The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by yabbayabba
Not bigger just tighter. I've moved onto tighter elastics on my back molars now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh! Mine are already covering the whole jaw from the back to the front guess everyone is different :-/
Original post by Kelta86
Ahhh! Mine are already covering the whole jaw from the back to the front guess everyone is different :-/

Ah right, I only had one on each side of my mouth. I had surgery to correct an underbite

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 382
Ah right, I only had one on each side of my mouth. I had surgery to correct an underbite

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had my top jaw moved forward and pushed up and centre aligned and my bottom jaw moved forward as my top jaw was quite bucked. I have bands from the back going over my front on both sides they said my bite is perfect but the sides of my jaws need help staying where they are
Original post by Kelta86
I had my top jaw moved forward and pushed up and centre aligned and my bottom jaw moved forward as my top jaw was quite bucked. I have bands from the back going over my front on both sides they said my bite is perfect but the sides of my jaws need help staying where they are

Ah ok we're a bit different I guess. Sounds like you have to take off the elastics to eat. I had my bottom jaw moved back and top jaw forward, no rotation or anything. My bite isn't perfect yet, but the orthodontics over the next few months will deal with that hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 384
Ah ok we're a bit different I guess. Sounds like you have to take off the elastics to eat. I had my bottom jaw moved back and top jaw forward, no rotation or anything. My bite isn't perfect yet, but the orthodontics over the next few months will deal with that hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can fit a syringe in still with the bands on but I do take them off once or twice a day to clean and have something with more of a thick consistency
I might have to have jaw surgery for my underbite. I really don't want to. Eek.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I might have to have jaw surgery for my underbite. I really don't want to. Eek.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not forced to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 387
My stitches have just started to bleed on one side quite frequently anyone else had this problem?
Reply 388
Original post by VickityV
Hi there, yes I had (and still have) the silver braces. I had a friend with clear braces, but I always thought it looked like she hadn't brushed her teeth properly, because it looked like there was stuff on her teeth, but because it was clear you couldn't really tell what it was... silver braces make it obvious - each to their own though. :smile: I'm not sure if they do clear braces on the NHS.... might depend where you are.

I am back at work full time now - feeling fine apart from the pins and needlesy feeling in my skin. Looking forward to a big mac!! lol

Hi vicky did u ever experience bleeding from any stitches I'm 10 days post op and every now and then my stitches bleed is this normal do u know?
What is the minimum age to have Double Jaw Surgery? I've just been told from NHS that I may have to have braces for three years. (I am 16 at the moment) :frown:
Original post by KhizerAli
What is the minimum age to have Double Jaw Surgery? I've just been told from NHS that I may have to have braces for three years. (I am 16 at the moment) :frown:

Awww you're in the same position as I was when I was 16. I'm 18 now and hopefully having my surgery early next year so don't worry about it you will have it maybe by 2 years it all depends on the progress of your teeth alignment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 391

Hi I was offered surgery at 17 but never had it done was glad as now I've had it done at 28 I've been told the jaw still grows till about 25 n mind may still move slightly till my late 30s surgery is totally worth it tho....good luck :smile:
Original post by Marinaawesome
Awww you're in the same position as I was when I was 16. I'm 18 now and hopefully having my surgery early next year so don't worry about it you will have it maybe by 2 years it all depends on the progress of your teeth alignment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're nearly finishing up. Good luck! Hope it goes well!
Original post by Kelta86
Hi I was offered surgery at 17 but never had it done was glad as now I've had it done at 28 I've been told the jaw still grows till about 25 n mind may still move slightly till my late 30s surgery is totally worth it tho....good luck :smile:

Allright and Thanks :smile:
Reply 394
Allright and Thanks :smile:

Just be prepared as it is very hard but totally worth it I'm 3 weeks post op and the first week was horrendous but it does get better need any advice feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by Kelta86
Just be prepared as it is very hard but totally worth it I'm 3 weeks post op and the first week was horrendous but it does get better need any advice feel free to ask :smile:

That's great to hear it's getting better :smile:! and thanks, you've been pretty helpful so far, just need the two years to go by pretty quickly!
Please help ease my nerves right now guys.
After the double jaw opp, can you breathe from your nose for the first couple of weeks?
I read a leaflet from my hospital saying you can't breathe from your nose if you have the top jaw done for some weeks?!
That's making me so anxious.

I was meant to have just lower jaw opp but now my surgeon said I have to have top and bottom plus bone from my hop used to fill the upper jaw so my top teeth show more.
It's all too much to take in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so glad I found this page!!! I've had under bites my whole entire life, I was offered surgery at the age of 17 and my parents didn't want me to have it because they feared it would change/ruined my face but I was also too scared as well. Now I am 19 and at university, I feel so self-conscious more than I've ever been! I used to never think about my underbite until now, I really want the surgery, do any of you think I would be able to get the surgery under the NHS now that I am over 18? My underbite is quite severe. 😁😁😁😁
Original post by Marinaawesome
Please help ease my nerves right now guys.
After the double jaw opp, can you breathe from your nose for the first couple of weeks?
I read a leaflet from my hospital saying you can't breathe from your nose if you have the top jaw done for some weeks?!
That's making me so anxious.

I was meant to have just lower jaw opp but now my surgeon said I have to have top and bottom plus bone from my hop used to fill the upper jaw so my top teeth show more.
It's all too much to take in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can breathe through your nose in the first couple of weeks, though I found breathing through my mouth more comfortable during that period. What is a definite no-no is blowing your nose or sneezing, make sure you don't get sick during the first few weeks. It could do some damage as things are still healing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zoeychan
I'm so glad I found this page!!! I've had under bites my whole entire life, I was offered surgery at the age of 17 and my parents didn't want me to have it because they feared it would change/ruined my face but I was also too scared as well. Now I am 19 and at university, I feel so self-conscious more than I've ever been! I used to never think about my underbite until now, I really want the surgery, do any of you think I would be able to get the surgery under the NHS now that I am over 18? My underbite is quite severe. 😁😁😁😁

It may depend on the hospital. I would go to your local dental institute and ask if they will take you under NHS, I think it is worth it in the long run even though the braces and surgery are an inconvenience in the relative short term. Also it doesn't change your face that dramatically, it mostly improves your side profile

Posted from TSR Mobile