas I am someone who is always tired, and if I have to get up to an alarm I'm always very tired.

I'd say maybe give it a try, or at least with one of them. You can always leave if you need to. Remember lots if people do the PGCE with children which takes up more time than your job probably will. But they are probably more used to being so busy all the time!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Speaking of energy...what time do you guys go to sleep and wake up for placement? Just wondering how many hours sleep we get!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have two children, 4 and 18 months, it's very hard! I work set times I work at school until 5 pm then start again at 7-10 every night through the week so I can have weekend off. I'm sure it'll get even more difficult in my next placement. I always do work Sunday night aswel. I suppose you just have to be strict with your self and do what ever works best.
Original post by Airfairy
Speaking of energy...what time do you guys go to sleep and wake up for placement? Just wondering how many hours sleep we get!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I go to bed at 9:30pm, lights off at 10, then I'm up for 6:30. Seems to be working so far.
My year 7 classes are going really well. I gave them a hit too much freedom yesterday and they got a bit rowdy but they're easily contained so it was easy to handle and I absolutely love teaching their class.

But then there's my year 9 class. I see them once a week in the afternoon on a Friday and it is an utter nightmare. I have one side quietly talking but trying to avoid the work set but they'll do it when they are refocused (standard for a Friday afternoon apparently?), and the other side are trying their hardest to play around with me. The class is almost entirely girls and they're just chatty and a bit disrespectful because the teacher let them know I'm a trainee. One of the girls is the class clown and causes most of the chaos. She's calling me Harry (I have the same initials as Harry Potter) and she was climbing around under the desks when I turned around to talk to others.

The class teacher gives me no backup, feedback or advice and she was so casual with them before I took over that they just walk all over me.

I really hate teaching them :frown: They wrote my initials on their workbooks where it asks for teacher name and I just don't feel in control at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I go to bed about 10 every night and im up at half 6 to be in school for half 7. I generally work from half 7 till 8 in the mornings, then teaching (and more work during free periods) then leave school between 3 and 4 depending on whats happening after school and then ill work till about 8pm (with a short break for dinner) then spend time with my husband before bed!
Original post by ParadoxSocks
My year 7 classes are going really well. I gave them a hit too much freedom yesterday and they got a bit rowdy but they're easily contained so it was easy to handle and I absolutely love teaching their class.

But then there's my year 9 class. I see them once a week in the afternoon on a Friday and it is an utter nightmare. I have one side quietly talking but trying to avoid the work set but they'll do it when they are refocused (standard for a Friday afternoon apparently?), and the other side are trying their hardest to play around with me. The class is almost entirely girls and they're just chatty and a bit disrespectful because the teacher let them know I'm a trainee. One of the girls is the class clown and causes most of the chaos. She's calling me Harry (I have the same initials as Harry Potter) and she was climbing around under the desks when I turned around to talk to others.

The class teacher gives me no backup, feedback or advice and she was so casual with them before I took over that they just walk all over me.

I really hate teaching them :frown: They wrote my initials on their workbooks where it asks for teacher name and I just don't feel in control at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the process of sending you a pm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's tough isn't it. I find it hard enough with KS1, can't imagine how I'd get on with Year 9!!!

I always find that when they 'get to me' (i.e. I panic that I'm not in control) they sense it, and that makes it about 10x worse. Could you try making a pun on the Harry Potter thing and seeing how that goes? Start the lesson off with something Harry Pottery, get them all to do something, then talk to them about your expectations, honestly but clearly. You don't mind them enjoying the lessons, in fact you want them to have fun, but you also need to make sure that they get the work done and learn. I'm mainly thinking because if the Harry thing is no longer seen as a thing that annoys you it won't seem like they're misbehaving, so the control will feel back in your court, if that makes sense? Or maybe just put something Harry Potter related on the wall, or wear a Gryffindor scarf or something.

This might be something which only happens in films and TV shows and in reality would go terribly lol.

xxx
Original post by Lucy_jucie
I have two children, 4 and 18 months, it's very hard! I work set times I work at school until 5 pm then start again at 7-10 every night through the week so I can have weekend off. I'm sure it'll get even more difficult in my next placement. I always do work Sunday night aswel. I suppose you just have to be strict with your self and do what ever works best.

Original post by alabelle
I go to bed at 9:30pm, lights off at 10, then I'm up for 6:30. Seems to be working so far.

Looks like we all have similar timings then. I try to be asleep by 10 and get up at 7 which is a lie in for most!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww I have a year 9 class I could have written this word for word for. They do a dirty pun on my name! I try to laugh with them and calmly tell them it's not original because I don't want to let on that it's annoying me. I only have two more lessons with them and I cannot wait to never see them again haha

Original post by Ratchit99
I go to bed about 10 every night and im up at half 6 to be in school for half 7. I generally work from half 7 till 8 in the mornings, then teaching (and more work during free periods) then leave school between 3 and 4 depending on whats happening after school and then ill work till about 8pm (with a short break for dinner) then spend time with my husband before bed!

I feel quite lucky compared as I never work till 8. I do a lot of work at school though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looks like we all have similar timings then. I try to be asleep by 10 and get up at 7 which is a lie in for most!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm getting between 4-5 hours sleep a night... bed about midnight but I have a lot of trouble sleeping now... and I get up at 5:45 to leave at 6.45 because my school's about 30 miles away....
I sleep between 10 and 6 and have to get my train at 6.45am.

I'm really starting to worry that everyone is really stressed and busy and maybe I'm just coasting through. I feel like maybe I'm missing something important or not doing enough :/

I'll reply to my quotes later but thanks for making me feel better. I just think year 9 classes are incredibly hard to work with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really starting to worry that everyone is really stressed and busy and maybe I'm just coasting through. I feel like maybe I'm missing something important or not doing enough :/

I'll reply to my quotes later but thanks for making me feel better. I just think year 9 classes are incredibly hard to work with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Year 9 is generally a very difficult year group. I'm an NQT and my year 9's are so challenging. I have 3 class clowns in there which changes the balance of the classroom depending what mood they are in! What has worked for me is relating to them. I had a nice chat the other day with my most difficult girl in there, when she realised we have more in common than she thinks (similar background) so she is much more willing to work with me rather than against me now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
What has worked for me is relating to them.

Original post by Squoosh25

Hahah!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel the same way, but i'm teaching far less than most of the people here. Just finished my first placement block and in my final week I was only teaching one lesson a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by alabelle
I feel the same way, but i'm teaching far less than most of the people here. Just finished my first placement block and in my final week I was only teaching one lesson a day.

Yeah I know what you both mean. I feel really irresponsible and whenever I'm at home doing nothing, I feel as if there is something I should be doing, even though I am relatively up to date. This is the first weekend where I may have to plan a couple of lessons but they could probably wait until Monday.

The reason for this free time is that I haven't been teaching much at all yet. I haven't taught more than two lessons a week yet, so obviously I've just been doing my planning for those in my free time at school. Next week I am teaching eight, and that is how it will be until Christmas now. It is a lot more stressful planning for eight, which I feel a bit pathetic for saying considering we will eventually be doing 22+ when we get jobs. Speaking of which I've outright decided not to go into teaching. I still want to complete the course though.

We have another trainee at my school who is from a different uni, and she has a lot of free time at school, and is normally in the same workspace as I am. She literally does nothing apart from chat to people and read (fiction not academic) books in her spare time. She then moans at me how she has to work all night and weekend. If she spent her time at school actually doing the work then she would be able to have some time off at home!
Yeah I know what you both mean. I feel really irresponsible and whenever I'm at home doing nothing, I feel as if there is something I should be doing, even though I am relatively up to date. This is the first weekend where I may have to plan a couple of lessons but they could probably wait until Monday.

The reason for this free time is that I haven't been teaching much at all yet. I haven't taught more than two lessons a week yet, so obviously I've just been doing my planning for those in my free time at school. Next week I am teaching eight, and that is how it will be until Christmas now. It is a lot more stressful planning for eight, which I feel a bit pathetic for saying considering we will eventually be doing 22+ when we get jobs. Speaking of which I've outright decided not to go into teaching. I still want to complete the course though.

We have another trainee at my school who is from a different uni, and she has a lot of free time at school, and is normally in the same workspace as I am. She literally does nothing apart from chat to people and read (fiction not academic) books in her spare time. She then moans at me how she has to work all night and weekend. If she spent her time at school actually doing the work then she would be able to have some time off at home!

Out of interest, have you chosen to only teach two lessons a week or is that your school?

Since the week after half term, I've been teaching 8 lessons a week... In addition, I have three collaborative lessons a week and 2 observations. And as I'm only in school Monday-Thursday, I get about 6 frees a week which means i'm doing a lot of work at home too.

I'm glad in a way - it means that I'm kinda used to the 8 hours a week now.

The first week was so difficult though.
Egj 8 hours, I have 11 hours and then 15 hours after Xmas!! It's strange how each uni is different
Two lessons to plan for tomorrow and I'm completely stuck on one of them D:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending