The Student Room Group

Any thoughts on these subjects?

For A-level I'd like to study English Literature, Maths (Mechanics), Art and Physics.
If you take any of these subjects please could you tell me whether you find it hard or easy, or in between.
Whether you enjoy the subjects or if you regret taking them..
thanks
i took english literature, it's a big jump from GCSE but it was quite good
I'm doing maths, and physics. If you take maths, you have to do the core units as well as two other units- so that's Mechanics, and most likely statistics. You can't just do mechanics. Other than that maths is not bad at all. It's probably the A Level I'm finding the easiest at the moment. If you like mechanics, and I'm assuming you do, you'll enjoy physics. I do OCR and the first exam we take is G481 Mechanics. Physics is probably the hardest subject that I'm taking (out of biology, chemistry, maths and physics). It requires a lot of independent work, and some concepts are a little weird, or hard to accept. But overall that's a pretty great set of subjects I'd say (depending on what you want to study at uni).
Original post by s.afiyyah
For A-level I'd like to study English Literature, Maths (Mechanics), Art and Physics.
If you take any of these subjects please could you tell me whether you find it hard or easy, or in between.
Whether you enjoy the subjects or if you regret taking them..
thanks

Though it's obviously down to ability and work ethic, I generally think english lit isn't too difficult. Personally, I feel it doesn't require too much effort as long as you know your texts well and get your exam technique right. I did not regret choosing it one bit, it was really enjoyable and I'd certainly choose it again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool combination! Do you want to be an architect by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did Maths (Decision) and Physics. I enjoyed Maths, and enjoyed Physics until the latter half of the year when we got to electricity and suchlike.

They both were my harder subjects (also took Biology and Media), although I found physics much more difficult.

What exam board are you on? I was on OCR for physics, and the textbook was useless at explaining Quantum Physics (the final module) IMO, and for this module I used Advancing Physics For You. It's a textbook not geared towards any exam board, so I would use it alongside your exam board's official textbook, but it explains everything in a much clearer sense than the OCR book.

Original post by victoria98
If you take maths, you have to do the core units as well as two other units- so that's Mechanics, and most likely statistics. You can't just do mechanics.

False. OP could do M1 in AS and M2 in A2 should they wish to.
Original post by loperdoper
I did Maths (Decision) and Physics. I enjoyed Maths, and enjoyed Physics until the latter half of the year when we got to electricity and suchlike.

They both were my harder subjects (also took Biology and Media), although I found physics much more difficult.

What exam board are you on? I was on OCR for physics, and the textbook was useless at explaining Quantum Physics (the final module) IMO, and for this module I used Advancing Physics For You. It's a textbook not geared towards any exam board, so I would use it alongside your exam board's official textbook, but it explains everything in a much clearer sense than the OCR book.

False. OP could do M1 in AS and M2 in A2 should they wish to.

Really? Well then I stand corrected. Although my school wouldn't let us do that. I tried to get out of doing Mechanics this year, to do decision or even statistics, but my teacher said it wasn't possible. Despite the fact I've been self teaching myself them in year 11. When I no longer had a maths teacher. Either way thanks for correcting me! I might try to drop mechanics again for the year. Although I guess it makes no difference if I do it this year or next.
Original post by victoria98
Really? Well then I stand corrected. Although my school wouldn't let us do that. I tried to get out of doing Mechanics this year, to do decision or even statistics, but my teacher said it wasn't possible. Despite the fact I've been self teaching myself them in year 11. When I no longer had a maths teacher. Either way thanks for correcting me! I might try to drop mechanics again for the year. Although I guess it makes no difference if I do it this year or next.

It's likely your school tried to stop you from doing it to make life easier for you - M2+/S2+/D2 are all A2 modules, whereas M1/S1/D1 are AS modules.

I tried to do M1, M2, D1 and D2 as part of Maths and AS Further, to avoid Statistics, but they are making me do S1 instead of M2 so I take as many AS modules as possible
Reply 8
If a-level art is anything like GCSE art, it will suck your soul out.

Maths C1 and C2 isn't that different from GCSE, the only new thing that was introduced was integration/differentiation and using trig graphs to find a value for x and such. I've not done any of the mechanics modules so far, so I can't comment on those, but people do say that M1 is basically just physics.

Physics is pretty cool, once you've got through electricity it's much better - electricity has got to be the most boring topic we've done so far.

Quick Reply

Latest